• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideas for EQing my desktop setup

fun

Hi, all. This is how my desktop audio system looks right now.
Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 9.55.27 AM.png

From usability perspective, it's ok. But as I learn about the importance of EQ, I would appreciate any idea on EQing the system for both the speakers and headphone. Currently, I am using HostingAU/Blackhole to EQ audio from the MacBook (with helps from REW measurements & EQ wizard). While that's not very convenient, I can accept it as it's free, and the results are quite positive, particularly on the speaker side. However, I have no good way to EQ the audio from the SACD player.

These are the few options I am considering:

1. MiniDSP 2x4 HD or DDRC24: I can use the MiniDSP to input switch USB, Toslink (from the Pioneer for CD audio), and analog (SACD & DVD-Audio). I can connect the Out1 & Out2 from the device to the speaker amp, and Out3 & Out4 to the headphone amp, create two separate configuration profiles with the corresponding PEQs for speakers & headphone, and output switch using the configuration profiles. I won't need E30 and the OL Switcher anymore.

2. Motu M4: Use the M4's ADC capabilities to digitize the analog audio from the SACD player, and then use HostingAU/Blackhole to EQ. Output path would be the same as the laptop audio, which is thru the E30, and OL switcher will be used to output switch speaker or headphone amp. Alternatively, I can use the DAC and even both the RCA and TRS line out of the M4, which removes the need of the E30 and OL Switcher.

3. RME ADI-2 Pro FS R: With high quality DAC, ADC and headphone amp, this would replace the E30, L30 and the OL switcher

4. External USB CD drive: Listen to CD from the MacBook, using HostingAU/Blackhole to EQ. Replace the SACD player.

My quick notes about each of the options:

1. Most convenient once setup, just use the remote to input and output switch. However, SINAD of the MiniDSP is not as good. Cost is $225/$400 (with Dirac).
2. Would be rather cumbersome, as need to rely on AUHosting for input/output switching and loading the appropriate EQ profiles. SINAD of the DAC and ADC are quite good. Being able to use the M4 for recording would be a bonus, as I already have a pair of good XLR microphones. Cost is $240.
3. Ideal setup, but cost $2000.
4. Can only listen to CD, including CD layer of my Hybrid SACDs. Bonus is I can also rip some CDs to files. Cost is around $20.

Any thought and suggestion would be welcome.

As a side note, I have used my retired Rotel AVR to drive the speakers, which seems to sound better than using the PA3. In the long-term, I would need the Aurum Cantus speakers for my HT setup, so I plan to get a pair of active speakers, like Genelec 8030A, Kali In5, Adam T5v etc. Being able to EQ properly would give me confidence to take that step.

Thank you!

txbdan

I've done #2 before, but its a bit clunky. I think I had issues where I had to have the computer on that's connected to the M4 in order to get it to work, etc. I still run this way with my second computer connected to the M4's inputs, but I don't use it that much so not a big deal. It does work, though.

I also use SoundSource for EQ and to host plugins like DiracLive.

Reactions: fun
OP
F

fun

OP
F

fun

I've done #2 before, but its a bit clunky. I think I had issues where I had to have the computer on that's connected to the M4 in order to get it to work, etc. I still run this way with my second computer connected to the M4's inputs, but I don't use it that much so not a big deal. It does work, though.

I also use SoundSource for EQ and to host plugins like DiracLive.
Good to know this work. Will check out SourceSource. Didn't know it can host DiracLive. Appreciate your feedback!

D700

Hey, same need here. I bought SoundSource but I'm looking for how to translate Amir's HD 650 recommendations. Looks like I need to use AUNBandEQ plugin (Apple) and convert @amirm recommended settings. Its daunting for a newbie but I really want to experience this.

OP
F

fun

Hey, same need here. I bought SoundSource but I'm looking for how to translate Amir's HD 650 recommendations. Looks like I need to use AUNBandEQ plugin (Apple) and convert @amirm recommended settings. Its daunting for a newbie but I really want to experience this.
Yes, I setup the EQ with AUNBandEQ plugin inside HostingAU for Hifiman Ananda and Senn HD598, using Oratory & Amir's recommendations. It is a pretty straight forward process. The only thing I have to convert is from 'Q' to 'width' (which is what AUNBandEQ use as parameter) using an online converter.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For EQ within an AU package to work with SoundSource check out the following:
MEqualizer, QRange, Marvel GEQ. TDR Nova is a great paid option as well.

D700

For EQ within an AU package to work with SoundSource check out the following:
MEqualizer, QRange, Marvel GEQ. TDR Nova is a great paid option as well.
i appreciate the suggestions, I just don’t have time to research and learn all this stuff. I was hoping for a quick and easy translation of Amir’s settings to Soundforce using the AU widgets that come with Mac install

txbdan

i appreciate the suggestions, I just don’t have time to research and learn all this stuff. I was hoping for a quick and easy translation of Amir’s settings to Soundforce using the AU widgets that come with Mac install

AUNBandEQ works fine, just have to convert Qs to widths like was mentioned.

SoundSource also has a bunch of built-in headphone EQ presets from various sources.

stan21

I use SoundSource (it’s a gem) to allow systemwise use of plug-ins and then Fabfilter Pro Q-3 so you can apply EQ to any app, Tidal, Apple Music, etc.

Top Bottom