• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If this was your home office what would you do?

OP
M

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have similar constraints and am using a pair of old Beolab 6000 either side of the TV. Sound ok, look great and fit well in the space.
Ooh, now that would be cool. They might be a bit wide? How wide are yours?

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Not that I've settled on the Sonos Beam as it's a bit deeper than I want, but wow their Augmented Reality tool for seeing how it would look in your space is fantastic!

IMG_0027.PNG

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Quick update on this quest:
  1. The Kef T101 is the perfect form factor and a terrible loudspeaker that no amount of EQ can fix
  2. The Beolab 6000 (6002 for the updated version) was an intriguing suggestion, but the aesthetic appeal is lost if I stuff it in those spaces between the fireplace and the bookcases. Very attracted to it as an addition to my collection of interesting loudspeakers though.
  3. The Ikea Symfonisk is a terrific speaker but is enormous (40cm by 60cm), and is wifi only
  4. The Sonos Beam is neat but 10cm deep so not ideal. Currently my best choice if I can get over the 10cm depth
  5. Artcoustic have the SL Target Mini which is 150x150x63mm. No decent info available about it though.
Unless you all can come up with some magic, I might have to do something tedious like put mini monitors on the bookshelves, and that would pain me.

Hipper

I tried the Sonos Beam but it wouldn't work. I think the problem was it required an internet connection. I suggest you check that.

In the end I got a Canton DM60:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GVRM1TJ/

I don't think this is practical for you though unless you put it on a table in front of your chimney.

I would have thought you could get some 'swinging' book shelf wall mounts and attach them on the walls between your bookcases and chimney. You'd have to move the bookshelves to install them which is obviously a pain but it might be the neatest and most flexible solution.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
@Hipper your comment about swinging speakers makes me wonder about the baby Magneplanars. Is it MMGW?

Hipper

@Hipper your comment about swinging speakers makes me wonder about the baby Magneplanars. Is it MMGW?

An idea! They look very practical, except of course requiring a sub. Magnepan make a bass panel.

I don't know anything about using them but have always been intrigued by panel speakers. People say though that it is a bit different from box speakers so I'd give them a good listen first.

There are other makes of flat panel speakers - TEAC, Martin Logan, Quad.......

This is an article about the different types of speakers. Electrostats are 'dipolar':

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

Go down to post 2 and there is a link to a list of speaker makers.

Top Bottom