• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Fair assessment mate - the iFi Zen Dac is a great starting point and still use the V1 as my desktop setup from PC. Obviously it's not ideal using the headphone output and sound effect/modes but alright for people until they buy a dedicated amp. Lacks depth and power. I've got it set as a pre-amp, connected to a Drop THX AAA 789 via 4.4mm pentaconn to XLR balanced cable, and it sounds excellent to me. Works well in Exclusive mode with Tidal and MQA (don't start about that but they do hi-res FLAC too, just nice when the led changes colours to confirm).

No doubt everything has increased in price but was hard to go past the Zen Dac when it was A$200 (~US$130) years ago. I looked up that Audient id14 mk2 device, looks like it's more for microphones but guess it's a DAC as well.
Makes no sense. The performance is horrible and was horrible back in 2019. There were devices for the same price which still had better performance all the way back in 2019.
It can't even achieve 16 bit performance on audio.

G-rig

Makes no sense. The performance is horrible and was horrible back in 2019. There were devices for the same price which still had better performance all the way back in 2019.
It can't even achieve 16 bit performance on audio.
Lol wot? You can't get cd quality from the Zen Dac? Sounds like you're doing it wrong. The ifi PC app confirms the bit rate, all the way up to 24 bit. Sounds like you haven't installed the drivers properly.

I suppose most of the chi-fi fans would probably recommend a topping this or that, they aren't cheap any more either and fairly clinical.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Lol wot? You can't get cd quality from the Zen Dac? Sounds like you're doing it wrong. The ifi PC app confirms the bit rate, all the way up to 24 bit. Sounds like you haven't installed the drivers properly.

I suppose most of the chi-fi fans would probably recommend a topping this or that, they aren't cheap any more either and fairly clinical.
What bit rate the app shows has nothing to do with the device performance. The performance you can see in Amir’s review. Not really something to write home about but probably not bad enough to really be audible. Much better (performing and price) choices existed then and now.

G-rig

What bit rate the app shows has nothing to do with the device performance. The performance you can see in Amir’s review. Not really something to write home about but probably not bad enough to really be audible. Much better (performing and price) choices existed then and now.

Oh right, well it is pretty decent for the price and haven't wanted up upgrade or anything. What would you recommend with the same features for the price?

So what is the bit rate if it's not what the device app says?

>probably not bad enough to really be audible.

Sums up most things on here, people stressing and worried about things they can't hear.

Last edited:

G-rig

Some people get sucked in the specs tech and graphs and you wonder if they even enjoy listening to music..

The headphones, music mastering and source files make the biggest difference, then it's a game of diminishing returns.

Top Bottom