• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEMs close to Harman curve?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm very unhappy with both harman target especially with the in ear target AND GRAS's new hires head and variants.
There are two main characters of over ear/2013 original harman target. First, bass increase strictly below 200hz. Second rolled off highs after 10khz. Both are artificial or incorrect. 200hz is manually selected as bass frequency point, which doesn't related to loudness contour or speakers in room response. It's completely arbitrary and unnecessary. Second the high frequency roll off. Neither of tyll's attempt and early in room response(eg etymotic and other small room responses) or diffuse filed or free field has rolled off highs after 10k. (at least not that fast). Both are the main characters different from early targets and both are wrong essentially.
Good thing is the first one isn't that bad. It sounded 3 dimensional and somewhat enjoyable.
Then there is the in ear response. It's very bad and sounds like sh* basically. It has no high extension and huge amount of emphasis around 7khz. The reason was the fact that most in ears do measure like that and for shallow insertion it's not easy to change the peak around 7k. But using the averaged response of those slightly tuned in ears is very bad idea. This is the main obstacle to propagate harman target. And it's really confusing. Etymotics target is far more neutral and is done around 30 years ago. (you may think their old heads aren't accurate or advanced as now) Yes they are. They used the kemar from Knowles (later on sold to GRAS as we know now) And used swizlocki coupler instead of the iec coupler we now know. Both couplers are extremely close that most swizlochi are actually tunable(I even have one of those bought last year as a nerd). And GRAS used the same coupler response (basically ). For short, it's still relevant and accurate. Won't verbose. So basically etymotic target good yet not perfect but much better than harman target.
Now the GRAS hires head. They changed the input impedance of the coupler to be "suitable" to measure HIRES content. This makes the coupler acoustic impedance different from human ears. Because all transducers are not perfect voltage source the input impedance of the next system is very important. In the case of human ears is reactive. There is article from B&K showing the early stage of design of couplers with real measurements of human ears. The issue is that new head is still complied to the iec standard. How could that be? The standard(iec 711 or iec 60318-4) only specifys the peak frequency of the impedance not the amplitude, which is at 13.5khz +-1.5k iirc. The new coupler still has the same peak frequency just reduced the amplitude. Is that bad? Refer to the article from bk, yes it no longer resemble the impedance of human ears. Then people will then ask ' it's only over 10khz which wasn't accurate anyway. We are only using under 10khz'. Yeah two problems, first of all if only 10khz and below is used why bother with hires head to begin with? Secondly, which is more importantly, the impedance is measured at reference plane which translate to the ear drum. Only etymotic er4 and some custom iems are inserted at that depth. What's for the other insertion like shallow insert inear and over ear headphones? 0db.kr has the answer. Generally minor different at around 3k 5k and huge difference around 10khz. That's also the reason why jude from headfi always has less 10khz in his measurements and hence the infamous z1r 10k peak confusion. Almost no one knew why at least in the public. It's basically unusable. And some people even think the difference is better or more accurate. No! If you try 10s of pairs of headphones earphones and use sine wave /tone generator to hear whether there is peak of the earphone or the high frequency extension, you will realize the response is completely incomprehensible at that range. Here is another thing, coincidentally the hires head and the harman target both have high frequency roll off. Is it gospel? No, some earphones have peaks and some don't and non are present in hires head. Do you think that's true representation? So in conclusion the new hires head from gras adds more confusion to the field which was already chaotic(iec 318 type, diy mic + tube type, 2cc type, cheap iec711 type) and provides no actual benefits to the user. One side note, someone posted the oratory1990. He is one affected one that's more embarrassing. Which is sad to him because he paid really a lot for his setup. He used old head and new pinna. Think about it. It doesn't work together. Resulting 5-7khz peak for many over ear headphones that's not present in measurements with older pinna. The head is more expensive than apx555 I tell you that much. and pinnaa along are more than 6000 dollars. ( i don't know exactly how much but only more than 6k not less). Tyll is gone, so is inner fidelity. I miss him a lot. We had speakerphone clarityfidelity, he doesn't update anymore. We had 0db.kr, they upgraded to new head. Naver ear fi is still good but they rarely measure over ear(still do just rare) and is one of the last hope. Oratory1990 was probably the new hope but ruined by both harman and GRAS. I also miss m.r.o which last update was a few years ago. Also goldenears(both global and kr site) don't update anymore. They did even in 2016. Seeko.kr doesn't update anymore last was 2017 I believe. It's so sad we don't have many websites to read. I personally still have friend who has b&k 4128c(equivalent to old gras) I can see some measurements. It's sad and worrying and genuinely powerless facing the measuring field.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Relevant links:
ear impedance https://www.bksv.com/media/doc/bn0221.pdf
difference between new and old heads(use google translate)
https://www.0db.co.kr/BOARD_0DB/498388
comparison of impedance old vs new at different distance from ear drum(reference plane)
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-and-headset-measurement-seminar-gras
small room response (related to etymotic) as well as diffuse filed and free field
http://en.goldenears.net/388
naver earfi(heme)
https://m.blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=gre_nada

