• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ideal configuration for 2.2 Stereo setup with Purifi amp, F226Be, & Topping D90?

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

Hello all,

I have been racking my brain on the ideal configuration for my 2.2 setup. For some reason I am not sure of, I want to have a balanced connection from the dac to the sub to the amp to the speakers. (Please steer me a different direction if this is unnecessary). To accomplish this, would I need a sub with balanced XLR output and input to have the low frequencies played on the sub and not the speakers?

If the above configuration is ideal, are there any other subs that have this option besides the Rythmik F12SE with with the upgrade to A370XLR2? (Gives the F12 XLR input and output.) My speakers are white so the white finish is initially what drew me to them.

I currently have dual SB-2000's but thinking I need to sell them using the unbalanced outs from the D90 would not be ideal configuration for stereo 2.2?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have any balanced connections, and my speakers and subs are absolutely dead silent with no audible noise. So, for me, unbalanced is 100% as ideal as balanced, since it makes no difference. I'm basing this on the assumption that the main *potential* benefit of balanced is lower noise. But if there is already no audible noise, balanced holds no advantage.

More importantly, I would make sure that you have proper bass management and eq.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain on the ideal configuration for my 2.2 setup. For some reason I am not sure of, I want to have a balanced connection from the dac to the sub to the amp to the speakers. (Please steer me a different direction if this is unnecessary). To accomplish this, would I need a sub with balanced XLR output and input to have the low frequencies played on the sub and not the speakers?

If the above configuration is ideal, are there any other subs that have this option besides the Rythmik F12SE with with the upgrade to A370XLR2? (Gives the F12 XLR input and output.) My speakers are white so the white finish is initially what drew me to them.

I currently have dual SB-2000's but thinking I need to sell them using the unbalanced outs from the D90 would not be ideal configuration for stereo 2.2?
I hardly think there would be a huge difference in the performance of the Rhythmik's vs the SB2000s, and the fact that the SVS's are unbalanced inputs should also matter not at all. You would do better to buy a mini DSP Shd studio, and use it as an electronic crossover with Dirac processing to the D90 and the SB2000s. Better interface, better xover, 10 band parametric eq, and keeps the superior DAC to the 226s, and let's you keep the balance chain to the Purifi's.

Perfect piece to finalize a truly endgame caliber system.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

I hardly think there would be a huge difference in the performance of the Rhythmik's vs the SB2000s, and the fact that the SVS's are unbalanced inputs should also matter not at all. You would do better to buy a mini DSP Shd studio, and use it as an electronic crossover with Dirac processing to the D90 and the SB2000s. Better interface, better xover, 10 band parametric eq, and keeps the superior DAC to the 226s, and let's you keep the balance chain to the Purifi's.

Perfect piece to finalize a truly endgame caliber system.

I was originally targeting the Minidsp SHD but bought the topping D90 last week. Would you recommend returning the D90 and getting the SHD instead of the Studio?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was originally targeting the Minidsp SHD but bought the topping D90 last week. Would you recommend returning the D90 and getting the SHD instead of the Studio?
No the SHD Studio is the SHD without the DACs, it allows you to use the electronic crossover, eq, and Dirac on the SHD, and pass the digital signal to the D90 DAC. You'll need a cheap dac for the SB2000s, but any old DAC will do for the the bass (you probably have one lying around the house, or go buy one on EBAY for l.t. $100). You can keep the superb perforance of the D90 for the midrange and treble where it counts, and have the superior crossover interface of the SHD which will also function as the master volume control. The mini DSP has a much more versatile crossover than is in either the SB2000s (I know, b/c I have owned an SB2000 for 3 yrs), or i'm certain the Rhythmiks. Especially important is the high pass will be better handled by the miniDSP. Personally, I'd start with a L-R 24db octave for both high and low pass, and take a look on REW with how well that works. After you get the FR relatively smooth, do Dirac over the top as your finishing touch.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

No the SHD Studio is the SHD without the DACs, it allows you to use the electronic crossover, eq, and Dirac on the SHD, and pass the digital signal to the D90 DAC. You'll need a cheap dac for the SB2000s, but any old DAC will do for the the bass (you probably have one lying around the house, or go buy one on EBAY for l.t. $100). You can keep the superb perforance of the D90 for the midrange and treble where it counts, and have the superior crossover interface of the SHD which will also function as the master volume control. The mini DSP has a much more versatile crossover than is in either the SB2000s (I know, b/c I have owned an SB2000 for 3 yrs), or i'm certain the Rhythmiks. Especially important is the high pass will be better handled by the miniDSP. Personally, I'd start with a L-R 24db octave for both high and low pass, and take a look on REW with how well that works. After you get the FR relatively smooth, do Dirac over the top as your finishing touch.

