• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Veri

Master Contributor
I own a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro, which as a dongle measures comparably to some $100 desktop DACs. I just ordered an iFi Hip-Dac. So, I'll be curious to hear if my tinnitus-ravaged, almost 56-year-old ears can really tell the difference between the sound quality of these two DAC-amps.
Would be curious. My go-to at work is a cheap meizu usb-c dongle and I think it sounds really great ;) no complaints..

PS, I might be younger but my ears are also tinnitus-ravaged, for 11 years now and counting..

pk500

Would be curious. My go-to at work is a cheap meizu usb-c dongle and I think it sounds really great ;) no complaints..

PS, I might be younger but my ears are also tinnitus-ravaged, for 11 years now and counting..

Tinnitus sucks hard. I've worked in professional motorsports for the last 30 years, have played in a rock band for the last eight years and have been to countless club and arena rock shows. I never took great care to protect my hearing until the last eight to 10 years, and it was too late.

Free advice to all ASR forum readers: Protect your hearing at all costs. Don't crank your cans or IEMs to ear-bleeding levels. Wear ear plugs at shows and when using power equipment, even a lawn mower.

You don't want tinnitus unless you savor the thought of a field filled with 1,000 crickets in both of your ears 24/7/365. No exaggeration.

LoyK

If anyone is interested/did not know: This is a comparison between TrueBass On/off on the ZEN DAC I just measured.
I think it sounds really good/fun for some tracks but generally I tend to subtract some bass via EQ when using it.

iFi ZEN DAC TrueBass.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone is interested/did not know: This is a comparison between TrueBass On/off on the ZEN DAC I just measured.
I think it sounds really good/fun for some tracks but generally I tend to subtract some bass via EQ when using it.

View attachment 123642

Be interested if you could compare how it sounds with TrueBass on vs a software EQ of the same bass lift with TB off.

LaL

View attachment 123642
Yes, the True-Bass on the Zen-Dac really is to much for most music,
but the X-Bass on the Zen-Can Amp is so good with almost everything.
It just so subtle it's perfect with Sundara and hd600.

LoyK

Be interested if you could compare how it sounds with TrueBass on vs a software EQ of the same bass lift with TB off.

The problem is: When I go with about +11 dB @20Hz and therefore -11 dB pregain the ZEN DAC alone has a hard time driving most headphones (unbalanced). I can try it but I don´t think I would ever do such EQ in software.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is: When I go with about +11 dB @20Hz and therefore -11 dB pregain the ZEN DAC alone has a hard time driving most headphones (unbalanced). I can try it but I don´t think I would ever do such EQ in software.
Fair enough.

sulfuriq

There will be a difference of loudness when using power supply adapter than using power from USB 3. I just use cheap 5V 3A Power Adapter and using Vention USB 3.0 A Male to B Male Cable USB 3.0.

Muca

The review is really harsh.
I am daily driving it while working with 660s with balanced out.
The dac sounds spacious somehow and chilled. Technically not the best sound but relaxed, perfect for working.

Build quality is WAY better than anything from any chinese for any product under 500$. I had / have SMSL, Topping and xduoo for triple the price which feels like cheap entry product compared.
This volume knob is a pleasure to use, chinese companies take notice. invest 20 cents more into your volume knobs.

The unbalanced is way worse, at least on my unit, would not recommend it for unbalanced.

darkfin

hmm. i orderet this my local hifistore. and they say no longer in stock. they ordered new version 2 and give that same price, normally 40e more. But i dont find anything in google , what is different

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
The review is really harsh.
I am daily driving it while working with 660s with balanced out.
The dac sounds spacious somehow and chilled. Technically not the best sound but relaxed, perfect for working.

Build quality is WAY better than anything from any chinese for any product under 500$. I had / have SMSL, Topping and xduoo for triple the price which feels like cheap entry product compared.
This volume knob is a pleasure to use, chinese companies take notice. invest 20 cents more into your volume knobs.

The unbalanced is way worse, at least on my unit, would not recommend it for unbalanced.
I use the zen dac with zen can and the amplification from the can is way better than the zen dac's amp with plenty of power. Using hd600 and hd6xx with the setup.

LoyK

Keep in mind that Zen DAC signature has no headphone output and therefore no TrueBass feature, so it is not a Zen DAC V2 I guess.
The Zen DAC seems to be sold out in most places - but I don´t think it has been discontinued?

I have ordered some 4.4mm balanced cable to test balanced output of the Zen DAC. I guess some extra juice/headroom is always nice.
Despite the meh review I really like my Zen DAC.

darkfin

Yeah, i am mostly interested dac features. Zen DAC signature sounds better to my needs.

the importer's warehouse was also empty The Zen DAC

LaL

hmm. i orderet this my local hifistore. and they say no longer in stock. they ordered new version 2 and give that same price, normally 40e more. But i dont find anything in google , what is different
If it's only 40€ more,
they must be ordering the (Zen-Can Amp only) , not the Zen-Dac signature.

But it seems like the price of the (Zen-Can Amp only) has dropped a little in Europe to €159
https://Amazon.de/dp/B08DJ4NJH5

Zen-Dac €150
https://Amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YZK5MDS

Last edited:

darkfin

next week i see what they ordered. its wierd if they ordered headphoneamp. because i first ordered dac/amp. zen can is also different categorias ,ifi website. or maybe there is goming new version 2 zen dac not yet visible anywhere?

Reactions: LaL

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
GRAIN OF SALT WARNING

I've used Creative Aurvana Live with my smartphone (Mi Note 10 Lite) exclusively for a month and then comeback to my Zen Dac, i immediately noticed that it has bigger soundstage (latest GTO gimmick firmware). It's also not as warm as the smartphone.

Top Bottom