• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen CAN Review (Headphone Amp)

LaL

Is the only internal difference between the Regular Zen-Can amp and the Signature version, the upgraded capacitors ?

Attachments

• ZEN-DAC-Signature_PCB-101-1.jpg
    ZEN-DAC-Signature_PCB-101-1.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ifi-audio-zen-can-signature-hfm.jpg
    ifi-audio-zen-can-signature-hfm.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Zen Can.jpg
    Zen Can.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 89

cheapmessiah

Is the only internal difference between the Regular Zen-Can amp and the Signature version, the upgraded capacitors ?

The tone shaping portion of the amp has different components too depending on the target headphone its designed for.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yup in the first place it's just the Panasonic OS-CON capacitors, I reckon..

Good day gentlemen. Can I ask what to do if I once "had a power surge (possibly) and stopped working "Ifi zen Can" the warranty seems to have ended a long time ago, after that I didn’t pay any attention to this really good device, what should I do with this “box” ... I live in Europe, where can I take for repairs, please help me figure it out finally so that my hands reach, and if not ... Does anyone need this device? I just don't know what to do with it. I will be grateful to you ...

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
Good day gentlemen. Can I ask what to do if I once "had a power surge (possibly) and stopped working "Ifi zen Can" the warranty seems to have ended a long time ago, after that I didn’t pay any attention to this really good device, what should I do with this “box” ... I live in Europe, where can I take for repairs, please help me figure it out finally so that my hands reach, and if not ... Does anyone need this device? I just don't know what to do with it. I will be grateful to you ...

First, try a different power supply, 5V > 2A.

It may work. Many USB chargers will do the job, but may need an adapter for diffeing connectors.

Thor

Во-первых, попробуйте другой источник питания, 5В > 2А.

Это может сработать. С этой задачей справятся многие зарядные устройства USB, но может потребоваться адаптер для различных разъемов.

Тор
I have an original and expensive block from Ifa, white with divisions on the power supply block, they work, charge the phone. I had a problem because of my ifi, I didn't understand why the ifi didn't turn on, I started messing with the charger and destroyed the tendrils in the contact at the back, probably. Then for a long time I heard "crack, tic... tic... something like that" and then "Bzhuhhvv" and as if everything... Worked further. I would really like to send it somewhere in Europe for repair, but I don't know where such branches are located, could you help me? I am in Slovakia.

Thorsten Loesch

I have an original and expensive block from Ifa, white with divisions on the power supply block, they work, charge the phone. I had a problem because of my ifi, I didn't understand why the ifi didn't turn on, I started messing with the charger and destroyed the tendrils in the contact at the back, probably. Then for a long time I heard "crack, tic... tic... something like that" and then "Bzhuhhvv" and as if everything... Worked further. I would really like to send it somewhere in Europe for repair, but I don't know where such branches are located, could you help me? I am in Slovakia.

Do you have a local tech? I have the original schematic and can send them on.

Thor

Thorsten Loesch

Honestly, I don't know, I don't know where they can do it here. And I do not know what you are talking about, your help will be useful, but I do not know where such devices are repaired. Here in Slovakia.. Sorry ..
Anyone who repairs a LCD TV should do.

Thorsten Loesch

Thank you, I will be forced to go and deal with this after a while (I have probably not been able to figure out what to do with this problem for 1.5 years). Thank you

As said, I can supply technical drawings (original design, not necessarily exact) but I have zero to do with iFi nowadays.

Thor

Brianc

Auditioning a used Zen Can v1 before possible purchase. Like it a lot paired with Qudelix via the rear 3.5mm input and driving Senn 6xx. Crossfeed effect is quite nice. What's a reasonable offer for it usd?

Last edited:

Thorsten Loesch

Auditioning a used Zen Can v1 before possible purchase. Like it a lot paired with Qudelix via the rear 3.5mm input and driving Senn 6xx. Crossfeed effect is quite nice. What's a reasonable offer for it usd?

50% discount on original retail? Original retail was 169 USD IIRC, though the Zen Can was designed for a 99 USD price point.

So 85-90 Bucks?

Thor

pioterd

Many USB chargers will do the job
Good day. I use ZenDac V1 (newer revision serial number 53040...) with zen can. I have a problem with external powering of ZenDac. When using just USB power - no problems. When I input external power together with USB cable, diode sometimes changes color, sometimes it misses connection with computer, sometimes when I just touch USB cable the led dims or lights up again, eventually it starts to work again sometimes... I tried with 2 different USB cables and with 3 different PSU (5V/1A, 5V/2.4A, 5V/4A) - everytime the same story - when connected just to USB, DAC works ok, but when I input external power - DAC starts to go crazy. Grounding problems?

Exactly such like that issue (only if the external power is plugged in):

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Maybe @pma (in Česko) can help you ?
When you don't mind shipping to the Netherlands (back and forth) I could probably fix it for you as well.
Insured shipping to Slovakia is not really cheap though.

pioterd

Grounding problems?
Ok I found the reason. I think. USB socket of the Dac needs to touch the rear aluminum panel. If not - there is some additional noise when powered only by usb and there are even more problems when connected to external power additionally. After some time of using the Dac there may occur very slight gap between top of the socket and rear panel.

Thorsten Loesch

Ok I found the reason. I think. USB socket of the Dac needs to touch the rear aluminum panel. If not - there is some additional noise when powered only by usb and there are even more problems when connected to external power additionally. After some time of using the Dac there may occur very slight gap between top of the socket and rear panel.

Seems manufacturing issue. The RCA socket screw should make the connection between signal ground and case via an RC circuit, with everything else isolated.

To rely on the USB socket seems very dodgy, typical Chinese way to save a few cent RMB.

If using SMPS with 2-Pin power input, it may help to add a "soft earth" to the output side, as well as a EMI filter with earth and Y-Capacitors in the mains feed.

Thor

Last edited:
Top Bottom