• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IFI Audio ZEN Blue v2

burak82

hi, anyone using this streamer? havent found any measurements on this forum from IFI, any thoughts on quality?

Lowfold

Hi @burak82 ,

I have recently purchased and started using this streamer. Overall I have been very impressed with the quality. However their is a big difference in the sound quality of the different Bluetooth codecs.

LHDC on my Android phone provides CD quality sound when I stream from Amazon Ultra HD.

I have used the analogue out with a decent amp and speakers and it sounded great.

When using digital I tried it with my old (20+ years) Merdian DSP5000 speakers. Initially I did not get any sound out of the system. However when I lowered my phone codec to aptx Adaptive, then it started to work. The Meridian DSP are 18 bit DACs and I am assuming they do not have the capability to cope with the output from the high res LHDC codec from the ifi Blue v2. It still sounds good, just not as great as it could.

(ifi - is their a way I can continue to use LHDC with the Meridian DSP5000s ?)

iFi audio

Audio Company
Hi Lowfold,
This sounds like the speakers are not capable of playing what you want to play. I would recommend reaching out to Meridian to find the answer.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Burak -- I got the Ifi Zen Blue V2 for limited use in my garage and really like it. Small size is ideal in a crowded space. Appreciate the aluminum casing instead of plastic. Sounds good with little active bookshelf speakers, good enough for this limited use at least. Haven't bothered to test It with a higher end system, so grain of salt there. It was extremely easy to pair (with Samsung S7 as well as Kindle Fire)... probably easiest Bluetooth pairing I've ever done. For its low cost, robust feature set, and ease of use it was one of my better buys; absolutely no buyer's remorse in this case.

Top Bottom