• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

LaL

The 4.4mm line-out is just the same, at fixed higher output, more noise, overall less performant. So only worth it if you *need* the additional voltage.
With Low gain being cleaner, do you think you could get 3V on variable, with full volume on low gain ??
Line Section Balanced 4.4mm (Fixed 4.2V) (Variable 2V— 6.2V)

raif71

Major Contributor
I received my Apple USB-C headphone adapter....
Well, I use a USB female to male adpater, and the Apple dongle works with my RHA MA750i (16 Ohm) and another Sony heaphone (a cheap one)
However, it doesn't work with a Senheiser PX-100 (32 ohm impedance)......Would anyone know why? Is it because of the impedance?
It does seem like you didn't push all the way the px-100 into the apple dongle but I could be wrong.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my Apple USB-C headphone adapter....
Well, I use a USB female to male adpater, and the Apple dongle works with my RHA MA750i (16 Ohm) and another Sony heaphone (a cheap one)
However, it doesn't work with a Senheiser PX-100 (32 ohm impedance)......Would anyone know why? Is it because of the impedance?

Impedance shouldnt mean no sound. My guess , does the PX-100 have a mic cable? I bet its wired up with the other version (apparently there are 2 ways inline mics can be wired to the jack) that isnt the apple preferred way. You can get adapters cheap from amazon if thats the case

M83

-Old burr brown chip chosen for unproven audiophile reasons, barely reaching 16-bit threshold of 96dB resolution, which is subpar
-Too many other competing product on the market today, offering better performance (+more and more MQA capable ones)
-Even when connecting the 5V iFi wallwart, the Zen DAC is a pretty low output all-in-one, essentially pushing you onto buying a Zen Can as well.
Please clarify your first point.

Re point 2, which others would you recommend? Are they a similar price point?

I agree with your third point, however personally I intend to use the Zen Dac with a Garage1217 Project Polaris. I'm mainly interested in the Dac functionality in the Zen Dac. Although, for my low impedance headphones I find that I enjoy the Zen Dac as an amp too, especially as I can power from my laptop elsewhere in my house. I am looking for a sensibly priced UK 5v mains adapter to use as I am not spending £50 GBP on a power adapter (yet).

Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Please clarify your first point.

Re point 2, which others would you recommend? Are they a similar price point?

I agree with your third point, however personally I intend to use the Zen Dac with a Garage1217 Project Polaris. I'm mainly interested in the Dac functionality in the Zen Dac. Although, for my low impedance headphones I find that I enjoy the Zen Dac as an amp too, especially as I can power from my laptop elsewhere in my house. I am looking for a sensibly priced UK 5v mains adapter to use as I am not spending £50 GBP on a power adapter (yet).

Thanks
iFi insists on using the older 1793 chip because "it sounds best" which is a subjective claim and not at all proven. The DAC I'm currently using is using the PCM1794A flagchip in dual mono mode which is specced at 130dB SNR/DR, objectively that's a whole lot better than the one iFi uses, which is both a cheaper and an older part. But they'll tell you it'll sound better. See where I'm going with this?

I'm not the expert on MQA but there's more and more DACs and dongles that will support its decoding, especially now that ESS Sabre has released chips that can decode it on DAC level rather than on (USB) receiver level, so you can only expect still more MQA-capable cheaper devices out soon enough. I can think of the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and the SMSL M500 at least.. both more expensive than the Zen Dac I'll give you that. The SMSL M500 head-amp is much more powerful than Zen Dac though.
About the power supply question, you should know that Amir tends to use a simple Samsung 5V adapter of no renown or big cost. Most DACs apply power filtering at the input after all, and the quality of power supply should be inconsequential.

Last edited:

M83

iFi insists on using the older 1793 chip because "it sounds best" which is a subjective claim and not at all proven. The DAC I'm currently using is using the PCM1794A flagchip in dual mono mode which is specced at 130dB SNR/DR, objectively that's a whole lot better than the one iFi uses, which is both a cheaper and an older part. But they'll tell you it'll sound better. See where I'm going with this?

I'm not the expert on MQA but there's more and more DACs and dongles that will support its decoding, especially now that ESS Sabre has released chips that can decode it on DAC level rather than on (USB) receiver level, so you can only expect still more MQA-capable cheaper devices out soon enough. I can think of the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and the SMSL M500 at least.. both more expensive than the Zen Dac I'll give you that. The SMSL M500 head-amp is much more powerful than Zen Dac though.
About the power supply question, you should know that Amir tends to use a simple Samsung 5V adapter of no renown or big cost. Most DACs apply power filtering at the input after all, and the quality of power supply should be inconsequential.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I see where you're going with that. I assume ifi sticking with the older chipset is a mix of cost, familiarity, optimisation/integration along with possibly trying to achieve a "house sound" perhaps?

