• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If costs wouldn`t matter , what would you buy ?

TankTop

15 of these
E74A7FF0-F827-452F-9C74-6F499BE58BC1.jpeg
5 of these
142B18AD-5EA3-46B7-A18E-03B1FA008EDD.jpeg
2 of these
37DBD3D9-0673-4B71-A83B-7A397F9DE8FC.png
And a 24 channel one of these
4213ADE0-1AA9-417C-92DF-063AAEF2C182.jpeg54CEF815-AD36-479B-BC1F-84B0C733A822.jpeg
I think that would cover surround sound.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really sure, but off the top of my head:

If I had the money for a crazy expensive audiophile system I'm presuming I'd have the money for the right room to place it. So...

MBL Radialstrahler system - Probably the 101 E (the 101 Extremes are a bit physically commanding).
Maybe with big ol' cool looking VAC statement tube amps

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
but would you sleep in the same house as these things:

View attachment 75876

Definitely not the one on the left,
she looks like she might kill someone someday.

As an aside I think that it's interesting that you used the term things where I said she. Of course this is a debate pretty much anywhere at this point; when and where, if anywhere, do we draw the line at sentience and what exactly does that mean. I think it is also very interesting how different languages (really probably rooted in culture) approach this concept more generally speaking. Japanese for example has 2 different words for something/someone existing or not; imasu (います) and arimasu (あります) for animate and inanimate.

My personal opinion is that by the end of the move we can definitely say Ava is sentient, animate, います. But that and anyone who disagrees with that point being wrong is just that, my opinion. ;)

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
My opinion is that there is no one set of ultimate audio reproduction gear.

So, my ultimate end goal would be a house built around sound.

Different systems in different rooms. Maybe Magnepans in the dining room. Revels in the den. Maybe a great room with some high-efficiency horns. Some open-baffle speakers in the guest room. Each room would be its own little ecosystem.

Because let's face it. There's no single system you could own that would totally stave off upgrade-itis. :)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Just a bunch of stuff to demo, nothing fancy.
Emotiva Amps, Outlaw Amps, a new MP3 player
Kef R3 vs LS50
HSU vs. Rhythmik 15'' Subs
JBL Studio 590 vs Infinity Towers.
Anthem AVR
Probably the DT 1770, Modhouse Argon MK3.
Wait for the Uni-Fi V2.0

Forgot the Matching Tuner from Yamaha Japan to go with my Integrated.

ReaderZ

A new house with a dedicated listening room, a HT room with good acoustic design and large home office with good acoustic design.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If costs wouldn't matter? I would have my own compound, or campus if that makes more sense.
View attachment 75718
I like a combo of brick and modern styling.

There would of course be a SOTA listening room somwhere on the premesis with only the best measuring equipment available.
View attachment 75720
I probably wouldn't choose these speakers or amps but they look nice.

There would also be an extremely overpriced esoteric listening room filled with audiophile nonsense picked purely based on aesthetics. I think that stuff looks cool. Should have horns, tubes, and vinyl.
View attachment 75721
There isn't enough boxes in this system, there should at least be outboard passive crossovers.
View attachment 75722

I also want the best recording studio in the world. All the most talented people will want to record there. My booth would have the best Genelec's or Neumann's money can buy of course.
View attachment 75717

Then there needs to be space for the artists to perform live so I would have an excellent concert hall. Once again this would attract the most talented performers to come visit my campus.
View attachment 75726

And of course an outdoor performance area for more raucous performances when the weather is nice.
View attachment 75719

I also like to dabble in DIY so I would have a great shop
View attachment 75727

And to verify my DIY designs and other equipment purchases I need the same Klippel and Audio Precision instrumentation as Amir of course. Would probably have an anechoic chamber as well just for the hell of it.
View attachment 75729
99 LS50s. I wonder if Nena would be willing to write the lyrics for that one.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Kling75 Do you have the Lux L-81 as pictured in your avatar? It was one of the very first amplifiers I repaired. We still have it and another one. A beautiful amplifier.

TonioRoffo

First, a room with good dimensions minimizing room modes and ample treatment.

Then, KEF blade 2's, powered by eigentakt or good old NC400 (biamping or better of course) hand tuned by Bruno Putzeys ;)
Source remains the same as I'm running today. A little NUC running Foobar2000 with Dirac live processing into a NAD M51 (possibly a topping 90, nowadays) Dirac can be removed if I can get the room good enough ;)

As for a surround setup... KEF in wall ref series *all around you* measured and put in wall boxes by Dr. Jack Oclee-Brown himself, again Ncore or Eigentakt amplification. Lyngdorf MP-60 as processor/pre, probably, not sure feeding which DAC's or using their own outputs.

LS50W in every other room of the house. :D

PS. Probably it'll end up looking like this :p With a live symphonic orchestra.

EZ.jpg

D

Deleted member 16502

If costs wouldn't matter? I would have my own compound, or campus if that makes more sense.
View attachment 75718
I like a combo of brick and modern styling.

There would of course be a SOTA listening room somwhere on the premesis with only the best measuring equipment available.
View attachment 75720
I probably wouldn't choose these speakers or amps but they look nice.

There would also be an extremely overpriced esoteric listening room filled with audiophile nonsense picked purely based on aesthetics. I think that stuff looks cool. Should have horns, tubes, and vinyl.
View attachment 75721
There isn't enough boxes in this system, there should at least be outboard passive crossovers.
View attachment 75722

I also want the best recording studio in the world. All the most talented people will want to record there. My booth would have the best Genelec's or Neumann's money can buy of course.
View attachment 75717

Then there needs to be space for the artists to perform live so I would have an excellent concert hall. Once again this would attract the most talented performers to come visit my campus.
View attachment 75726

And of course an outdoor performance area for more raucous performances when the weather is nice.
View attachment 75719

I also like to dabble in DIY so I would have a great shop
View attachment 75727

And to verify my DIY designs and other equipment purchases I need the same Klippel and Audio Precision instrumentation as Amir of course. Would probably have an anechoic chamber as well just for the hell of it.
View attachment 75729
What he said! :D

Top Bottom