• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

mateematy

What are the limitations of the iFi headphone amp ? Can it drive the HD600 or HD660s, or just more efficient headphones like the Meze 99Classics or the ATH M40x ?

usersky

Forum Donor
What are the limitations of the iFi headphone amp ? Can it drive the HD600 or HD660s, or just more efficient headphones like the Meze 99Classics or the ATH M40x ?

To my taste zen dac was underpowered even for hd600. I returned it for this only reason.

mateematy

I hooked everything up, but still hear a hiss in the speakers when music is not playing. Is that because of the unbalanced connection ?

Zek

Major Contributor
Could that hiss come from the speakers themselves?

Africanman

I've not tried the Sennheisers on my iFi Zen dac, but it powers my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and Hifiman HE4XX (planar magnetics) beautifully. It's too loud for my ears if I go beyond the 1 o'clock position on the volume dial.

mateematy

I've not tried the Sennheisers on my iFi Zen dac, but it powers my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and Hifiman HE4XX (planar magnetics) beautifully. It's too loud for my ears if I go beyond the 1 o'clock position on the volume dial.
That’s great to hear, as I was also thinking about the DT770 80Ohms. Also do you know how to solve ground loop problem ?Thank you !

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Well DSD1793 are like $6 apiece, probably much cheaper with the kind of bulk amounts they'd order. They could indeed use a more modern chip at that price.
Endgame comment.

robnescor

Hi, request your opinion please. I'm actually listen music from my flac library and Tidal HIFI and MQA, in my laptop and HD 58x Jubilee. Due to the limit of my budget (u$S200), I'm thinking to buy some dac amp. What's your suggestion? thanks in advance

zjx1017

Hi, request your opinion please. I'm actually listen music from my flac library and Tidal HIFI and MQA, in my laptop and HD 58x Jubilee. Due to the limit of my budget (u$S200), I'm thinking to buy some dac amp. What's your suggestion? thanks in advance
well in that case you should consider this Zen dac or hip dac

faitoq

~Help!~
If I own iFi Zen DAC/Hip DAC and upgrade to SMSL SU-8~THX 789 stack will I hear a noticeable difference? It is a 150$ vs 600$, is it worth it?

Veri

Master Contributor
~Help!~
If I own iFi Zen DAC/Hip DAC and upgrade to SMSL SU-8~THX 789 stack will I hear a noticeable difference? It is a 150$ vs 600$, is it worth it?
From my experience the THX amp has a lot less distortion than the iFi devices. It is a lot cleaner.

faitoq

From my experience the THX amp has a lot less distortion than the iFi devices. It is a lot cleaner.
Is it worth it to spend 500 to 600 dollars to upgrade from my ifi dac amp to SMSL SU8 THX 789 stack? I am just hesitant because I will be spending money for this audio equipment and might not hear a noticeable difference.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it worth it to spend 500 to 600 dollars to upgrade from my ifi dac amp to SMSL SU8 THX 789 stack? I am just hesitant because I will be spending money for this audio equipment and might not hear a noticeable difference.

What headphones will you be using with it?

Veri

Master Contributor
Imo balanced DACs are rather overrated for home use. "balanced in balanced out" is really some Zeos review meme.
$299 drop 789 and a nice SE DAC like the $129 Topping E30 works out to a lot less than $600.

faitoq

Imo balanced DACs are rather overrated for home use. "balanced in balanced out" is really some Zeos review meme.
$299 drop 789 and a nice SE DAC like the $129 Topping E30 works out to a lot less than $600.
Is that stack far better than Zen DAC? Sorry I just want to know because I might be disappointed after hearing not much of difference and spent that amount of money.

Top Bottom