• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEC 60318-4 Coupler SPL Calibration

Earfonia

This topic is related to In-Ear monitor measurement and review, so I posted here in this sub forum.

My attempt to calibrate the SPL reading of my 'AliExpress' IEC 60318-4 compliant coupler with the common ND9B SPL calibrator:

Similar to the 'Level Calibration' procedure in this GRAS document:
https://www.grasacoustics.com/files/m/a/man_60318-4_ear simulators.pdf

But using the cheaper and more easily available ND9B SPL calibrator.

From my test, the correction factor for my IEC 60318-4 coupler is 0.9 dB. So at 94 dB SPL setting, calibrating the IEC 60318-4 coupler to 93.1 dB SPL seems to be pretty accurate.

I would say I'm quite lucky to get a pair of ER2XR with excellent Left-Right tracking and sensitivity that is very close to the specification.
Hopefully one day I could get Etymotic ER4 series to measure the sensitivity on my rig.

For experts here, please let me know if you see anything not right in my calibration procedure. Thanks in advance!

Comments Welcome!

Some slides from my video for quick reference:

Slide2.PNG

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.PNG

Slide7.PNG

Reactions: gzl
Top Bottom