• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Veri

Master Contributor
hmm. i orderet this my local hifistore. and they say no longer in stock. they ordered new version 2 and give that same price, normally 40e more. But i dont find anything in google , what is different
Looks like it really is just 'Zen Dac V2'. https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac-v2/
Xmos XU208 is no longer available for sale so they're forced to use XU216 now. Hence the mandatory 'upgraded' product.

darkfin

i looked, what hi-fi virtual show. ifi product showcase. they say this pring is goming new version2 zen dac. i get it next monday. i am so excited

darkfin

xmos upgrade 16bit. and then full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz, also upgrade clocking circuit smaller jitter

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Does it change anything significantly or it is basically the same?
It looks like the changes appear to be only digital, higher XMOS processing power. I don't believe it will change performance.

LaL

xmos upgrade 16bit. and then full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz, also upgrade clocking circuit smaller jitter

With iFi's most recent production runs (New Serial Numbers) - you can no longer roll back the firmware to (5.2 Limoncello) which does not support MQA - but has a more natural sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
With iFi's most recent production runs (New Serial Numbers) - you can no longer roll back the firmware to (5.2 Limoncello) which does not support MQA
Well that sucks..

CyBorek

Hi all!
This is my first post :)
So after a long reading of this topic I bought ZEN DAC V2 (got it for same price as old one) as I needed DAC upgrade in my RIG. I have SMSL SA300 AMP driving DALI Oberons 7, connected to Mibox 4k (USB) and to LG Oled B8 (Jack - RCA). Sound was pretty OK, but not great. Deezer streaming from Oled B8 sounds better then MiBox with Tidal.
After ZEN upgrade I am now streaming Tidal Master via USB AudioPlayerPro and it sounds amazing. Sound is better in every aspect. Finally I could turn off SDB on the AMP and run pure DIRECT mode and love the sound (ZEN is set on FIXED).

MQA is fully decoded as it lights up ZEN knob with magenta, and all this on cheap MiBox with androidTV.

Love it.

I am super satisfied as, in my opinion, this setup sounds close to some Marantz AMP + DAC web pkayer worth over 3000$, which I had opportunity to test some time ago in a local hifi audio shop. And all of the hardware costs me only close to 440$.

Now I am waiting for the SMSL DA9 I have ordered to use balance output from ZEN. This new AMP should bring some significant improvement more joy in my ears.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi all!
This is my first post :)
So after a long reading of this topic I bought ZEN DAC V2 (got it for same price as old one) as I needed DAC upgrade in my RIG. I have SMSL SA300 AMP driving DALI Oberons 7, connected to Mibox 4k (USB) and to LG Oled B8 (Jack - RCA). Sound was pretty OK, but not great. Deezer streaming from Oled B8 sounds better then MiBox with Tidal.
After ZEN upgrade I am now streaming Tidal Master via USB AudioPlayerPro and it sounds amazing. Sound is better in every aspect. Finally I could turn off SDB on the AMP and run pure DIRECT mode and love the sound (ZEN is set on FIXED).

MQA is fully decoded as it lights up ZEN knob with magenta, and all this on cheap MiBox with androidTV.

Love it.

I am super satisfied as, in my opinion, this setup sounds close to some Marantz AMP + DAC web pkayer worth over 3000$, which I had opportunity to test some time ago in a local hifi audio shop. And all of the hardware costs me only close to 440$.

Now I am waiting for the SMSL DA9 I have ordered to use balance output from ZEN. This new AMP should bring some significant improvement more joy in my ears.
Welcome Aboard @CyBorek.

Haze

With iFi's most recent production runs (New Serial Numbers) - you can no longer roll back the firmware to (5.2 Limoncello) which does not support MQA - but has a more natural sound.

Do you find with the Limoncello firmware the dac is cutting off the start of audio with, for example, youtube videos?

LaL

Do you find with the Limoncello firmware the dac is cutting off the start of audio with, for example, youtube videos?
I've never experienced that with the 5.2b firmware. - Isn't that something that happens with MQA ??

Haze

I've never experienced that with the 5.2b firmware. - Isn't that something that happens with MQA ??
Honestly I have no idea what's causing it but it is worse for me with the 5.2 firmware than the 5.3 GTO firmware.

Edit: No wait I was using 5.20. 5.2b fixed it.