I had considered SMSL branded kit, but I'm unfamiliar with the brand and was not confident enough to try them.

Okay thanks re the adapter - I will have a look on Amazon UK for something.

All things considered, it's really interesting that I prefer the sound of my Denon D2000 & Philips Fidelio X2HR with the Zen Dac over the Fiio K5 Pro. My ears/brain appear to prefer the Zen. Perhaps the K5 is more accurate but in being so it is not as easy a listen? Also lower freq's seem fuller.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your reply. Yes I see where you're going with that. I assume ifi sticking with the older chipset is a mix of cost, familiarity, optimisation/integration along with possibly trying to achieve a "house sound" perhaps?
All things considered, it's really interesting that I prefer the sound of my Denon D2000 & Philips Fidelio X2HR with the Zen Dac over the Fiio K5 Pro. My ears/brain appear to prefer the Zen. Perhaps the K5 is more accurate but in being so it is not as easy a listen? Also lower freq's seem fuller.
Hard to say. I can't be too trusting of their logic but at least they have a solid fanbase from what it seems. About your set-up. If you end up with something you like I wouldn't overthink it ;) sometimes things just work~ and be mindful of the upgrade bug!

vins555

me too i stay on 5.2b. Because on 5,3 it goes to sleep constantly after 3 seconds and cuts of the biginnig of the sound .

raif71

Major Contributor
Just ordered one of these for the Zen Dac - BOLWEO AC 100-240V to DC 5V 2A Power Supply Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Downgraded Zen Dac from 5.3C to 5.2 this evening to see how I get on- I think there is a subtle difference between them with a preference for 5.2. Decided to leave it on 5.2 for the foreseeable.
I'm interested to know your user experience with the adapter. I'm currently using just barrel to usb for power, connecting the usb to a power strip that has usb 2.0 jack. When your adapter arrives and after using it, appreciate some input. Thanks.

M83

I'm interested to know your user experience with the adapter. I'm currently using just barrel to usb for power, connecting the usb to a power strip that has usb 2.0 jack. When your adapter arrives and after using it, appreciate some input. Thanks.
Sure I'll let you know how I get on with it. It's due on Tuesday.

M83

Hey. My power adapter has arrived. I notice audibly when the transition from usb power to mains adapter is made, but I cannot notice any difference in sq between usb & mains.

I'm glad I bought the mains adapter as I prefer to run from mains and it means I can using my phone as source at some point.

I have also changed from a non-shielded usb cable to shielded one. Again, no perceptible change.

I suspect that my pc is pretty good in that there is no electrical interference affecting the Zen dac in the first place (?)

Last edited:

Noodles

They insist to use the old burr brown chip 'cause they have a ton of stockpile and they already built the circuit design for it.
Hey. My power adapter has arrived. I notice audibly when the transition from usb power to mains adapter is made, but I cannot notice any difference in sq between usb & mains.

I'm glad I bought the mains adapter as I prefer to run from mains and it means I can using my phone as source at some point.

I have also changed from a non-shielded usb cable to shielded one. Again, no perceptible change.

I suspect that my pc is pretty good in that there is no electrical interference affecting the Zen dac in the first place (?)

Glad it works for you, at least it does for someone that is not running it off a laptop. ;)

M83

They insist to use the old burr brown chip 'cause they have a ton of stockpile and they already built the circuit design for it.

Glad it works for you, at least it does for someone that is not running it off a laptop. ;)
Yes I suspected it's due to stock and saving money not developing new circuitry.

Regarding power adapter, having had more of a listen this evening, I can notice improvement when listening with FW v5.3C. It sounds cleaner, and there appears to be more low end.... Whereas before with FW v5.2, any difference was not apparent.

I'm now sticking with v5.3C.

vins555

5.2.b cancels sleep mode. But 5,3 or 5,3c goes of after 4 seconds of not in use I can hear small pop sound. Maybe it's only on my unit.

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes I suspected it's due to stock and saving money not developing new circuitry.

Regarding power adapter, having had more of a listen this evening, I can notice improvement when listening with FW v5.3C. It sounds cleaner, and there appears to be more low end.... Whereas before with FW v5.2, any difference was not apparent.

I'm now sticking with v5.3C.
I too got a power adapter instead of using usb to barrel cord. Previously the barrel/usb cord was connected to a power strip which has usb jacks but I experience some static electricity (could be due to my power strip) when connecting to it. When using this power adapter, no static was detected but to me SQ wise usb/barrel vs power adapter for the zen dac there is no difference.

Top Bottom