• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IFi pro ican or thx 789

BigBeard

Any experience or measurement of the pro ican? I know the two amps are in price categories, but the thx 789 is currently unavailable.

What i look for in an amp is complete transparency. But, the bass boost feature of the ifi may be useful with my fostex headphones, while using my seinheisser for critical listenting.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I love to measure the ifi pro ican but until then, I can't imagine anyone needing more than what THX 789 provides. It is essentially distortionless and with tons of power. Spending another $1,400 for the ifi doesn't make sense to me. Why not try a bass boost in software/player?

bluesaint

If you want complete transparency and using it for critical listening, iCan Pro isn't for you. I have 2 different iCan Pro setups. One with the complete iDSD PRO+iCAN PRO +iESL PRO stack using Hifiman Jade II eStat and another with SMSL SU-8 V2 + iCan PRO using HFM HE1000 V2.

I love the amp in it's tube and tube + modes, but for master of resolution and clarity, you have to be in Solid State mode, and honestly, the iCan's SS mode is not a strength of the unit. So I concur that THX 789/788 would be the way to go for your need.

OP
B

BigBeard

Thanks for the input; it is very helpful knowing you actually have the amp. I guess I will wait for the 789 to come back into stock, as resolution/clarity is my ultimate goal.

tired_guru

If you want complete transparency and using it for critical listening, iCan Pro isn't for you. I have 2 different iCan Pro setups. One with the complete iDSD PRO+iCAN PRO +iESL PRO stack using Hifiman Jade II eStat and another with SMSL SU-8 V2 + iCan PRO using HFM HE1000 V2.

I love the amp in it's tube and tube + modes, but for master of resolution and clarity, you have to be in Solid State mode, and honestly, the iCan's SS mode is not a strength of the unit. So I concur that THX 789/788 would be the way to go for your need.
I heard this amp with whole focal's line of headphones (liked clear the best, even better than utopia). There was NAIM CD as a source. In all 3 modes - pure tube, hybrid and solid state. This is musical madness and magic. The price is a bit crazy - but this is sound signature that I love, a lot of power, a lot of possibilities and connectors. Any measurements can't change that (bad or great). Exactly like questyle cma400i which sounds like nothing else I have ever heard (maybe because their own IIR no pre-ringing filter, maybe beacuse great voltage swing on the dac's side or maybe because this specific, current mode amp). This is for listening music for real & being part of performance on stage. I like and appreciate great, audibly transparent, stuff but if you love pure music, once listened to these you can forget about all. Just like with pass hpa-1 headamp, also a bit with pathos aurium IMHO.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to see the iCan Pro measured by Amir, but not sure I could live without it for the time it was away.
Even if the measurements were terrible, I don't think I would care, I love mine, it is a beast of an amp.

w1000i

Forum Donor
I heard the iCan pro and I like my old chord mojo better driving my Mr.speaker Aeon C and I tired bass boost and I didn't like it at all.

I believed you should get a good measure one based on amirm test. And I'd would recommend first JDS Labs Atom super cheap and powerful to drive fostex. I tried th900km2 for a week and my mojo drive it with ease.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I heard the iCan pro and I like my old chord mojo better driving my Mr.speaker Aeon C and I tired bass boost and I didn't like it at all.

I believed you should get a good measure one based on amirm test. And I'd would recommend first JDS Labs Atom super cheap and powerful to drive fostex. I tried th900km2 for a week and my mojo drive it with ease.
I have the Atom, it is a great amp, but still like my iCan Pro more, to each their own, I guess.

FourT6and2

Does the Pro iCAN have a sound signature of its own? I'm also trying to decide on an amp and I just can't narrow it down. Too many choices. Also I don't know what the output impedance of this thing is since Cayin doesn't list it. Trying to decide between this, the 789 (and the ones on the market), Violectric V280, and the Cayin iHA-6.

Top Bottom