• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi Zen Phono

Godataloss

What cartridge are you using?
I recently purchased the AT OC9XSL. I wavered over that and getting the LVB stylus for my Ortofon Black. The massive difference in gain between the Black and the AT proved to be a problem for my Fosgate Signature phono. The hi gain 60db setting induced unacceptable noise that was totally absent with the Black. Granted this was at higher volume levels and didn't seem audible over program material, but for me, part of the enjoyment of owning a full range high efficiency setup is the music 'jumping' out of absolute silent backgrounds. This led me to look at maybe implementing a SUT for a gain boost. Searching for a decent SUT led me to the iFi Zen and I figured why not try it since I could return it hassle free. I'm glad I did. I really like the Fosgate, but I find nothing lacking in the Zen- other than noise in high gain mode. Both the MC lo and MC hi gain setting work well with the OC9XSL. It tracks like a clairvoyant ninja and I've heard nothing suggesting the zen lacking in headroom when the mix gets hot. The new Craft Recordings release of Miles Davis's Relaxin' that everyone seems to be complaining about plays without a hitch and sounds extraordinary.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I recently purchased the AT OC9XSL. I wavered over that and getting the LVB stylus for my Ortofon Black. The massive difference in gain between the Black and the AT proved to be a problem for my Fosgate Signature phono. The hi gain 60db setting induced unacceptable noise that was totally absent with the Black. Granted this was at higher volume levels and didn't seem audible over program material, but for me, part of the enjoyment of owning a full range high efficiency setup is the music 'jumping' out of absolute silent backgrounds. This led me to look at maybe implementing a SUT for a gain boost. Searching for a decent SUT led me to the iFi Zen and I figured why not try it since I could return it hassle free. I'm glad I did. I really like the Fosgate, but I find nothing lacking in the Zen- other than noise in high gain mode. Both the MC lo and MC hi gain setting work well with the OC9XSL. It tracks like a clairvoyant ninja and I've heard nothing suggesting the zen lacking in headroom when the mix gets hot. The new Craft Recordings release of Miles Davis's Relaxin' that everyone seems to be complaining about plays without a hitch and sounds extraordinary.
Given you have the balanced cable, you have 66 db at setting 3 at 1000 ohm load - which is plenty of gain for that cartridge. The highest gain setting is really meant for lower output cartridges. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could add a resistor in the RCA plugs on your phono cable - if your plugs can be disassembled - to tune your load. I think there is a female to male RCA plug that has loading resistors - commercial product - probably more convenient for testing different loads. A 150 ohm resistor in the RCA - center to shield - will give you 130 ohms with the 1000 ohm load of setting “3”.
Actually, one of the things I like about the Zen is the limited settings, the Phonomena 2+ had too many choices!

Godataloss

I haven't tried the MC v-low with the balanced cable. 78db of gain would likely be overkill- not sure my preamp has enough swing. Running it single ended 72db was a bit high in the same way 60db was just a bit low. The balanced cable seems to hit the sweet spot that the massive output of the Ortofon Black got my ears conditioned to. Does the change in output impedance with the balanced cable affect the loading at all?

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I haven't tried the MC v-low with the balanced cable. 78db of gain would likely be overkill- not sure my preamp has enough swing. Running it single ended 72db was a bit high in the same way 60db was just a bit low. The balanced cable seems to hit the sweet spot that the massive output of the Ortofon Black got my ears conditioned to. Does the change in output impedance with the balanced cable affect the loading at all?
Loading is only on the input to the Zen. If it sounds tonally balanced you should be fine with the 1000 ohm load to your cartridge.

Top Bottom