• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideal DAC+Headphone Amp?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I typically use my phone or tablet for music listening only in noisy environments like cars or airplanes, where sound quality is less important. That's also why I never invested in expensive IEMs because what would be the point a noisy environment? But recently due to working from home I was listening to my phone in a quiet environment (with VSonic VSD3S) and realized it didn't sound as good as my audio system or even my PC (Juli@ sound card to JDS Atom). So I measured it and found it was nowhere near "neutral".

This got me thinking why doesn't anyone make a little USB DAC that:
  • Has DAC performance in Amir's best "blue" section
  • Has a built-in headphone amp
  • Has enough clean power to drive full size headphones like HD600 or Audeze LCD-2
    • At least 3.5 Volt
    • At least 120 mAmp
    • At least 400 mW
  • Has a high/low gain switch so it can also drive sensitive IEMs
  • Has great headphone amp performance
    • SINAD at least 100 dB at full scale
    • SNR at least 90 dB at 50 mV
    • L-R channel match within 0.25 dB down to -40 dB
Of all the DAC + headphone amps reviewed here, some meet some of these goals, but none (below $500) meet all of them. One could meet these goals with a separate DAC and headphone amp (say, Topping E30 + JDS Atom), but that requires 2 devices. It would be nice to have 1 device that does it all. The SMSL M500 comes close but its SNR at 50 mV is only 80 dB.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME ADI-2 DAC will do that, but it's like 5x more expensive than a Topping JDS stack...

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Right, and the RME ADI-2 is a great device. But it's a bit too expensive and not easy to move around. If it's possible for a $100 amp (JDS atom), and a $130 DAC (Topping E30) to meet these specs, then it must be possible for a single device (DAC + amp) to meet them at a much lower price and more portable package than the RME ADI-2.

I'm thinking something that would be easy to carry around in a bag back and forth, home/work or easily plug into different sources (computers, CD players or whatever). Doesn't have to be battery powered, but that would be a nice option.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right, their should be. Marketing is weird sometimes.

Maybe someone else can dig deeper and find something worth sending to Amir for a test.

SwainVoorman

I've been thinking along these lines as well. Have been thinking about the Topping Dx7pro but increasingly think waiting for a E30/L30 stack will be quite formidable. Would be pairing with a LCD2-C.

Nango

Major Contributor
I typically use my phone or tablet for music listening only in noisy environments like cars or airplanes, where sound quality is less important. That's also why I never invested in expensive IEMs because what would be the point a noisy environment? But recently due to working from home I was listening to my phone in a quiet environment (with VSonic VSD3S) and realized it didn't sound as good as my audio system or even my PC (Juli@ sound card to JDS Atom). So I measured it and found it was nowhere near "neutral".

This got me thinking why doesn't anyone make a little USB DAC that:
  • Has DAC performance in Amir's best "blue" section
  • Has a built-in headphone amp
  • Has enough clean power to drive full size headphones like HD600 or Audeze LCD-2
    • At least 3.5 Volt
    • At least 120 mAmp
    • At least 400 mW
  • Has a high/low gain switch so it can also drive sensitive IEMs
  • Has great headphone amp performance
    • SINAD at least 100 dB at full scale
    • SNR at least 90 dB at 50 mV
    • L-R channel match within 0.25 dB down to -40 dB
Of all the DAC + headphone amps reviewed here, some meet some of these goals, but none (below $500) meet all of them. One could meet these goals with a separate DAC and headphone amp (say, Topping E30 + JDS Atom), but that requires 2 devices. It would be nice to have 1 device that does it all. The SMSL M500 comes close but its SNR at 50 mV is only 80 dB.
You're talking about a DAP Astell Kann. And it has battery too.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Regarding Astell & Kern - (1) do they measure as well as they look? (2) do they meet the above output minimums? this is to comfortably drive full size headphones (3) they're not in the price range - even more expensive than the RMI ADI-2.

Top Bottom