• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideas? Topping A30 Pro--Mains Hum

Ssend

Hi,
I am getting 60hz hum on one channel from the pass-through interconnects on my A30 Pro. The hum is only there when the A30 is on and engaged, and it happens only in the output directly adjacent to the mains input. If I switch the output lines, the hum appears on the other channel, the one that is now adjacent to the mains. The hum is not influenced by the volume control (which would be disconnected from the pass-through when the amp is on).
How to remove the hum? Should I be thinking about isolating outside the amp, so maybe wrapping the mains connect in copper foil? Or inside the amp? doing?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stef

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I am getting 60hz hum on one channel from the pass-through interconnects on my A30 Pro. The hum is only there when the A30 is on and engaged, and it happens only in the output directly adjacent to the mains input. If I switch the output lines, the hum appears on the other channel, the one that is now adjacent to the mains. The hum is not influenced by the volume control (which would be disconnected from the pass-through when the amp is on).
How to remove the hum? Should I be thinking about isolating outside the amp, so maybe wrapping the mains connect in copper foil? Or inside the amp? doing?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stef
When A30 is off, does the signal pass through it passively without hum, or if you skip the pre and go straight.to the amp, hum is gone?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How old is this unit? I suspect you may have a issue with it more than something you can solve. Is it in warranty?

OP
S

Ssend

Good questions.

Inputs/output: XLR in, TRS out.
Hum occurs only in one speaker-- whichever speaker is fed from the TRS out adjacent to the mains in.
Hum occurs only when A30 is powered on.
Hum occurs in all input switch settings, but is slightly louder when switch is set to RCA.
Hum is unaffected by gain setting.
Hum in unaffected by ground lift.

Of course, I can effectively bypass the problem by turning off the power amp, but it would be better for it to work properly.

Purchased recently from another ASR member, but I believe unit is still covered.

I had not heard of this as a known bug.

Thanks!
S

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Good questions.

Inputs/output: XLR in, TRS out.
Hum occurs only in one speaker-- whichever speaker is fed from the TRS out adjacent to the mains in.
Hum occurs only when A30 is powered on.
Hum occurs in all input switch settings, but is slightly louder when switch is set to RCA.
Hum is unaffected by gain setting.
Hum in unaffected by ground lift.

Of course, I can effectively bypass the problem by turning off the power amp, but it would be better for it to work properly.

Purchased recently from another ASR member, but I believe unit is still covered.

I had not heard of this as a known bug.

Thanks!
S
Try swap left right cable.

OP
S

Ssend

swapping l/r cables shows that the hum occurs only in the channel fed by output adjacent to mains in.

aandres_gm

May I ask why you're keeping the A30 Pro on while using speakers? Since the unit doesn't work as a pre amp, I believe it makes no sense keeping it on. Topping even mentions the pass-through works when the A30 Pro is off.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
swapping l/r cables shows that the hum occurs only in the channel fed by output adjacent to mains in.
We have test in setup like this but no mains hum showed up. Maybe try different cables?
Or it may be a contact issue of the socket.

OP
S

Ssend

May I ask why you're keeping the A30 Pro on while using speakers? Since the unit doesn't work as a pre amp, I believe it makes no sense keeping it on. Topping even mentions the pass-through works when the A30 Pro is off.
good question! The issue is that when I'm using phones, the hum is there for others to enjoy!

OP
S

Ssend

We have test in setup like this but no mains hum showed up. Maybe try different cables?
Or it may be a contact issue of the socket.
I have tried reseating the connector, but I've not yet tried a different power cable, nor have I tried new interconnects (I only have one pair). I will get after it.
Have to be out of town for a few days, but I will test when I return.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have tried reseating the connector, but I've not yet tried a different power cable, nor have I tried new interconnects (I only have one pair). I will get after it.
Have to be out of town for a few days, but I will test when I return.
I meant the TRS cable.

OP
S

Ssend

Right. I only have that one pair. But the problem is evident in both cables (the hum is only in one channel, the one adjacent to the mains in). But I will get my hands on a different pair!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Right. I only have that one pair. But the problem is evident in both cables (the hum is only in one channel, the one adjacent to the mains in). But I will get my hands on a different pair!
The construction and shielding may have an effect. I'd recommend starquad cables.

Top Bottom