• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not ground loop hum that you get from unbalanced.

I ran with balanced.

It's just hiss that you can hear with no music playing or even during quiet passages.

A few people in this thread have noted the same.

I guess its possible they fixed it in later production units.

Oh you mean the whole 110v/220v transformer issue that some units seem to have? My friend's pair does this. He needs to use it with a converter to fix the issue. I got lucky, I guess.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Oh you mean the whole 110v/220v transformer issue that some units seem to have? My friend's pair does this. He needs to use it with a converter to fix the issue. I got lucky, I guess.
I don't know what this transformer issue is?

Can you share some info / background?

The hiss I had is simply the same hiss that many pro audio active monitors have at the tweeter - some better, some worse than others.

Vict0r

I don't know what this transformer issue is?

Can you share some info / background?

The hiss I had is simply the same hiss that many pro audio active monitors have at the tweeter - some better, some worse than others.
It's discussed a few pages back in this thread. :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's discussed a few pages back in this thread. :)
I only see "high pitched whine" related to transformer.

My was not transformer whine (I've heard that with other product).

Mine was the hiss common with pro audio monitors I found.

You won't hear the hiss with AC on or computer fan noise. Its only audible in dead silent room.

But my listening room has no fans so it was really obvious.

Vict0r

I only see "high pitched whine" related to transformer.

My was not transformer whine (I've heard that with other product).

Mine was the hiss common with pro audio monitors I found.

You won't hear the hiss with AC on or computer fan noise. Its only audible in dead silent room.

But my listening room has no fans so it was really obvious.

I tried it just now by turning off all PC fans. I really have to press my ear against the unit to hear a soft hiss, but it's much fainter than I've experienced with other studio monitors. I'm really quite satisfied with their silence. Do you hear the hiss when the speaker isn't connected to any input as well? So no cables into the MTM except for the power?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Do you hear the hiss when the speaker isn't connected to any input as well? So no cables into the MTM except for the power?

Correct so can't be ground loop

And that was 2m away

Its not loud hiss. Like i said if AC is on, I couldn't hear it.

My brain accepts AC noise but if AC is off, my brain for some reason finds active speaker hiss unacceptable :)

Maybe was just my unit at the time but i sold it

Tenfilip

Honestly, I dont hear the hiss, and any other noises - BUT I did hear them previously on some ****** cables with RCA to balanced converter etc. Currently using them on Focusrite, all true balanced, 230 v, no hiss.

Vict0r

I don't think such a thread would be relevant to this forum. Attached is a brief build log.
That build log is amazing! I'd love to see a video of the sim in action!

thevisi0nary

Hello everyone, I read through all the pages and didn’t see horizontal orientation talked about too much so wanted to ask.

I have a small desk, limited space, and a lot of computer monitors. I was thinking of getting these to lay horizontally under the monitors and use something custom to properly angle them upwards.

Would I be destroying the benefits of the speakers with this set up? They come with a horizontal stand, but almost never see anyone using them this way, perhaps because the horizontal stand has no height adjustment.

Thank you for any help.

Tenfilip

Hello everyone, I read through all the pages and didn’t see horizontal orientation talked about too much so wanted to ask.

I have a small desk, limited space, and a lot of computer monitors. I was thinking of getting these to lay horizontally under the monitors and use something custom to properly angle them upwards.

Would I be destroying the benefits of the speakers with this set up? They come with a horizontal stand, but almost never see anyone using them this way, perhaps because the horizontal stand has no height adjustment.

Thank you for any help.
You can adjust height by just getting something under it. Which you should do, since these could benefit from both from decoupling it from desk (especially if you are going to use them full range, also you probably wont like a shaking desk), as well as reducing reflection from desk surface (I use a huge mouse pad (like 120x70 cm) which helps a bit as well).

My experience was that - especially given the MTM design - it's not the best setup. But I would go with it, if I wouldnt have any other option, e.g. for ultrawide LCD. But the performance will be reduced, still not all to be accounted for vertical setup as much as for desk proximity.

I would consider using high pass for these, and a on floor subwoofer (or two).

paudio

I successfully pole mounted these on my desk. I bought:

Clamp:

Extension rod:

Counter nuts:

One side has a counter nut and the other side doesn't which allows you to tighten the speakers easily at the right angle with <1/4" height difference. Could easily use a some washers or something the same height.

20220714_004652.jpg

I also bought some original strength lightdim stickers and dimmed the front power light and rear option lights which were way too bright.

20220714_000505.jpg

Last edited:

Vict0r

One side has a counter nut and the other side doesn't which allows you to tighten the speakers easily at the right angle with <1/4" height difference. Could easily use a some washers or something the same height.

View attachment 218239

I also bought some original strength lightdim stickers and dimmed the front power light and rear option lights which were way too bright.

View attachment 218240

What's the extension rod you attached to the clamps to get them to the proper hight?

Vict0r

Yes. The link was there but it was easy to miss. Edited post for clarity.
Fantastic! Thanks. So how do you adjust the height? Or is it fixed?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Clamp:

Extension rod:

Counter nuts:

View attachment 218239

View attachment 218240

Lovely stuff!

You can add right angled TRS and power connectors to finish the job :)

IMG_20220715_134940 (Small).jpg
IMG_20220715_134956 (Small).jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just replaced my DT speakers (Dali Lektor) for the MTM.
Once calibrated they sound excellent. Set at 40Hz there is subwoofer type bass.
Just not very loud (as Amir mentioned) and when low frequencies are played loud there is substantial port noise.
At normal levels these sound really excellent though.
Was torn between the KH80 and this one but the calibration mic is truly a blessing and saves me a lot of trouble and are cheaper.
Of course the KH80 can go louder but I don't need that.

Top Bottom