• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM for gaming (competetive/esport)

martin22

Hi,

I would like to buy headphones for gaming (competetive/esport) and as I was looking into it, i found out, that the best choice would be IEM headphones (right?).

So my question is: What would be the best choice?

Budget: up to $150 (or around $200 if something would be worth the price)

"Main" game: PUBG, Valorant, Rust (but I also really like to listen to music (rock mainly), so it would be an important aspect as well).

Previously i had bose qc 20.

I am looking for IEMs that will make it easy to hear footsteps and game audio clearly and precisely.

I have seen some recommendations:
Dunu Kima
Truthear HEXA
Truthear x Crinacle Zero

But to be honest, I am totally lost... I have no idea what makes them "good for gaming"...

I heard, that the thing I should be choosing IEMs based on the graph, but I have no idea what I am looking for in the graph.

And what is the difference between single vs dual driver IEMs?

I am really new to this whole audio "scene" and I will learn how to read the graph (but it will take some time), so I would really appreciate some tips for that also.

Thank you a lot!

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no such thing as “good for gaming” IEM or headphones. I’d recommend getting the Truthear Zero since those are cheap and have lots of good reviews. I’ll reference a video from Crinacle below for you to see what his take is on this matter (his views apply to IEM’s as well).

Crinacle’s take on gaming headphones

Reactions: VQR

someguyontheinternet

Do you know what pros use? They mostly use the cheapest earbud they can find and it works just fine for them.

Just get something that sounds good with low enough distortion. You will be able to alter the FR as necessary, but I sincerely doubt that you could achieve any kind of significant advantage that way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
"Main" game: PUBG, Valorant, Rust (but I also really like to listen to music (rock mainly), so it would be an important aspect as well).
Neither the game, nor the music genre matters here really.

I am looking for IEMs that will make it easy to hear footsteps and game audio clearly and precisely.
You could try using EQ software like Equalizer APO to boost the frequency range of footstep sounds to make them stand out from the mix.

But to be honest, I am totally lost... I have no idea what makes them "good for gaming"...
There's no attribute that makes a headphone or IEM better specifically for gaming than others.
What you should be looking for is a neutral sound signature and a shape that fits your ears comfortably.

I heard, that the thing I should be choosing IEMs based on the graph, but I have no idea what I am looking for in the graph.
Here's a very good primer on frequency response graphs: https://crinacle.com/2020/04/08/graphs-101-how-to-read-headphone-measurements/

And what is the difference between single vs dual driver IEMs?
Just like how different speakers have different amounts of drivers in each cabinet, IEMs also have different amounts of drivers in each side.

What would be the best choice?
I recommend you try a bunch of inexpensive models from Moondrop, Truthear, 7Hz, preferably from someplace like Amazon where you can easily return them.
That way you can quickly find a pair that fits your ears at minimal investment.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were shopping for an IEM for competitive gaming, where AFAIK hear footsteps and ambience cues is critical, I would choose something with low bass and very high pinna gain. It would be terrible for music but that is not the point.

As for which model, just search the squig databases for something following this tuning.

RandomEar

Honestly: The advice already given here is solid. But one point has not been touched on: Noise isolation. You can only identify sounds - including footsteps - if they surpass the noise floor of your environment. At least assuming that you can't crank the IEMs to oblivion because at some point the louder sounds will shatter your eardrums.

There may be street noise in your apartment, the AC may be running or your PC may be loud-ish. To suppress these sounds, passive noise isolation is the easiest path. The main factor for this will be the ears tips. With many of the recommended "cheap" IEMs, you get a decent selection of silicone tips. This is good. You might want to look into foam tips, too. You could order a trial set from your dealer of choice. In my experience, foam tips offer somewhat superior isolation but that will probably also depend on the form of your ears. Not everybody likes their feel, though.

OP
M

martin22

Honestly: The advice already given here is solid. But one point has not been touched on: Noise isolation. You can only identify sounds - including footsteps - if they surpass the noise floor of your environment. At least assuming that you can't crank the IEMs to oblivion because at some point the louder sounds will shatter your eardrums.

There may be street noise in your apartment, the AC may be running or your PC may be loud-ish. To suppress these sounds, passive noise isolation is the easiest path. The main factor for this will be the ears tips. With many of the recommended "cheap" IEMs, you get a decent selection of silicone tips. This is good. You might want to look into foam tips, too. You could order a trial set from your dealer of choice. In my experience, foam tips offer somewhat superior isolation but that will probably also depend on the form of your ears. Not everybody likes their feel, though.
Thank you for pointing this out!

