• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi hip dac 2 (DAC & Headphone Amp) iPhone connectivity issues

Kiwi

Picked up an ifi Hip Dac 2 recently, with the intention of using it in combination with my iPhone 8 for Apple Music. Acquired the recommended Apple Original camera adapter (lightening to USB A) to feed that sweet digital audio into my hip dac 2. I’m experiencing an issue of my iPhone not recognising the hip dac 2 at all, audio remains active out of the phone speakers, accessory support messages or anything to indicate the presence of the connected hip dac 2 does not appear. The hip dac 2 has been performing adequately while connected to my windows pc and MacBook.

Can anyone advise why the iPhone would not be recognising the hip dac 2? iPhone operating on iOS 15.3.

Many thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Picked up an ifi Hip Dac 2 recently, with the intention of using it in combination with my iPhone 8 for Apple Music. Acquired the recommended Apple Original camera adapter (lightening to USB A) to feed that sweet digital audio into my hip dac 2. I’m experiencing an issue of my iPhone not recognising the hip dac 2 at all, audio remains active out of the phone speakers, accessory support messages or anything to indicate the presence of the connected hip dac 2 does not appear. The hip dac 2 has been performing adequately while connected to my windows pc and MacBook.

Can anyone advise why the iPhone would not be recognising the hip dac 2? iPhone operating on iOS 15.3.

Many thanks.
How are you connecting the hip dac 2 to the camera connection kit (CCK)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hmm well iPhones are very uncooperative when trying to use external DACs and the hip dac's oddball Type-A male connector doesn't help either.

I'd recommend you give this adapter plus the included Type-C m to Type-A f cable a try: https://www.amazon.com/Meenova-Adap...dp/B09KLXP524?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace
hip-dac2-WITB-1.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
On the other hand, iPhone->USB CCK->hip-dac2 worked just fine for this guy:

OP
K

Kiwi

OP
K

Kiwi

On the other hand, iPhone->USB CCK->hip-dac2 worked just fine for this guy:
Watched the video and it seems to work like magic… would’ve been helpful to see a working result in the video - I’ll try your method of using the proprietary cable with lightening adapter for the usb c connection.

Again, many thanks for your prompt support.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Watched the video and it seems to work like magic… would’ve been helpful to see a working result in the video - I’ll try your method of using the proprietary cable with lightening adapter for the usb c connection.

Again, many thanks for your prompt support.
It might just be that your iPhone 8 doesn't like the USB2 CCK. Unfortunately Apple's "MFi" program is that inconsistent.

OP
K

Kiwi

It might just be that your iPhone 8 doesn't like the USB2 CCK. Unfortunately Apple's "MFi" program is that inconsistent.
I have tried connecting to another iPhone 8 and an iPhone XR running the same iOS (15.3) and the issue still persists… I did have luck however, using iPad Pro 5th Gen. This device used the usb c dongle instead.

OP
K

Kiwi

Hmm well iPhones are very uncooperative when trying to use external DACs and the hip dac's oddball Type-A male connector doesn't help either.

I'd recommend you give this adapter plus the included Type-C m to Type-A f cable a try: https://www.amazon.com/Meenova-Adap...dp/B09KLXP524?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace
View attachment 185623
Update:
The Meenova Lightening to USB C OTG adapter that you kindly linked has finally arrived! I have paired it with the USB C to USB A female cable that iFi included with the Hip Dac 2 and it works like a charm! No connectivity issues to my iPhone any longer, I’m enjoying great lossy from Apple Music and my Hip Dac 2.

Many thanks staticV3!!

Kiwi

gal101168

Just saw your post and I also have the hip dac 2. I didn't have any issues with the camera adapter and my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I do however have a non working 4.4mm balanced output the sounds like it stutters or has static. Very disappointed. I bought this at the end of Dec 2021 and not even a full 4 months later I have an issue.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 things.

1) make sure you've authorized your phone to see the DAC
2) make sure you're using a power source of 9+ watts.

Top Bottom