Last edited:

SilverWolf

Question for any owners, are both line outs (RCA/Balanced) active all the time on the DAC when in fixed mode? I assume they are but just thought I'd ask lol.

I'm wondering about using the Zen DAC V2 with a Zen Can's amp, I figure the dac's balanced out into the amp's balanced in obviously. Then the dac's RCA outs for a line to feed some sub's and the balanced line out on the amps (rear) to XLR for my active studio monitors.

So not just for headphone use but whole desktop solution, sound workable?

Haze

Quick question. When using the Zen Dac without it's xmos drivers does windows only show 32bit sound options for everyone else? ifi's driver is competitively ancient and completely unnecessary on modern Windows. Lower that 32bit options are still need for compatibility release though.

Veri

Master Contributor
Quick question. When using the Zen Dac without it's xmos drivers does windows only show 32bit sound options for everyone else?

This is the standard UAC2.0 driver behavior here. Install iFi's ancient driver if you need all rates.

PiterSan

Hi, just a quick question.
It is stated that Zen DAC may deliver better performance when powered with external power supply. As addition the best (low noise) power supply are battery (powerbank). I have one which outputs 5V/3A by defualt but having QC3 and PD3 It may switch up to 9V/2A or 12V/1.5A

What I understood QC3 works by delivering lowest voltage by default but it can switch to other voltages if connected device is QC compatible. If not It will deliver max 5V/3A.
My question is, is it safe to power Zen DAC with such a battery? I'm almost sure ZEN will not negotiate upper voltages, but anyway what could possibly happen if battery would feed Zen with 9V or 12V?

LaL

The grounding issues with my Zen Can have magically fixed themselves. I can now run the Zen stack balanced without the RCA plugged in without issue. I have no idea why.

I upgraded to the Zen-Dac-Signature and just heard the ground loop. It turns out it's not the Zen-Can amp - but actually the balanced 4.4mm lineout socket on the Dac. The alignment must be slightly off and the poles don't quite align and you can hear the buzzing hum - but push the jack right or left - or pull the jack out a tiny bit and it goes away.

(Edit) I just pushed in the the back panel on the case and it now feels like the 4.4mm Jack is clicking in more securely. I think the back panel was not seated correctly and was preventing the jack from going in all the way)

The Siganture-Dac does sound better than the regular iFi Zen-Dac particularly in the highs, it's definitely cleaner and has more separation.
I bought it as an open box from Amazon for £217, so I have 30 days to return it - but if the issue does not come back I'm going to keep it as it sounds really great.

Attachments

• ifi.jpg
    ifi.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Johannes AU

Hello Amir, Hello fellow members :)

I bought the Zen Dac several months ago, the purpose is for streaming/Playback Apple Music from my Mac Mini or iPhone/iPod, I need a headphone amp though my headphones are not hard to drive ones .... I am pleased with the performance of the Zen Dac but it is not good enough, it is not expensive in Hongkong, so price-wise it did the job well, I do not use a power transformer for the additional 5V power but a power bank instead, supposed it is clean enough and strong enough ....

I also own the Yamaha WXA-50 which has a DAC inside (which Amir recommended), sometimes I use Musiccast sometimes I use the AUX input to get the signal from Zen Dac, all good. The combination is not perfect at all, some will say it is cheap, but it is for my music ..... only music ...

How it sounds? I cannot tell, I do not know how to describe the sound, but I am fine with the performance of the Yamaha-Zen Dac combination, Ar ... I forget to tell, the Yamaha WXA-50 drive a pair of DALI Spektor 1, I enjoy small system, fit my desk top for near field listening, and few months ago I add a Yamaha NS-SW050 subwoofer to the system.

Headphone(s) .... I have Sennheiser PXC 550 II, for noise cancelling while travelling inflight, wired while at home, seldom use bluetooth unless watching TV. another wired headphone is Austrian Audio Hi-X55 which I enjoy it so much ..... I also own a few cheap IEMs ......

Recently I want a better DAC, which can fullfill more needs from me, so I ordered the RME ADI-2 DAC Fs ... crazy right? it cost more than the whole AMP/Speaker system .... :p But I think it worth the price if I need a better stereo system in future ....

The only thing I am not enjoy is, when playback from Mac Mini, the Audio Midi setup is a pain .....

Top Bottom