• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideal curves for different radiation patterns. Optimize for on-axis or off-axis?

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I don't think I'd consider Dr. Toole's statement on that matter all-encompassing though. Some who participated in the shootout felt the M2 got better the farther away they were and many theorized in a large room with long listening distances the Salon2 would run into problems trying to keep up with the M2 at high volumes. That is a consideration you really don't need to worry about in small rooms but might in large ones.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In his book, Toole cites a study by Sean Olive that had three similarly rated speakers in four different rooms evaluated.
The result was that the rating of the speakers among themselves hardly changed.
Quote: Toole, Sound Reproduction
How similar were the 3 speakers? Did they all have good spins?
I've heard speakers change from I like these a lot, to these are horrible, with only a change of room.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard speakers change from I like these a lot, to these are horrible, with only a change of room.
See also Toole's presentation on youtube at 17:00 min.
1581030743215.png

1581030892171.png

Haint

Have Dr. Toole, Olive, and Harmon's other researchers ever commented on why the Salon 2 still wins their preference tests despite not appearing to measure as well as many of Revel's newer models?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some who participated in the shootout felt the M2 got better the farther away they were and many theorized in a large room with long listening distances the Salon2 would run into problems trying to keep up with the M2 at high volumes. That is a consideration you really don't need to worry about in small rooms but might in large ones.
That may be true, but the emphasis should be on "could theoretically". Because unfortunately this has not been tested.

But it is obvious that the JBL M2 has advantages over the Salon 2 for large rooms and distances due to its directional radiation.
Have Dr. Toole, Olive, and Harmon's other researchers ever commented on why the Salon 2 still wins their preference tests despite not appearing to measure as well as many of Revel's newer models?
Here too, the reason could be in the important 1-4kHz range. Perhaps this range was emphasized more strongly in the newer models and now appears too present in some recordings.

But for this you would have to compare the corresponding Spinorama data.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From my own theoretical perspective, this really depends a lot upon the recording technique what an ideal speaker would be.

For music recorded in a studio, either electronic or close mic'd to the instruments, I imagine wide dispersion is preferable so that your room can bring the recording to life as though instruments were playing in your room.

For a performance recorded live, that includes the sound of the space within the recording already, narrow dispersion would seem the ideal to minimize the sound of your own room. I don't see any reason that I should be hearing two different rooms at once.

Binaural recordings reflect this concept well. They're very effective when listened to via headphones, and also impactful when listened to through speakers. Maximizing the direct vs reflected sound (and minimizing cross-talk) seems to be important to achieving the effect too.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that's probably the case, and the shootout between the M2 and Salon2 is a good example of that. However, I think the optimum will change with different applications. A controlled directivity speaker can have many advantages in a theater or multichannel system that won't show up in a 2-channel listening test--in fact they may work against them in such a test.

In a theater/multichannel room where the spaciousness and envelopment in a recording are provided by the surround speakers (so you want/need fewer room reflections), things like dialog intelligibility favor a higher percentage of direct vs reflected sound and you're trying to provide the most similar sound to a wider area/number of listeners, I don't think you end up with the same desired DI curve as you do for a 2-channel room optimized to a single sweetspot.

Indeed, multi-channel is a whole 'nother animal. My focus in this thread is definitely on stereo, but this is worth keeping in mind.

Great thread and I'm glad to see people got together to conduct a test like this! Very valuable, but lots of work, kudos to all involved.
Without having to dig through 1,751 posts; do you know how was this test done/setup? Mono, stereo, listening distance, how close to walls, size room, RT etc? Thanks!
I've always wondered if the result would change if it was done again in a different room, or if room after room the result would hold.

While there were stereo listening sessions, the actual blind tests were conducted in mono. Stereo listening tests were just for fun.

"Don't forget, everyone, we will follow up the blind mono listening tests with stereo listening sessions of each speaker. The caveat is that these will not be blinded.

Idea being that it will be fun to just listen to stereo music with both excellent speakers once we go through the trials. "

There is no reason for me to believe changing the room would have a significant effect on the results based on what we know about being able to hear "through" the room. While I think speakers with clear flaws can benefit from certain rooms (for example, one with awful vertical directivity may benefit from very high ceilings), in general, good speakers should sound good in any room.