You think the D90 DAC performance is that much better than the SHD? It seems to be only 10DB better. I am having a hard time justifying not just using the MiniDSP SHD and saving $600 and returning the D90.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You think the D90 DAC performance is that much better than the SHD? It seems to be only 10DB better. I am having a hard time justifying not just using the MiniDSP SHD and saving $600 and returning the D90.

There'll be absolutely zero audible difference between the SHD and the D90. I would return the latter if I were you, and use the DACs in the SHD. Their performance is orders of magnitude beyond human hearing.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

There'll be absolutely zero audible difference between the SHD and the D90. I would return the latter if I were you, and use the DACs in the SHD. Their performance is orders of magnitude beyond human hearing.

That is what I am starting to realize already. The only thing that sucks about the SHD is there is no 12V trigger.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think you could return the D90 without taking a loss. If you buy the SHD Studio, you would also be able to use their AES/EBU outputs for an ultra high quality active speaker like the Kii 3, D & D 8Cs, or Genelec 8351s if you should decide you want to go that way. Probably right the performance differential would be inaudible (between the D90 and the SHD), but so may the difference between the 2 x 4 HD and the SHD, for that matter. BTW, the SHD Studio is around $300 cheaper than the SHD, so the difference may be closer to $300, not counting however much you're dinged for returning the D90.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

I don't think you could return the D90 without taking a loss. If you buy the SHD Studio, you would also be able to use their AES/EBU outputs for an ultra high quality active speaker like the Kii 3, D & D 8Cs, or Genelec 8351s if you should decide you want to go that way. Probably right the performance differential would be inaudible (between the D90 and the SHD), but so may the difference between the 2 x 4 HD and the SHD, for that matter. BTW, the SHD Studio is around $300 cheaper than the SHD, so the difference may be closer to $300, not counting however much you're dinged for returning the D90.

Dinged $0 for returning the Topping D90. Apos FTW. The thing that I am really debating is the lack of 12V power on/off feature. I am reading that the amp is essentially fully powered without a 12V trigger option. Is there any easy solution for the Minidsp SHD to have a functional 12V feature or anyway for me to get the crossover/direc features with the D90 so I can retain the 12V functionality?

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

Dinged $0 for returning the Topping D90. Apos FTW. The thing that I am really debating is the lack of 12V power on/off feature. I am reading that the amp is essentially fully powered without a 12V trigger option. Is there any easy solution for the Minidsp SHD to have a functional 12V feature or anyway for me to get the crossover/direc features with the D90 so I can retain the 12V functionality?

I am curious if the forum thinks something like this would work with the Minidsp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QS89MZG/. Essentially have the Minidsp send signal to this device which would power then hit the 12V trigger for my amp?

Bear123

I'm not sure I see the market for a $1200 miniDSP SHD that is limited to 2 channels, when for $799, one could get the Denon 3600, which in real life will be as audibly transparent as anything else and provide much greater functionality. I have a hard time believing Dirac is *that* superior to XT32, especially using the phone app. Want to add a center channel someday? No problem. Want zone 2? Covered.

Mike-48

Well, you need either two two-channel DACs (such as the ones included in the SHD) and digital crossovers or two channels of DAC and analog crossovers. Marchand makes some, for example this one, but their crossover costs almost as much as the SHD (preamp model). As analog crossovers go, I suspect it would do a better job than a crossover in a sub, but that's just a guess.

I like digital crossovers and would use the SHD with the stereo amp of my choice.