I will look into it.

OP
M

martin22

I was thinking… I could probably buy the Raptgo.

Is there any better set than Raptgo Hook x HBB for that price? I could not find a proper comparison for example to the Quartet (twice as cheap).

What about DUNU VULKAN DK-X6? It is basically the same price range, right?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know what pros use? They mostly use the cheapest earbud they can find and it works just fine for them.

Just get something that sounds good with low enough distortion. You will be able to alter the FR as necessary, but I sincerely doubt that you could achieve any kind of significant advantage that way.
Oh yes. Better headphones/earbuds make a big improvement in gaming stealthy'ness and stuff. Big change.

Dazerdoreal

Thank you all for your answers!

I will look into the https://crinacle.com/2020/04/08/graphs-101-how-to-read-headphone-measurements/ and I will try to look for an IEMs with low bass and very high pinna gain.

So if I would go with the Zero instead of a more expensive Truthear HEXA or Kiwi Ears Quartet I would not loose much?
Not sure if this really is what you need, but if you are looking for low bass, good noise isolation and very high pinna gain, there would be an obvious answer:
Etymotic ER2SE. That said, Etymotics are not exactly "spacious" sounding, so I am not sure.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Before you spend big bucks you should experiment with cheaper IEMs to learn what you like. I wrote some thoughts down on IEM selection here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...beloved-truthear-zero-iems.39796/post-1403002

You can also experiment with EQ to experience the differences without having to buy a new set.

You do not need to spend 200-300 bucks just for gaming. You will not believe how good 20-50$ IEMs are at the moment. The progress in the last couple of years has been crazy. Just buy any of the current budget kings see how you like them and then go from there.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no attribute that makes a headphone or IEM better specifically for gaming than others.
I would agree, unless you don't want to or can't use EQ. (I recommend using EQ.)

In that case, the IEM that naturally emphasized the frequencies present in footstep sounds would be better.

OP
M

martin22

Thanks for all the answers!

If i would like to use the same IEMs for music as well, would there be a BIG difference between the mentioned Raptgo Hook x HBB, Kiwi Ears Quartet or Fanmusic TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero, please?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
You have a tendency of choosing weird IEMs, that makes it hard to find a guy who measured them all under identical circumstances. But I did find some

I don't think any of these are particularly good, the Zero aside. If you buy the Zero you will have a good reference because most people will have measured it so you have something to compare to. If it was me I'd rather get the crinacle RED variant of it but the Zero is not a bad choice. Just get something normal see how you like it and then go from there.

Both the Quartet and the Raptgo have weird frequency responses. Other popular choice would be the 7hz Salnotes Zero, Truthear Hexa or Truthear Hola.

OP
M

martin22

How long are your gaming sessions, @martin22? Have you considered the impact of listening fatigue?
i am taking some breaks after a few hours
You have a tendency of choosing weird IEMs, that makes it hard to find a guy who measured them all under identical circumstances. But I did find some

I don't think any of these are particularly good, the Zero aside. If you buy the Zero you will have a good reference because most people will have measured it so you have something to compare to. If it was me I'd rather get the crinacle RED variant of it but the Zero is not a bad choice. Just get something normal see how you like it and then go from there.

Both the Quartet and the Raptgo have weird frequency responses. Other popular choice would be the 7hz Salnotes Zero, Truthear Hexa or Truthear Hola.
I was watching (beside others) https://www.youtube.com/@FreshReviewsYT on YT and found his videos Kiwi Ears Quartet, Top 5 Gaming IEMs 2022, so I have those "recommendations" from there.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I was watching (beside others) https://www.youtube.com/@FreshReviewsYT on YT and found his videos Kiwi Ears Quartet, Top 5 Gaming IEMs 2022, so I have those "recommendations" from there.
I am not a big fan of most YouTube reviewers, but if I had to recommend some

I bought IEMs based on their recommendations and what they say translates to what I hear, so I trust them. But that can be different for other people, so YMMV.

markanini

Major Contributor
i am taking some breaks after a few hours
Might be long enough sessions for listener fatigue to be an issue. It can reverse fast but often does slowly. As a precaution you can avoid loud treble or rumble sounds that might trigger it prematurely, either via EQ or the tuning of the IEM itself.

Last edited:
OP
M

martin22

Top Bottom