• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEMs close to Harman curve?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, it is clearer as you explained the abbeeviations but not completely clear.
I don't manage to put in words what I see.
For instance, should we understand that some people prefer the HP6 for some songs? (which would be perfectly compatible with stat results)
As I read the graph the bar height shows the rating and the little T on the top usually indicates the span of listeners ratings, so no, people did not prefer HP6 and there was very close agreement as to which they did prefer in each case.
Edit, correct the grammar of predictive text. I am using a tablet today and oh how I hate it!

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you see/suggest here doesn't gel with how big corporations work.

I too have worked in a multi-billion dollar engineering group before my current employment status. Amir says it as exactly how things function in such corporations. You don't stir a hornet's nest unless absolutely necessary or if its in the greater interest of the company as a whole.

In this case, its neither.
This applies to any wise company wanting to prosper. I agree and don't see the point of the line of questioning TBH.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't found any information about Harman measurement setup, but I don't think there will be much difference below 4k.

To my taste Harman target has too much bass and the 3k peak is also overdone. The upper bass / lower midrange area sounds recessed.
The models you mentioned still look wrong against the curve on that site, they all have too much upper bass compared to the target, so no wonder they have too much bass to your ears. I'm still yet to see anything that looks close even in the low frequencies.
Are the low frequency measurements consistent across measurement methods, that seems a stretch to me.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I read the graph the bar height shows the rating and the little T on the top usually indicates the span of listeners ratings, so no, people did not prefer HP6 and there was very close agreement as to which they did prefer in each case.
Edit, correct the grammar of predictive text. I am using a tablet today and oh how I hate it!

Yes we can guess all sorts of things but what is that rating about? Giving stars like on Amazon?

I worked as a statistician and whenever I published a graph I was asked to put example sentences to indicate how to read it. Here the test seems well done (eventhough it is about subjective impressions) but some help is missing for interpretation.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes we can guess all sorts of things but what is that rating about? Giving stars like on Amazon?

I worked as a statistician and whenever I published a graph I was asked to put example sentences to indicate how to read it. Here the test seems well done (eventhough it is about subjective impressions) but some help is missing for interpretation.
Full explanation is no doubt in the full document that Amir clipped it from.
Did you read one of his recent posts about their research? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sting-headphones-or-speakers.7910/post-191725
There is a lot of documents out there.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Full explanation is no doubt in the full document that Amir clipped it from.
Did you read one of his recent posts about their research? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sting-headphones-or-speakers.7910/post-191725
There is a lot of documents out there.

Yes it is probably in the full doc. If you have it please send it over.
I read that other thread already.

Giving a preference and giving marks are different things. The first is subjective. The second is a weird blend of subjectivity and will to be objective.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is probably in the full doc. If you have it please send it over.
I don't, maybe Amir can point you at it, ideally in one of the many other threads about how to measure headphones, and keep this for a search for IEMs that conform to the target.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://news.samsung.com/global/the-secrets-behind-galaxy-buds-premium-audio-performance
Described by Dr. Olive as “a perfect marriage between science, engineering, and art,” Galaxy Buds were tuned to the Harman Target Curve by acoustic engineers at AKG. The wireless earbuds achieved a truly impressive performance on the Curve, significantly higher than other wireless earphones, winning the praise of Dr. Olive.

“The sound quality of the new Galaxy Buds is impressive,” Dr. Olive says. “It is difficult to say they have any sonic personality, which is the ultimate compliment I can give.”

This looks promising, and the measurements I can find show it's close, not that I can find measurements done the right way.

Reactions: SMc

hetzer

I am currently using galaxy buds and it is definitely not flat. It has heavy bass and a peak at around 6khz. Actually, I can't say that it has a peak at high frequency range as there are deviation of HRTF and preference. But I am sure about bass as several measurements support me.
Olive Welti Target compensated data
63489bc1a53fbe3e95b3c739c4bd2d02.png

source
Diffuse field compensated data
d830d45633659163ac2bf3c6a7707ac9.png

source
There is a bass boost at considerable extent and this needs to be compensated by eq if someone wants a perfect target-matched 'flat sound'. But if you know how to use eq, you can compensate other earphones too. I personally adjust bass depending on genre and era.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently using galaxy buds and it is definitely not flat. It has heavy bass and a peak at around 6khz. Actually, I can't say that it has a peak at high frequency range as there are deviation of HRTF and preference. But I am sure about bass as several measurements support me.
Olive Welti Target compensated data
View attachment 29131
source
Diffuse field compensated data
View attachment 29133
source
There is a bass boost at considerable extent and this needs to be compensated by eq if someone wants a perfect target-matched 'flat sound'. But if you know how to use eq, you can compensate other earphones too. I personally adjust bass depending on genre and era.
Neither of those are the Harman IEM target, rtings says the bass is too low. Who to believe.

hetzer

Neither of those are the Harman IEM target, rtings says the bass is too low. Who to believe.
If you want 10dB bass boost of harman IEM target, galaxy buds has little bass.
47cb599fedb265902a4607add61d23d1.png

JBL freeX or JBL endurance peak might be closer to harman IEM target.

gr-e

The models you mentioned still look wrong against the curve on that site, they all have too much upper bass compared to the target, so no wonder they have too much bass to your ears. I'm still yet to see anything that looks close even in the low frequencies.
Are the low frequency measurements consistent across measurement methods, that seems a stretch to me.
No. I specifically mentioned that upper bass sounds recessed to me.

SMc

How about the PSB/NAD RoomFeel? PSB makes an IEM ( M4U 4) with that voicing.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. I specifically mentioned that upper bass sounds recessed to me.
Are you referring to the target curve, or the models you listed?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The only IEM I've seen that appears to quite closely match the Harman target is the AKG N5005, but that costs nearly $1k.

markanini

Major Contributor
For IEMs I prefer oratory1990's Usound target curve over Harman. I EQ my Sony MH755 to match it:
2o2kVYtl.png

cRtXySX.jpg
sM36lSD.jpg

Top Bottom