• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi ipower X

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This kind of reaction means;

1) Your set up is so crap you indeed hear no difference.

2) Never tried it.

I replaced the power supply of my switch and in 10 blind tests I could tell which time the power supply was changed. Why, because of the sound improvement. So I see this funny answers a lot and its ok. Keep all your standard cables, power supplies etc. But know that you set up never will use the full performance capacity.

All that's great, but did you try it on a tea kettle? I don't need a blind test to taste the difference!

rudy

I've just discovered that the iFi iPower that comes with their new Zen-Can amp for ($20)extra actually makes the amp sound worse compared to an old 5v adapter I use for another device . I had plugged it into the Zen-Can amp by mistake and couldn't understand why I was really enjoying music more than usual for about 2 weeks. Now when I switch back and fort between the two 5v adapters I can pinpoint the difference. The iFi iPower supply makes the music sound more compressed, basically clarity and detail are worse. The end result is you feel like you're not enjoying music as much.

The Zen-Amp itself really does sound excellent, it's really very engaging with music.

I believe they had issues with the iPower adapters in the past but how can they be still be upselling an add-on "Clean" power supply that reduces the performance of their really good amp. As @amirm has said in the past relating to snake-oil, it's one thing to sell a product that does absolutely nothing to improve audio quality - but they are selling something that makes their audio equipment sound worse!

iFi are now selling the newer $100 iPowerX - I hope they're not unloading their older (defective) $50 iPower to new purchasers of the Zen-Can amp which for many will be their first Class-A amp and will be just happy with all the extra power and will not notice that the amp can sound a lot better with a properly functioning $8 power supply.

@GMG by the way it doesn't appear to affect my DAC, or at least it's not audible but it definitely affects the sound detail of the Class-A amp.

(Linksys 5v,2A) (iPower 5v,2.5A)
i recently purchased an IFI i-power 12v and an addition to the IFI Zen Stream. when using the i-power with the Zen i experienced voltage fluctuations that where causing connection and power shut down issues with the Zen. i am now testing the regular power adaptor that came in the box with the Zen and so far no shut down or connection loss issues. could be a regulation issue? i will be returning the i-power.

AudioArchitech

i recently purchased an IFI i-power 12v and an addition to the IFI Zen Stream. when using the i-power with the Zen i experienced voltage fluctuations that where causing connection and power shut down issues with the Zen. i am now testing the regular power adaptor that came in the box with the Zen and so far no shut down or connection loss issues. could be a regulation issue? i will be returning the i-power.
What was the issue, was it a defective iPower ? The cable on it damaged..?

rudy

wow, i had the same problem with my iPower that i purchased seperately with the Zen Stream. i than switched to the power adaptor that came with the unit and it worked better. i sent it back to the dealer for him to test, he said it was ok, i asked him if i could upgrade to the newer MK2 or even the X. he would not do it. this guy is in Singapore, watch out.

Barry_Sound

I spent this morning switching between the stock power supply and the Ifi on my V90 DAC. I can conclude that the Ifi in fact affects sound for the worse. I picked the stock power supply in a blind test as superior. I also bothered my wife and my nine year old who has no interest at all in hifi. His words: "Difference is day and night. Dont you hear it?" :D

staticV3

Master Contributor
I spent this morning switching between the stock power supply and the Ifi on my V90 DAC. I can conclude that the Ifi in fact affects sound for the worse. I picked the stock power supply in a blind test as superior. I also bothered my wife and my nine year old who has no interest at all in hifi. His words: "Difference is day and night. Dont you hear it?" :D
I'm sorry, but when it comes to audibility of power supplies, cables, DACs etc, words alone don't really carry any value 'round here.
If you describe your blind listening test setup in detail and give us your confidence score, then we're talking!

Barry_Sound

I'm sorry, but when it comes to audibility of power supplies, cables, DACs etc, words alone don't really carry any value 'round here.
If you describe your blind listening test setup in detail and give us your confidence score, then we're talking!
Anecdotal evidence. Three people picked the Ifi as worse, two of them have no interest in the hobby. I do second what user LaL experienced above ("The iFi iPower supply makes the music sound more compressed, basically clarity and detail are worse."). My test setup was a very simple A/B testing with only the power plugs being switched. Both power supplies on the same power bar, same source (iMac with Tidal Master), same amp, same speakers. Not even level matching required.

If someone has a potential technical explanation, I´m "all ears".