I think more likely to cause a change would be who is involved in the listening tests. Some people just prefer narrow directivity.

While not immediately evident from the spins, if at all, looking at normalized SPL curves from Stereophile makes it very clear the Ultima series has wider directivity than the lower-end revels. I'd bet a good buck that's the main reason.

For example, here's Performa F228Be, which seems to have prettier spins with less of crossover dip:
Snag_65fe4fce.png

And here's the Salon2:
Snag_65ff65a3.png

The F228Be dips by 18dB at 90 degrees and ~8Khz. The Salon2 is down just 12.

The Salon2 simply has much wider directivity in the front horizontal hemisphere, and it will almost certainly sound "bigger" and more expansive.

That said, it's also worth remembering that the blind studies generally compare speakers within a wide range of price brackets and performance metrics. Not having seen data comparing only upper echelon speakers, it could very well be possible that other factors like distortion, compression, transients, etc have more of an impact in, say, the top 10 percent of speakers. I'd imagine that, past a certain degree of FR linearity and even dispersion, the circle of confusion will likely make it too difficult to puzzle out meaningful differences just from frequency response, at least not without testing an exorbitant number of songs for a better statistical sample.

From my own theoretical perspective, this really depends a lot upon the recording technique what an ideal speaker would be.

For music recorded in a studio, either electronic or close mic'd to the instruments, I imagine wide dispersion is preferable so that your room can bring the recording to life as though instruments were playing in your room.

For a performance recorded live, that includes the sound of the space within the recording already, narrow dispersion would seem the ideal to minimize the sound of your own room. I don't see any reason that I should be hearing two different rooms at once.

Binaural recordings reflect this concept well. They're very effective when listened to via headphones, and also impactful when listened to through speakers. Maximizing the direct vs reflected sound (and minimizing cross-talk) seems to be important to achieving the effect too.

While I definitely agree recording technique has some influence, I still think people will tend to gravitate towards wider dispersion. No stereo recording is an accurate capture of a live soundfield - only a better or worse fascimile. I just think wide dispersion makes it easier to make that illusion seem realistic. On a similar topic, Toole says (again, in that AVS forums about the Salon2 vs M2):

"Highly rated loudspeakers in mono listening tend to draw less attention to the fact that all of the sound is emerging from a point in space. Some amount of this is unavoidable - there is only one loudspeaker - but when they are free from non-musical audible artifacts like resonances, distortion (not normally an issue), and when there are some room reflections to put the speaker into an acoustical context, the image is less of an exaggerated pin point. Audiophiles might call this "air'. So there are two positive attributes in loudspeakers to look for - an absence of resonances and uniformly wide dispersion.

Recording engineers, when creating a soundstage, may prefer pin-point localization so that they can follow their electronic manipulations. Control rooms are sometime quite dead, and "near field" monitoring is common. However, at home, listening for pleasure, they too exhibit a preference for more reflected sound. Mastering engineers who leave their imprint on recordings just before we get to hear them, prefer to listen through high quality wide dispersion Hi Fi loudspeakers in relatively normal rooms. They hear something like what we hear. That is good, it helps to alleviate the circle of confusion. "

That last paragraph is really key, I think. pin-point imaging can be useful, and some people always prefer it over an expansive soundstage. But overall, I very much suspect wide directivity is more likely to create an illusion that is convincing even if it might not transport you to the space as effectively (and personally, no narrow directivity speaker really does that except in some rare cases. There's still too much of the room)

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Indeed, multi-channel is a whole 'nother animal. My focus in this thread is definitely on stereo, but this is worth keeping in mind.

While there were stereo listening sessions, the actual blind tests were conducted in mono. Stereo listening tests were just for fun.

"Don't forget, everyone, we will follow up the blind mono listening tests with stereo listening sessions of each speaker. The caveat is that these will not be blinded.

Idea being that it will be fun to just listen to stereo music with both excellent speakers once we go through the trials. "

There is no reason for me to believe changing the room would have a significant effect on the results based on what we know about being able to hear "through" the room. While I think speakers with clear flaws can benefit from certain rooms (for example, one with awful vertical directivity may benefit from very high ceilings), in general, good speakers should sound good in any room.

