• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you had to pick a speaker...

Beanman

Between the Wharfedale 220, Kef ls50 meta and Elac DBR-62, which would you pick and why? Are the Elacs and Kef's prices worth the difference. I found a pair of Wharedales for around $250.
Thanks in advance.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would start with the Wharfdale's. More money does indeed get you better stuff, but I think starting low-cost helps a lot because you have more in your budget for crafting your optimal setup as you try to figure it out. The JBL Studio 530 occasionally goes for $250 direct from Harman when they have their sales and that's a great option too with higher preference scores, uglier cabinets, and a distinct sound you get from a compression driver/vertical horn.

What is your other equipment and room environment?

3125b

Major Contributor
The Wharfdale 220 are the worst performers in your lineup, not terrible, but need EQ and don't expect much LF output. They are much cheaper but if you can spend more that's probably a good idea.
Between the KEF and the Elac both have their pros and cons, the Elac can play louder and lower without a sub and the KEF are advantageous at very short listening distances.
Where do you live? Prices vary wildly and speakers that are a good choice in one country might just not be worth it in another country.

OP
B

Beanman

I am using two xls 1002 amps and a minidsp shd as a preamp. It is in a carpeted basement with higher that average ceilings and an open room on the right side. I am using two revel f226 be right now that I love. Just looking for a bookshelf to play with.

OP
B

Beanman

The Wharfdale 220 are the worst performers in your lineup. They are much cheaper but if you can spend more that's probably a good idea.
Between the KEF and the Elac both have their pros and cons, the Elac can play louder and lower without a sub and the KEF are advantageous at very short listening distances.
Where do you live? Prices vary wildly and speakers that are a good choice in one country might just not be worth it in another count

3125b

Major Contributor
Well, none of them compare favourably with those Revels :)

If you are just looking for something to play around with go with whatever you can get the best deal on, either new or maybe used. That way selling them will hurt much less. Doesn't really have to be between those specific pairs, I don't think any of them are priced perticularly well in the US. Look for some JBLs on sale maybe, I'm not too familiar with the US market.

FlyingFreak

If price isnt a concern, I would go for the Kef. Mostly because of the look of them compare to the ELAC.
I imagine you could negotiate a pair of Kef R3 for the price of the LS50 meta, in which case I would take that if space allows.

... Depends what is meant by 'playing with' though...

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using two xls 1002 amps and a minidsp shd as a preamp. It is in a carpeted basement with higher that average ceilings and an open room on the right side. I am using two revel f226 be right now that I love. Just looking for a bookshelf to play with.

Oh, in that case, get the Studio 530's or KEF's for sure. The F226Be gives you classic Harman-science sound. The Studio 530 lets you try out compression drivers on a budget. Take a look at MKR's comments on the Studio 590. The alternative is the KEF which gives you a chance to hear what a concentric driver will do.

The Wharfdale's/Elac's are trying to get close to the Revel sound without having the budget to achieve the Revel sound, so it's "more of the same, but at a worse performer".

I would actually suggest trying Magnepan as well. TMRAudio is one of the few online retailers with an in-home trial process. I assume you have to pay shipping both ways. That will also give you a different experience from the Revels.

OP
B

Beanman

I have two REL subs and the SHD has dirac live. How much difference would there be in properly set up and eq'ed original LS50's?

ferrellms

Between the Wharfedale 220, Kef ls50 meta and Elac DBR-62, which would you pick and why? Are the Elacs and Kef's prices worth the difference. I found a pair of Wharedales for around $250.
Thanks in advance.
Buy the ones that have the best speaker preference rating via spinorama that you are willing to spend the money on. This is all anyone needs to know about the actual sound itself. Cosmetics, price, size, convenience are purely a matter of personal choice, can't help with that.

OP
B

Beanman

After reading the review, I am thinking of picking up jbl A130's to mess around with. I found a pair for $120.00. Opinions from anyone who has heard these?

TimW

Major Contributor
After reading the review, I am thinking of picking up jbl A130's to mess around with. I found a pair for $120.00. Opinions from anyone who has heard these?
I got them for $180 and consider them excellent value at that price. Quite neutral sound with solid bass output for the size. The mids are slightly forward which I can appreciate and the highs can sizzle but I never found them fatiguing. I gave them to a friend since we listen to music and watch movies at his place often. He cranks the volume way over where I usually listen and the A130's never sound strained.

OP
B

Beanman

I got them for $180 and consider them excellent value at that price. Quite neutral sound with solid bass output for the size. The mids are slightly forward which I can appreciate and the highs can sizzle but I never found them fatiguing. I gave them to a friend since we listen to music and watch movies at his place often. He cranks the volume way over where I usually listen and the A130's never sound strained.
I dont run a center speaker. Do the perform well enough for a phantom speaker?

TimW

Major Contributor
I dont run a center speaker. Do the perform well enough for a phantom speaker?
Well that's how we run the system at my buddy's place but his setup is non-ideal and there wouldn't be much distance between each LCR speaker. Personally I'm probably not a great person to ask since I have never liked the surround sound setups I've tried and always just run stereo.

Why are you worried about a center channel if you're just getting these speakers to play around with anyway?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can also pick up some Kali speakers inexpensively (between $400 and $800 a pair). And they are powered so you just need an input. They are rated well, including the LP6 v2, the IN-5 and the IN-8v2. The latter two have concentric tweeter/midranges.

OP
B

Beanman

Well that's how we run the system at my buddy's place but his setup is non-ideal and there wouldn't be much distance between each LCR speaker. Personally I'm probably not a great person to ask since I have never liked the surround sound setups I've tried and always just run stereo.

Why are you worried about a center channel if you're just getting these speakers to play around with anyway?
I watch a lot of movies as well and was just wondering about their imaging

TimW

Major Contributor
I watch a lot of movies as well and was just wondering about their imaging
Okay. Their imaging is decent but not as good as a few other speakers I have heard which coincidentally have had direct radiating tweeters without waveguides.

Top Bottom