• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

engineer

Did you hear hiss from the A5X when nothing was playing? The MTMs are pretty good in this respect.

Yes, the hiss of Adam A5X was audible from a distance of about 80 cm. Surprisingly, my old Fluid F5 hisses less.
And I have one more question - IK MTM iLoud MTM have a rear bass reflex. Will it be a big problem if they are placed about 15 cm from the wall?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the hiss of Adam A5X was audible from a distance of about 80 cm. Surprisingly, my old Fluid F5 hisses less.
And I have one more question - IK MTM iLoud MTM have a rear bass reflex. Will it be a big problem if they are placed about 15 cm from the wall?

I don't think so. One of MTMs is 7cm from the rear wall, the other is in front of a bay window almost 1m in front of the glass. The ability to automatically and independantly correct each monitor was one of the reasons I purchased them.

engineer

Ok, thanks for the reply.
However, I would still have two practical questions:
1. What is the optimal connection of speakers with DAC? My DAC (Audinst HUD-MX2) has only outputs 2x RCA - will it be ok to use an RCA-XLR cable? (I ask mainly because of ground loops).
2. Do you use any stands or have them placed on the table?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
O

The optimal connection would be to drive them from a balanced interface/dac. I used to feed mine with a Topping E30 unbalanced DAC using RCA-XLR cables, but I couldn't get rid of the ground loop. I bought a Motu M4 and this fixed everything.

I have mine placed on thick granite slabs that have little rubber & felt "feet" under them. I angle the MTM's up a bit, toward my ears. I'm still looking for suitable microphone desk stands for them, but the ones I've tried so far either looked "ugly" or made the setup feel a little wobbly. I was afraid I'd easily knock them off the desk if I bumped into it, or if my toddler decided it was a good idea to give them a push. :p

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-08 at 11.37.00.jpeg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, thanks for the reply.
1. What is the optimal connection of speakers with DAC? My DAC (Audinst HUD-MX2) has only outputs 2x RCA - will it be ok to use an RCA-XLR cable? (I ask mainly because of ground loops).
2. Do you use any stands or have them placed on the table?

1. Balanced is preferable. Using an RCA to XLR cable will be single ended and will still be susceptible to ground loops. I recently switched from a single ended setup (Topping D50s/A50s) to a balanced all-in-one (Topping EX5) to resolve a ground loop issue. I now have DAC (XLR) to Sub8 (TRS) to MTM (TRS).

2. I have mine are on microphone stands to get the tweater to ear height: Desktop audio improvements | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

khark

You may be able to use the optical in of your DAC instead of USB, then RCA to XLR.

engineer

You may be able to use the optical in of your DAC instead of USB, then RCA to XLR.

Yes, I use an optical output on my DAC, because when I used a USB connection I could hear a significant hum from the woofers.
Btw. my current studio monitors (Fluid F5) are connected with an RCA-RCA cable and I don't hear any hum. So, it means that when I use an XLR-RCA cable (to connect iLoud MTM) it should be the same, right?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I use an optical output on my DAC, because when I used a USB connection I could hear a significant hum from the woofers.
Btw. my current studio monitors (Fluid F5) are connected with an RCA-RCA cable and I don't hear any hum. So, it means that when I use an XLR-RCA cable (to connect iLoud MTM) it should be the same, right?

The use of RCA leaves you open to ground loop issues. You cannot assume that you won't get any issues when swapping to different monitors.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just got a pair of these as my desktop speakers. Note, I'm not doing any sound engineering/studio work or anything — a more audio-savvy friend heavily recommended them to me and I just didn't feel like researching anything else.

Question: I've read in this thread that selection of the "LF extension" point somehow influences the speakers' dynamic range or otherwise "helps" them. How does that work?

In general, the thing which limits speaker output is low frequency output. In a passive speaker, it is the excursion of the woofer, and in an active speaker, it is both the woofer excursion and the limits of the amplifier.

By asking the speaker to play less low frequency content, the speaker can play the rest of the musical spectrum much louder.

If you don't listen to the speakers close to their limits, you are not likely to hear much if any improvement by reducing the low end extension.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted 90-degree cables for a cleaner setup, but a 90-degree XLR would run into the power cable. So, I found some neat XLR cables that have an adjustable angle.

Attachments

• PXL_20210909_222759534.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210909_222759534.NIGHT.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 211
  • PXL_20210909_223151058.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210909_223151058.NIGHT.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 220

khark

I was in a very similar same spot like you. I tried Adam A5X (and A3X), found them too harsh and fatiguing, returned them, bought MTMs and was immediately happy with them. I listen to them at a distance of 80cms too and close to the wall, no issues at all after calibration (bass can get boomy without it). For me, they are great, not just good, 2.0 desktop speakers, but ymmv. I use a SMSL Su-9 with them currently, but going balanced may not be strictly necessary. I have tried connecting them to a cheap Soundblaster G6 through its optical in and they sounded very nice without any ground loop problems, plus the G6 fits well with a convenient minimal setup.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand, I introduced a ground loop into my setup when I added the MTM's. I'd had no such issues with my previous monitors (Tannoy Reveal 402) as they had a 2 pin power connection (no safety ground).

Top Bottom