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Something you may ask that I didn't talk about. Some of you may have heard of b&k 5128c which is atm used in Harman research. Is it better or worse?
I don't know exactly because I haven't got my hands on one nor I see the impedance. What I know is from a design note from 5128c they measured 40-ish people's ear canal response in order to redesign the coupler to be suitable for 1/4inch mic(size of mic will change the final response a lot, eg more high frequency with original coupler). And according to their pdf https://www.bksv.com/-/media/literature/Product-Data/bp2573.ashx
The response are still pretty similar to the old one(can be found on goldenears link). So I suppose this one is the best one so far. Old one is actually only accurate up to 8khz.

Another note, to avoid further confusion, The old head is NOT perfect. And does not represent the response for everyone. It is only one response you may be the lucky one that happens to be similar to yours. But it's mostly not the case. Why is it still important? It's at least an attempt to emulate human ear and for instance, there may be peak of earphone at 8khz on measurements. It mostly mean there will be a peak somewhere in the high frequency it just may not be at the same frequency. It may lie at 6khz in your ear. But there will be one. And that's important. For iems like er4, it's almost 100% accurate because those couplers are designed to be measured at reference plane. And to real human it needs to be inserted into 2nd bend just like hearing aids or custom iems like the ones used by musicians. New heads has considerably less high frequency energy, it does not represent that of er4 in real human.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One suggestion to amirm regarding these recommendations or standars. ITU is not the one that's commonly accepted, more like a secondary one. It's better to refer to iec standard eg iec-60318 iec-60268 etc. Here are a few including itu but more.
https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/05/introduction-measurement-procedures.html
It is unfortunate to us that these standards cost money. But it's generally more accepted as they are.

One thing i remember in 60318 is measure the frequency response using huaman ears comparing the loudness of headphones and diffuse field generated by array of speakers. It's very interesting to see.

Earfonia

It's basically what the current standard based on. I even have one that coupler.

Do you have comparison of measurement of a certain IEM with all the couplers that you have?
It would be interesting to see the differences. Very rare to know someone who 'collects' acoustic couplers :D

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you have comparison of measurement of a same IEM with all the couplers that you have?
It would be interesting to see the differences. Very rare to know someone who 'collects' acoustic couplers :D
Nah. I only have regular 711/60318-4 and one zwislocki. And 711s are the same between b&k and gras. Other companies may have different peak frequency around 13.5khz(possibly 14khz), and the peak amplitude can be different (lower than b&k).

Earfonia

Nah. I only have regular 711/60318-4 and one zwislocki. And 711s are the same between b&k and gras. Other companies may have different peak frequency around 13.5khz(possibly 14khz), and the peak amplitude can be different (lower than b&k).

Do you have any experience with generic 711 coupler from Taobao or AliExpress? How useful are they considering the lower price? Tx!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you have any experience with generic 711 coupler from Taobao or AliExpress? How useful are they considering the lower price? Tx!
The couplers are actually pretty good. The issue is the transducer itself. Non piston type like electret type can lead to very unexpected peaks and valleys and unwanted damping.

Earfonia

The couplers are actually pretty good. The issue is the transducer itself. Non piston type like electret type can lead to very unexpected peaks and valleys and unwanted damping.

Just crossed my mind, ear drum is more drum-like and not piston type like membrane, so isn't condenser mic would be more drum-like construction wise?

Aprude51

Last edited:

STUDIO51

See direm E3 IEM in this link. The first image is a RAW graph and a graph equalized to a HARMAN IE 2019 target. The final image is measured by the Prediction of Listener Preference of In-Ear Headphones (Harman Model) program, developed jointly by HARMAN and LISTEN.inc. The score is 84 and the manufacturer claims to be the world's best. (Higher than AKG N5005)

Dr. Olive listened to these earphones because the developer of direm E3 and Dr.Sean Olive are close friends. Olive said. I can't believe you can achieve this high score with just a single driver.

I use this earphone too, And it sounds very good. The price is about $ 30, and it is sold in Korea, but I know it is also sold in Europe.

Earfonia

Another, more reasonably priced option is the Ikko OH1 which also seems to track the Harman curve fairly well.

I have IKKO OH1, also listened another 2 sets of OH1 belong to friends. All copies sound very balanced tonality wise. Resolution and perceived transparency are good but not great. At least for tonality it hits bull's eye to me.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I have it right,my IEMs are EQ'd to the 2017 Harman Target Curve

I have JRiver as my player, and got parametric settings for my earphones (1more triple driver in ear) taken off this parametric EQ settings page:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/sbaf-serious

....Awsome resource! Why doesnt anyone do this for speakers! (I Know the room is a big part of the picture, but still!)