I think more likely to cause a change would be who is involved in the listening tests. Some people just prefer narrow directivity.

While not immediately evident from the spins, if at all, looking at normalized SPL curves from Stereophile makes it very clear the Ultima series has wider directivity than the lower-end revels. I'd bet a good buck that's the main reason.

For example, here's Performa F228Be, which seems to have prettier spins with less of crossover dip:
View attachment 48922

And here's the Salon2:
View attachment 48923

The F228Be dips by 18dB at 90 degrees and ~8Khz. The Salon2 is down just 12.

The Salon2 simply has much wider directivity in the front horizontal hemisphere, and it will almost certainly sound "bigger" and more expansive.

That said, it's also worth remembering that the blind studies generally compare speakers within a wide range of price brackets and performance metrics. Not having seen data comparing only upper echelon speakers, it could very well be possible that other factors like distortion, compression, transients, etc have more of an impact in, say, the top 10 percent of speakers. I'd imagine that, past a certain degree of FR linearity and even dispersion, the circle of confusion will likely make it too difficult to puzzle out meaningful differences just from frequency response, at least not without testing an exorbitant number of songs for a better statistical sample.

While I definitely agree recording technique has some influence, I still think people will tend to gravitate towards wider dispersion. No stereo recording is an accurate capture of a live soundfield - only a better or worse fascimile. I just think wide dispersion makes it easier to make that illusion seem realistic. On a similar topic, Toole says (again, in that AVS forums about the Salon2 vs M2):

"Highly rated loudspeakers in mono listening tend to draw less attention to the fact that all of the sound is emerging from a point in space. Some amount of this is unavoidable - there is only one loudspeaker - but when they are free from non-musical audible artifacts like resonances, distortion (not normally an issue), and when there are some room reflections to put the speaker into an acoustical context, the image is less of an exaggerated pin point. Audiophiles might call this "air'. So there are two positive attributes in loudspeakers to look for - an absence of resonances and uniformly wide dispersion.

Recording engineers, when creating a soundstage, may prefer pin-point localization so that they can follow their electronic manipulations. Control rooms are sometime quite dead, and "near field" monitoring is common. However, at home, listening for pleasure, they too exhibit a preference for more reflected sound. Mastering engineers who leave their imprint on recordings just before we get to hear them, prefer to listen through high quality wide dispersion Hi Fi loudspeakers in relatively normal rooms. They hear something like what we hear. That is good, it helps to alleviate the circle of confusion. "

That last paragraph is really key, I think. pin-point imaging can be useful, and some people always prefer it over an expansive soundstage. But overall, I very much suspect wide directivity is more likely to create an illusion that is convincing even if it might not transport you to the space as effectively (and personally, no narrow directivity speaker really does that except in some rare cases. There's still too much of the room)
I still believe that what your arguing for as "wider directivity" in these speaker comparisons is an intentional smoothing of the off axis response because Harmon research has determined that to be more preferable. The Salon2 is an older design and it's off axis isn't as smooth as the newer Be series. This isn't meant to be a positive attribute over the F228be.

The most likely reason the Salon2 beats the F228be in blind listening tests is because it's a competently designed large 4-way speaker with significantly deeper bass extension. People love that bass!

Last edited:
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still believe that what your arguing for as "wider directivity" in these speaker comparisons is an intentional smoothing of the off axis response because Harmon research has determined that to be more preferable. The Salon2 is an older design and it's off axis isn't as smooth as the newer Be series. This isn't meant to be a positive attribute over the F228be.

There are two points I want to make:

1) Wide directivity is generally preferred to narrow directivity for recreational listening
2) Sometimes this preference is strong enough that wide directivity is preferred even if an narrow directivity speaker has more even off-axis response (if you have the newest version of Dr Toole's book, see section,7.4.2)

That said how do you figure the revel 2 isn't smoother? Remember horizontal directivity is perceptually more important than vertical (at least for spatial attributes), and this is an area the spinorama is not very helpful: it says almost nothing about vertical performance(sometimes you can gather a bit by the difference between the early reflections and sound power curves since the latter includes much more vertical data, but it's obscure at best).

From the Stereophile measurements above, it's immediately obvious the Salon2 has wider horizontal directivity than the F228Be and it's arguably smoother too. The region above 10KHz is not particularly important, imo.

