• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If this was your home office what would you do?

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently reorganised my home office and now have a nice 50" TV. It's a bit high up, and only 2.5m from the sofa. The sound is of course awful so I want to improve that situation. Problem is I don't want anything that sticks out from the wall so am looking for either a soundbar or flat speakers. The angle from the middle of the TV to the seating position is about 20 degrees so most regular two-way speakers won't work.

Listening levels are mostly very low, say 60dBSPL average at the listening position. I'm happy to use DSP but prpobably don't want to use a sub right now.

I looked at the KEF T-series but despite being thin they are really just normal two-ways with the vertical dispersion problems that come with that at my listening angle. In-wall isn't an option, but something slim could fit into the ~12cm gaps between the fireplace and the bookcases? I'd even consider a Sonos Beam or similar, but do't let anyone at ASR know that!

All ideas welcome! If this was your study what would you do?

Picture from the main listening/watching position:
IMG_0026.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If me I would move the bookshelves and install some mega JBL speakers. :D Those KEF T-series do solve some issues in your room.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Ha! Good plan but I already have too many "large" speaker systems - see my sig for the details. Only this morning my wife asked if we "really needed" the W210 subwoofers. She just doesn't get the importance of a high crossover and corner placement to mitigate SBIR issues.

F

freemansteve

Just make space on the bookshelves for some, err, small bookshelf speakers and a nice little Evo 75 to drive them - only 317W x 89H x 352D mm. Perfect to hook the TV in, over an HDMI cable, too.

Your scope for fab speakers is limited, but even speakers made from cornflake packets will seem like a massive upgrade from the TV speakers. If in the UK, check speakers at Richer sounds and buy whatever fits - the angle is no big deal. On the bottom shelf, consider 2x QAcoustics 3060s subs - not really HiFi but OK, and only 480W x 300H x 150D mm

Lose some books and buy a Kindle!

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Thanks @freemansteve! I forgot to say that I don’t want to move the books. Agree that it would be simple if I could do that, but I don’t want to.

If I was made of money I could, for example, put some iLoud MTMs between the fireplace and bookcases, angled down to the listening position. But damn those are expensive.

So the question is how to achieve a similar result for less money.

F

freemansteve

Do you have space between ceiling and top of bookshelf to wall-mount on a bracket and angle down? You could also wall mount either side of the TV.

Nothing is going to be ideal in the space you have....

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Not really. I have other rooms with terrific setups, so I’m not lacking for great sound. The aim here is low level listening, mainly to movies and TV.

JSmith

Master Contributor
50" TV. It's a bit high up, and only 2.5m from the sofa.
Warning: this is a video enthusiast comment

Yes it's too high up, or more tilting needed as I can see you have a space restriction... 2.5m is quite a viewing distance too;

1647599998699.png

... and if you're trying to view 4K content from that distance, even closer. Just sayin' :D

Also, I assume that fire is not in use? If planning on using in winter, the rising heat may damage the panel.

JSmith

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot to say that I don’t want to move the books.
You and/or your wife have excellent taste in literature, I have to say. So I understand your reluctance. But something's gotta give ... and honestly, replacing half a dozen books each side with small bookshelf loudspeakers will give by far the best results. Quasi-soffit mounting, no SBIR, visually unobtrusive, easily installed - it's the perfect solution.

F

freemansteve

For just TV, consider a soundbar.
Or make some long, slim speaker enclosures to squeeze between the bookshelves and chimney breast...

F

freemansteve

High TV works fine for us. Modern UK rooms have far less ceiling height than most other places, so it's deceptive.
We tend to sit back in the seats anyway.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
I didn’t realise the book titles would be visible, damn these new phone cameras are amazing! Yeah look I could totally grab a pair of small bookshelf speakers from the attic (I think I have some original NHT Absolute Zeros) and move some books, but then I wouldn’t be asking for help here…

JSmith

Master Contributor
High TV works fine for us.
All good, that is why I prefaced my comment with the warning... to a video enthusiast things like that are cringeworthy, aspect ratio issues, or like how poor speaker placement to an audio enthusiast is. I have the problem of being both... :)

JSmith

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Why not another pair of LXMinis? Painted white would fit with the decor, and they're pretty easy to move.

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
@JSmith totally agree, the big room is much better set up, this is just my personal office. And the fireplace is blocked up, purely ornamental :)

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Why not another pair of LXMinis? Painted white would fit with the decor, and they're pretty easy to move.
Just no room for them unfortunately. Any solution has to be flush with the TV, so 40mm off the wall max.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I am seconding two recommendations:
@JSmith post above
Warning: this is a video enthusiast comment

Yes it's too high up, or more tilting needed as I can see you have a space restriction... 2.5m is quite a viewing distance too;

View attachment 193273

... and if you're trying to view 4K content from that distance, even closer. Just sayin' :D

Also, I assume that fire is not in use? If planning on using in winter, the rising heat may damage the panel.

JSmith
and

It seems too high, subtly you may have to bend you neck upward to watch the TV, this will eventually strain your neck ...
For just TV, consider a soundbar.
Or make some long, slim speaker enclosures to squeeze between the bookshelves and chimney breast...

I understand the audiophile reluctance but for TV and music at low level ... A sonos ARC could be the ticket. Have an audition if you can, it may surprise you, later you add their subwoofer and ... A bit expensive, but IMO, sound is more than decent. I would say surprising.

Peace

OP
M

mcdn

Forum Donor
Thanks @FrantzM . Yes the 10 degree tilt isn’t really enough, it should be 15-20. But such is life. The panel has decent colour accuracy at this angle so it’s fine. If I want better I can go watch the big TV in the other room, this is just for me.

A Sonos Arc would be a bit pricey for this situation. What do you think of the Beam given the low volume levels? I’m already in on the Sonos thing anyway.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I have similar constraints and am using a pair of old Beolab 6000 either side of the TV. Sound ok, look great and fit well in the space.

Top Bottom