Last edited:

RichieB

I bought one, (ifi ipower X, 5V) for use with my ifi Zen blue 2. The delivery took a bit longer than expected and after reading reviews I was starting to regret the purchase, but when it arrived strangely enough instantly I noticed better sound. Streaming music seem smoother sounding clearer and easier to listen to. My wife also noticed this.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@RichieB what controls were in place while comparing power supplies?
Let me guess: none.

RichieB

@RichieB what controls were in place while comparing power supplies?
Let me guess: none.
I had been listening to the unit a lot using the stock power supply. The ipower X arrived and I left the stock power supply in place but unplugged to do a comparison test, but when I tried the ipower x the improvement it was instantly noticeable even by my wife if so I never bothered any further comparison.
Does this make me some kind of heretic?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had been listening to the unit a lot using the stock power supply. The ipower X arrived and I left the stock power supply in place but unplugged to do a comparison test, but when I tried the ipower x the improvement it was instantly noticeable even by my wife if so I never bothered any further comparison.
Not a heretic, just a mistake in the test parameters. :D When you changed over to the new power supply it had more voltage right? If not adjusting the speaker/headphone voltage and calibrating that to a known number that was used for both tests then... then the higher voltage power supply will cause a increase in the SPL of the amplifier and it will sound better because it is louder.

RichieB

True I had done no such adjustment for changes in volume due to the different power supplies apart from adjusting it to what I usually listen to with my ears.

RichieB

Not a heretic, just a mistake in the test parameters. :D When you changed over to the new power supply it had more voltage right? If not adjusting the speaker/headphone voltage and calibrating that to a known number that was used for both tests then... then the higher voltage power supply will cause a increase in the SPL of the amplifier and it will sound better because it is louder
I didn't notice it sounded louder though but, did notice clarity, greater resonance when reproducing acoustic instruments for instance. I normally listen to to music pretty loud anyway.

staticV3

Master Contributor
No. It does make you naively confident in your senses though, which during these comparisons can and will tell you all sorts of untrue things unless kept in check via the methods detailed in this video.

It's also the main method through which many conmen get obscenely rich selling grounding boxes, reference clocks, noise filters, and similar snake oil to audio enthusiasts, which is why we're so adamant on these controls.

Last edited:

RichieB

No. It does make you naively confident in your senses though, which during these comparisons can and will tell you all sorts of untrue things unless kept in check via the methods detailed in this video.

It's also the main method through which many conmen get obscenely rich selling wooden grounding boxes with dirt in them and similar snake oil to audio enthusiasts, which is why we're so adamant on these controls.
Hi I had read this thread and was regretting the purchase before delivery. So I didn't expect much as my ears were at that point of making the comparison not the only sensory input. I only got the thing on Friday evening. Today I put on some music forgetting I even had the new PSU and the music sounded more pleasant to hear. I have been surprised each time by this. Remember though I am only using it on the Zen Blue 2 which is pretty much a budget piece of equipment though, I find it very good. I bet people using it on more expensive Dacs could find they had adequate power supplies in the first place has mentioned in this thread or somewhere else I have read I think. Finally of course we all hear differently and even have tastes and personal preferences.

Hoinar

I changed the source with, which came the ifi zen streamer with an iFi Audio iPower X 9V. Big differences... The stock source type, has no "power", while the ipower x is something else. Greater clarity, very good scene and a melodious voice that doesn't scream, . Those who don't hear or don't want to hear the difference.....have other problems. I'm attaching the picture with the new source.

Attachments

• poza sursa.png
    poza sursa.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 92

Veri

Master Contributor
I changed the source with, which came the ifi zen streamer with an iFi Audio iPower X 9V. Big differences... The stock source type, has no "power", while the ipower x is something else. Greater clarity, very good scene and a melodious voice that doesn't scream, .
Hate when my DAC is screaming at me.

RichieB

Hi I was using the 5v version ipower X with the Zen Blue 2 and also noticed an improvement.

doitttt

take alm power supply, and reasonably large ferrite cores, take a wire winding 2-3 turns, in the ferrite core on cable, so effective lc filter, gives somewhat more clean power
works for me

RichieB

take alm power supply, and reasonably large ferrite cores, take a wire winding 2-3 turns, in the ferrite core on cable, so effective lc filter, gives somewhat more clean power
works for me
I'll try it next time I have something that warrants it.

Top Bottom