• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If @MattHooper [Mott the Hoople?] knew as much about bridges as he does about tubes, I'd buy from him.
Even though I may have issues if that bridge was made in Russia!:)
https://beyondtheflow.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/que2.jpg

6FQ7/ 6CG7 is a medium mu doutriode. It's a small signal tube, not a rectifier type.

Thanks for the correction (which is why I asked). I'd always just referred to them as "the small tubes" and when I looked them up the term "rectifier" seemed associated.

I'm an ignoramus on such things.

egellings

Major Contributor
https://beyondtheflow.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/que2.jpg

Thanks for the correction (which is why I asked). I'd always just referred to them as "the small tubes" and when I looked them up the term "rectifier" seemed associated.

I'm an ignoramus on such things.
You're not an ignoramus on the type of tube the 6FQ7 is anymore. Learning gets rid of ignoraminosity. I coined that last word, wordsmith that I am.

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe there's also another way to look at it. I am a little bit curious if it will be a market success nowadays. Ultimately, however, it is meaningless to me, I am well stocked with tubes.
I use tubes too, but not the 300B. Too rich for my blood.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"There’s no word on the specific types of tubes that Western Electric will be making, or the price points, but the spokesperson implies we won’t have long to wait. “We are in the throes of tooling up for various tubes,” they confirm. “Starting with the most urgently-needed, popular types.”
I don't see much current news at Western Electric’s site.
I think he is very late to the market with this expensive new 300B edition.
During March of 2022, WE/RosswillWorks made the announcement of the 12AX7 tubes (and at reasonable prices)... but, has yet to happen.

Top Bottom