• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you had to choose in each price range...

BobZmuda

I have a small untreated (does carpeting count?) bedroom where I keep speakers. Thus mid-field is as far as it gets. They could be on my desk (which is touching a wall and under a covered window) or on stands. Not interested in deep sub-bass as I primarily listen to music from the 60s/70s where it wouldn't matter much anyhow. I also don't want to spend the extra $. More important to me is clarity and soundstage. I like flat response.

Here's a few I'm interested in after reading about:

Kali IN-8 V2
Kali IN-5
Revel M16

Above my price range: Are they worth saving up for?
Genelec 8030c
Genelec 8351B

Last edited:

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I'm confused are you putting the Salon 2 on a desk? :D Zeos loved the IN-5 and on paper they seem to be solid, yet only got the same or worse score than the LP-6 around these parts. I'm looking at getting a pair of the LP-6 soon.

jae

Major Contributor

AudiOhm

Troll?

Ohms

OP
B

BobZmuda

So your budget seems to be $25k/pair.
I’m confused to why are you then considering speakers for a few hundred $?

No, I said those were above my price range in the OP. I just said I could save up for them if worth it in the long run.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@BobZmuda imo it makes only sense to choose in your price range. The reason being that I would choose different devices at a lower budget to get more from the system than at a higher price range, where there is money to include for example dsp in the speakers. This mainly is about adding eq and sub capabilities.

The second thing that matters is the place where you put your speakers. If it's a desk a bookshelf or active bookshelf makes more sense. If it's free standing and especially a big room then a floorstander or a very powerful bookshelf speaker makes more sense.

And imo and ime it's better to enjoy what you have now and enjoy the journey, than wait for the ultimate solution according to others' opinion.

OP
B

BobZmuda

I'm confused are you putting the Salon 2 on a desk? :D Zeos loved the IN-5 and on paper they seem to be solid, yet only got the same or worse score than the LP-6 around these parts. I'm looking at getting a pair of the LP-6 soon.

I put the wrong one in the OP. I meant m16. Fixed it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I suppose the only difference between the LP series and the IN is that the latter is "3-way". Do you find that to be superior? Is it worth the big price hike?
They slipped a bit with LP-6 V2 and it's so far their best scoring creation they had. It can't pump lot of bass at high SPL of course but for near field they are quite good and still the best for the price. IN 8 V2's had a problem with decoupling midrange driver from woffer (oscillations influencing midrange one) on higher SPL levels to my better knowledge. I hope they will resolve that in next revision without much of a price hike.

luft262

You didn't list a price range. Also, that's a mix of active and passive speakers. If it were me I'd just get the Revels.

luft262

Revel M16 is passive

Top Bottom