This performance difference is also apparent from Soundstage Network's measurements. Salon2 vs M126Be, which seems to use the same or a similar waveguide to the F228Be.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The fact that people prefer wider directivity gets repeated a lot, but I wonder if there are any resources that quantify this in a more direct fashion?

I mean, if it was simply the widest directivity that wins(presuming no major frequency response issues), surely the best speaker would be an omni, right? But those seem to be a really niche design(except for their use as mono wireless speakers, I suppose). So what are the widest directivity speakers that also measure well? The Salon 2 comes up often, but it's wildly expensive, heavy, and bulky. Are there alternatives?

Can your directivity get "too wide"? Does it matter at what frequency range the directivity width is? For example, does wide directivity above 10khz matter? Why's there no specific measure for directivity width other than eye-balling off-axis graphs?

One thing I've noticed: The directivity of some of the panel speakers seems to be much wider than most speakers, for example, the MG3.6(and probably later versions) has even wider directivity than the Salon 2 and it goes all the way up the frequency range, although it is not even. Perhaps this contributes to the sense of spaciousness people get from these types of speakers. That doesn't necessarily extend to every panel speaker, though.

Magnepan 3.6r from Stereophile​

magfig4.jpg

aarons915

Forum Donor
The fact that people prefer wider directivity gets repeated a lot, but I wonder if there are any resources that quantify this in a more direct fashion?

I mean, if it was simply the widest directivity that wins(presuming no major frequency response issues), surely the best speaker would be an omni, right? But those seem to be a really niche design(except for their use as mono wireless speakers, I suppose). So what are the widest directivity speakers that also measure well? The Salon 2 comes up often, but it's wildly expensive, heavy, and bulky. Are there alternatives?

Can your directivity get "too wide"? Does it matter at what frequency range the directivity width is? For example, does wide directivity above 10khz matter? Why's there no specific measure for directivity width other than eye-balling off-axis graphs?

The widest directivity speakers you can get have the RAAL 64-10 in them, check the Audioholics BMR review to see that. I actually had that speaker in my room awhile back and I thought they were a bit bright but no one really agrees so it's possible that my small room. I also listened to the KEF Reference one recently and was blown away by how good they sounded, they are a much more controlled directivity design but they didn't sound like that to my ears so I don't know what to think. To date the Salon 2 and Reference one are the only 2 speakers that have wowed me in a showroom and they are quite different in their dispersion patterns.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

One thing I've noticed: The directivity of some of the panel speakers seems to be much wider than most speakers, for example, the MG3.6(and probably later versions) has even wider directivity than the Salon 2 and it goes all the way up the frequency range, although it is not even. Perhaps this contributes to the sense of spaciousness people get from these types of speakers. That doesn't necessarily extend to every panel speaker, though.

Magnepan 3.6r from Stereophile​

magfig4.jpg

I agree with your reservations, and I should qualify my statements about directivity as primarily talking about monopoles. One problem is there are very few omnis and even fewer measurements.

As for frequency and directivity, I shared this image from Dr Toole's book in another thread:

Screenshot_20200203-121415.jpg

The chart is in a section about room acoustics, but it should apply to speakers too. Directivity in the low mids and bass can affect "envelopment" but the vast majority of modern speakers have similar directivity in the bass region, so I don't pay much attention there. 1K to 10K is generally what I prioritize.

The widest directivity speakers you can get have the RAAL 64-10 in them, check the Audioholics BMR review to see that. I actually had that speaker in my room awhile back and I thought they were a bit bright but no one really agrees so it's possible that my small room. I also listened to the KEF Reference one recently and was blown away by how good they sounded, they are a much more controlled directivity design but they didn't sound like that to my ears so I don't know what to think. To date the Salon 2 and Reference one are the only 2 speakers that have wowed me in a showroom and they are quite different in their dispersion patterns.

One thing in favor of the narrower directivity camp is that you can significantly affect the "wideness" of the sound with toe in. On-axis will be narrowest, but pointed straight out they might not be that different from wider speakers(albeit with a smaller sweet spot). Then there is extreme toe-in, which largely makes up the difference.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Four very different rooms and three very closely rated loudspeakers.

Top Bottom