I Find in standard Non EQ spec, they are way too laid back, with too much bass. Even EQ'd I would say this is still a little true, but MUCH better.

Thats IF that target curve is the 2017 IEM target curve.... would explain it if not!

ChickenChaser

Having reached my personal endgame - by which I mean I'm not dissatisfied with anything in my current setup in any way, and if I do dabble in anything else from here on it's just out of curiosity and not out of the "need to get better sound" I had for maybe a year and a half - here are my thoughts on and experiences with EQ. I've been using all this with a Lyr 2 (LSST) - Modi 2, and switching to an Atom actually sounds like an upgrade to me. I'm working on replacing the Modi 2 with a KTB.

I find the Rosson RAD-0's tuning perfect for enjoyment without any EQ. Occasionally I add an EQ with a slight bass shelf, boost the lower mids while lowering the upper mids and reduce the ~7-8khz peak. All literally less than 1db in either direction. If anything I'm just stuck in the habit of playing around with EQ, but with the RAD-0 I never end up going past plus or minus 0.4-0.8dB.

The Verite Closed sounds great to me with no EQ, but it also needs a stronger version of the above formula for me to blast the volume loud with extreme metal, mostly because of the elevated upper-mids. So the only EQ I ever put on it makes it less like the Harman curve, as far as I know.

In general, I like having these different flavors to rotate between. I really don't think I would ever be optimally happy with just one signature for life. There's a sweet spot just after I've gotten used to a new signature but before I'm really "accustomed" to it where the amount of engagement I have with the music I'm listening to reaches a peak. Having a few cans to rotate between is my actual "endgame," and I'm really, really happy rotating between these headphones and really could see myself doing it forever with no more big changes.

The SR1a is the only thing left that intrigues me. I can't imagine the Empyrean or Abyss sounding better than the RAD-0 for "pure pleasure" listening. Apparently you can get Abyss-sounding bass on the SR1a anyway. And that $350 driver replacement, for something so expensive, is very appealing to me. As are the Rosson and ZMF's lifetime warranties.

The ER3XR sounds far better to me than the Harman in-ear target. I was actually shocked how much I hated it when I turned the EQ on. I definitely feel like I can hear some distortion, though. According to the Klippel listening test, with open back headphones and a mildly noisy environment without straining I can consistently pick up distortion at -26dB. Make of either claim what you will. It's still good enough to be an "endgame" IEM for me, anyway.

I still own the first HD800 I picked up as my first step into "the hobby" and put the SDR mod in. The full Oratory EQ settings are far too extreme for my tastes, I usually put about 50% of his values on while slightly raising the "mudrange" around 200HZ instead of cutting it like Oratory does. I also have settings I use at different times put to 25% and 75% of his values. When not at the 50% setting, I use the 25% more often than the 75%. I feel like it has something really uniquely special even after EQ'd like this.

I picked up an HD6XX from Massdrop a couple years ago, and it honestly sounded like a muddled mess. I tried getting used to it, I hated it too much to even bother. I did like the HD600 I heard, but that was before the HD800 ruined me on anything I heard below its price range.

I loved the LCD4. Overall it may have been my favorite headphone I've heard yet, but I didn't love it enough to justify the price owning it out of warranty. Occasionally it felt slightly too dark, and I had the HD800 for those moments, but I actually preferred it without the Reveal plug-in regardless.

In other words: I've found the Harman curve useful for making the HD800 one of the most enjoyable headphones I've ever heard, but that's about it. And even there, even with extreme metal like Meshuggah or Car Bomb, I don't prefer it set all the way to Harman values.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is referring to the curve that harman found to be preferred in listening tests of IEMs. I know of one example but I am not at liberty to say.

If it conforms better than the Dan Clark Stealth, can you say how much it costs and then we can donate that amount collectively and you can test it yourself and then you won't be disclosing things directly?

Asinus

I have a hunch about which IEMs Amir is referring to: the AKG N5005.
Another, more reasonably priced option is the Ikko OH1 which also seems to track the Harman curve fairly well.

In the recent Audioholics video Dr. Olive pretty much confirmed it was the N5005, he also showed that the JBL Club Pro+ TWS and Samsung Buds Pro are close to the target and are more affordable.

If it conforms better than the Dan Clark Stealth, can you say how much it costs and then we can donate that amount collectively and you can test it yourself and then you won't be disclosing things directly?
I don't think the N5005 are closer (according to measurements on other sites) but even if the full $999.95 MSRP was donated they have been out of stock for a good part of the year.
1632117435856.png

JWAmerica

Regarding the OP, from what I have seen FiiO tends to have a similar response curve to the Harman average preference curve.

JWAmerica

I don't quite understand why anyone is seeking strict adherence to the average of a preference survey. This is a silly standard to celebrate high accuracy for.

"This headphone is more perfectly average than anything else on the market. It tracks the average preference curve almost exactly, except for a brief -0.5db deviation in the upper midrange."

Top Bottom