• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi Zen Can....has this unit been measured here yet?

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Not the Zen Dac minus the DAC- this has 1.6w @32ohm not 300 ish @32ohm so definitely not the same amp. But its getting hype because cheap and powerful and balanced- but I doubt measures well.
Precisely, why I have been comparing with my ears as well utilizing the Science. It is such a subjective game, as much if not more than genre preferences, which Ironically plays a significant part as well. On another thread I described issues I have had with Ifi in general.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/headphone-amp-dac-dilemma.17709/post-579118
Essentially I would like a SE amp that measures well, has lots of power, under $300, and serve as a preamp... that = Asgard 3.
Or
One that will be end game so to speak which would be 789, 887, or A90........but pricing rises and that directed me to the SP 200. Which is basically a powerful SE amp with XLR for variety I guess. Just not sure how much it really measures since it was tested with @ 5 volts rms by Amir. Wouldn't that effect output?
Probably done with ifi Zen Can as they have proven unreliable with Customer Support and Still have the Topping L30 paired with the E30....which I like but always searching for better. Oh and by the way this a hobby for me recently renewed because of the outstanding sounds I am getting from my new Sundara's which at first could not be driven by my measly Soundblaster Z card. But I did have an old AirHead amp that did breathe some life into them, just not enough...so began this search.

I Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

Precisely, why I have been comparing with my ears as well utilizing the Science. It is such a subjective game, as much if not more than genre preferences, which Ironically plays a significant part as well. On another thread I described issues I have had with Ifi in general.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/headphone-amp-dac-dilemma.17709/post-579118
Essentially I would like a SE amp that measures well, has lots of power, under $300, and serve as a preamp... that = Asgard 3.
Or
One that will be end game so to speak which would be 789, 887, or A90........but pricing rises and that directed me to the SP 200. Which is basically a powerful SE amp with XLR for variety I guess. Just not sure how much it really measures since it was tested with @ 5 volts rms by Amir. Wouldn't that effect output?
Probably done with ifi Zen Can as they have proven unreliable with Customer Support and Still have the Topping L30 paired with the E30....which I like but always searching for better. Oh and by the way this a hobby for me recently renewed because of the outstanding sounds I am getting from my new Sundara's which at first could not be driven by my measly Soundblaster Z card. But I did have an old AirHead amp that did breathe some life into them, just not enough...so began this search.

I Thank you all of your help.
Thx 789 on drop for black Friday $250

raif71

Major Contributor
Just wondering....I think that this amp is unbelievable...and is only $169. I compared it to a Topping L30 and that seemed like a toy in comparison. It actually runs even with my Monolith 788 that is now going back as well as that Topping. The Topping is very good on it's own but for close to the same price not even. The only problem with the Zen Can is it's unstackability. Just wish they put a Dac in it and made it a pre-amp.

This link says the Zen Can can act as a pre-amp https://www.whathifi.com/news/ifi-e...-zen-can-an-affordable-analogue-headphone-amp
1606259691452.png

1606259727425.png

Look at No. 13 above, you would need a 4.4mm pentaconn out to double rca or double xlr to connect to active speakers

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Last edited:
OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Thx 789 on drop for black Friday $250
I do like that unit. I just would like to know what the power specs are for SE. I see that it was measured here at 1.3 watts (less than Zen Can, Heresy, and Asgard) and driven by 5 volts. What is it like being driven by 2 volts like my E30. I am looking at it as SE primary and XLR maybe, perhaps....someday.

wasnotwasnotwas

I do like that unit. I just would like to know what the power specs are for SE. I see that it was measured here at 1.3 watts (less than Zen Can, Heresy, and Asgard) and driven by 5 volts. What is it like being driven by 2 volts like my E30. I am looking at it as SE primary and XLR maybe, perhaps....someday.

As said before on your other thread , why the fixation on power specs and what do you plan to do with all the spare power?

Edit SE specs are all here. But I'm not sure what you'll take from them. It's very powerful and very clean. https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier/details#details

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes, but what good is it if you have no control over the output. You can control the volume, but it is on all the time. Receiving end must also be balanced.
ic...you mean, one has to switch off the active speakers if you don't want to hear them if the Zen Can is connected to the speakers, right?

raif71

Major Contributor
OP
T

TechEnthusiast

As said before on your other thread , why the fixation on power specs and what do you plan to do with all the spare power?

Edit SE specs are all here. But I'm not sure what you'll take from them. It's very powerful and very clean. https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier/details#details
Honestly I do not know. I just do know that I want an amp that will drive what I have now and what I will get in the future.......just do not want to limit my choices down the road. To make matters worse they have to throw in balanced...which in my opinion....does nothing more than boost your power. So my thinking is get the most powerful SE amp that will serve me well. Please help if my thinking is misguided. I come from the school of build your system around a good amp.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You've created so many threads on this dilemma of yours. Just buy the 789 at the Black Friday sale price of $250 and be done with it! It has more power than you'll likely ever need for a pair of headphones with the option of going balanced down the road for even more. It's an easy decision.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

You've created so many threads on this dilemma of yours. Just buy the 789 at the Black Friday sale price of $250 and be done with it! It has more power than you'll likely ever need for a pair of headphones with the option of going balanced down the road for even more. It's an easy decision.
I know I have gone a little overboard on this dilemma...but I wanted to learn as much as I could as quickly as I could to hopefully get a deal for Black Friday. Now, like you mentioned, I see that has happened with the 789 and also with the A90 for $426. Would you know how the 789 functions as a preamp? I see that it has a pass through but I do not see a switch for it. Does it pass the signal through all the time or is it controlled by plugging in the headphones?

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know I have gone a little overboard on this dilemma...but I wanted to learn as much as I could as quickly as I could to hopefully get a deal for Black Friday. Now, like you mentioned, I see that has happened with the 789 and also with the A90 for $426. Would you know how the 789 functions as a preamp? I see that it has a pass through but I do not see a switch for it. Does it pass the signal through all the time or is it controlled by plugging in the headphones?
I don't think it has a dedicated preamp function.

raif71

Major Contributor
If you are in US and can get return privileges, you can drop ship one to me for testing.
@amirm is feeling the Zen...hopefully somebody will send you one, I'm sorry as I'm very far away from you, here in Malaysia :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom