• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe in order to keep it a balanced connection? i'm not sure...

It definitely wouldnt be balanced then. Would need to be 4.4 to 4.4 for that. I think you will get sound from 4.4 to RCA- but it will have none of the balanced properties including increased voltage and noise rejection.

My concern is that 4.4 to RCA might be harmful, but I dont think so, thats the bit I want someone else to check.

phattio

It definitely wouldnt be balanced then. Would need to be 4.4 to 4.4 for that. I think you will get sound from 4.4 to RCA- but it will have none of the balanced properties including increased voltage and noise rejection.

My concern is that 4.4 to RCA might be harmful, but I dont think so, thats the bit I want someone else to check.

i see! thank you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i see! thank you!

I would say if you cant find (for the right price) a 4.4 to 4.4 and dont need to use both sets of outputs, just go RCA to RCA- or dont buy the Zen stack

zjx1017

you might need sth like this
1596802785869.png

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm do you think you'll be measuring their new $169 Amp the iFi Zen-Can ? I've read it's a lot cleaner.
I think it'll happen if someone offers to send him one. I don't think iFi is the kind of company that will send Amir stuff by their own accord.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it'll happen if someone offers to send him one. I don't think iFi is the kind of company that will send Amir stuff by their own accord.

Not if it performs like the Zen DAC.

Asylum Seeker

Why disabuse the public of the notion that their products are well designed and implemented with tests if the court of public opinion has already hyped the product and ruled it great? The rational choice is to avoid ASR.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Why disabuse the public of the notion that their products are well designed and implemented with tests if the court of public opinion has already hyped the product and ruled it great? The rational choice is to avoid ASR.
I give this one about a gibberish out of 10.

How does one even disabuse something, let alone the public? o_O If that was supposed to be disavow, well, epic faceplant. Look kids, here's a good example of why you shouldn't be writing like an utter snob if you don't have the chops to back it up. (Yes that includes you, aspiring writers. Take some pity on your fellow humans, and maybe a course on how communication works.)

Let's not even get started with the "one million flies can't be wrong" type argument, that hat is so old that it has literally grown a beard and turned to dust.

Asylum Seeker

How does one even disabuse something, let alone the public? o_O If that was supposed to be disavow, well, epic faceplant. Look kids, here's a good example of why you shouldn't be writing like an utter snob if you don't have the chops to back it up. (Yes that includes you, aspiring writers. Take some pity on your fellow humans, and maybe a course on how communication works.)

Let's not even get started with the "one million flies can't be wrong" type argument, that hat is so old that it has literally grown a beard and turned to dust.

It would appear that you are ignorant to the fact that 'to disabuse' is a proper word, a transitive verb of the English language. You may wish to improve your knowledge of the language before chastising others for their diction. I will assume that English is not your native tongue for the alternative would be embarrassing, pitiful.

Screenshot_2020-08-15-15-15-55-224_com.android.chrome.jpg

There's a missing 'not' in that sentence. Otherwise, I stand by it.

Last edited:

Taddpole

Is this a new Zen Dac https://www.hifinews.com/content/ifi-audio-zen-dac-usb-dacheadphone-amp ? Published few days ago, Aug 24th. As I was reading, noticed that the rear has a 2.5mm balanced out which is different than the unit reviewed here which uses 4.4mm balanced out. If it is a different unit, wonder what else is different. Thanks

Rear picture looks identical to the one on here and in their pics the port looks same size as the one on front. Suspect they are just wrong.

zjx1017

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks @Taddpole and @zjx1017 for replying. Yeah even the name is the same. Didn't even mention "v2" or "pro" etc. This dac/amp came out last year so I was confused why the recent article from hifinews.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
would it measure differently after the GTO firmware update?

Top Bottom