But I've never cared about 12v trigger. If that's critical to you, you might need to go another direction.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

Well, you need either two two-channel DACs (such as the ones included in the SHD) or two channels of DAC and analog crossovers. Marchand makes some, for example this one, but their crossover costs almost as much as the SHD (preamp model). I suspect it will do a better job than the crossovers in the subs, but that's just I guess. I like digital crossovers and would use the SHD with the stereo amp of my choice.

But I've never cared about 12v trigger. If that's critical to you, you might need to go another direction.

I think it is because the amp I am buying is a Purifi module with no remote. I basically would have to manually flip the switch on and off for every listening session and I sproadically listen to music for sometimes 5 minutes or 2 hours and if alcohol is involved I will never remember to turn it off lol.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

I'm not sure I see the market for a $1200 miniDSP SHD that is limited to 2 channels, when for $799, one could get the Denon 3600, which in real life will be as audibly transparent as anything else and provide much greater functionality. I have a hard time believing Dirac is *that* superior to XT32, especially using the phone app. Want to add a center channel someday? No problem. Want zone 2? Covered.

The main issue for me with a denon is that my speakers will need much more power for the dynamic range at my listening levels. I strongly considered Denon as an interim solution but I think I would rather just invest in a better dac + amp combo to drive my expensive speakers to their absolute potential. The matching center channel is $4500.. more than I paid for the left and right speakers combined. I just dont really see myself buying the center channel any time in the next few years..

Mike-48

I think it is because the amp I am buying is a Purifi module with no remote. I basically would have to manually flip the switch on and off for every listening session and I sproadically listen to music for sometimes 5 minutes or 2 hours and if alcohol is involved I will never remember to turn it off lol.

Turn it on when you first listen, turn if off before you go to bed. If you forget, it will draw next to no power and it won't harm the electronics, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about leaving it on overnight. Not like leaving the needle on the record and the TT running -- I remember my youth.

Which PuriFi amp?

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

Turn it on when you first listen, turn if off before you go to bed. If you forget, it will draw next to no power and it won't harm the electronics, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about leaving it on overnight. Not like leaving the needle on the record and the TT running -- I remember my youth.

Which PuriFi amp?

Mike, I am going with the VTV Purifi iteration. The maker confirmed that without the 12v trigger the amp is full powered so it would be drawing full power while on without the 12v trigger. With the 12v trigger, it goes into standby when there is no 12v signal.

Bear123

The main issue for me with a denon is that my speakers will need much more power for the dynamic range at my listening levels. I strongly considered Denon as an interim solution but I think I would rather just invest in a better dac + amp combo to drive my expensive speakers to their absolute potential.

Mm, too bad its so difficult to find stereo gear that has the fidelity potential of budget AVR's i.e. bass management, dual sub outs, good room correction for speakers and subs, modern connectivity etc.

With a great amp like Purifi and only 2 channels needed, it seems counterintuitive to use something like a Denon AVR, even though it will provide an audibly transparent signal and everything else needed for high fidelity and basic functionality. One has to jump through hoops to figure out some sort of complicated, cobbled together solution.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Purifi Eval 1, and I've never worried about a 12v trigger. Because it's Class D, it's only drawing power through the circuits when there's signal. It consumes next to no power, and runs cool. You could leave it on for years, draw no power, and the amp would be none the worse for wear. If you want to turn it off nonetheless, consider a smart plug like the Gosund which can become part of your smart house through Alexa. They're 5 for $25 on Amazon. I use them to power my Purifi off and on, and I can tell Alexa to do it, or you could probably just program an Alexa skill that shuts the amp off every night at a certain time.

OP

4FvqL^JQ5ZBE*

I have the Purifi Eval 1, and I've never worried about a 12v trigger. Because it's Class D, it's only drawing power through the circuits when there's signal. It consumes next to no power, and runs cool. You could leave it on for years, draw no power, and the amp would be none the worse for wear. If you want to turn it off nonetheless, consider a smart plug like the Gosund which can become part of your smart house through Alexa. They're 5 for $25 on Amazon. I use them to power my Purifi off and on, and I can tell Alexa to do it, or you could probably just program an Alexa skill that shuts the amp off every night at a certain time.

VTV told me that the amp runs at full power in his configuration without a 12v trigger, i.e. there is no standby mode. I assumed full power means that maximum current but you are saying that if there there is no music input, then it will not be drawing full power?

Hmm well my obsession with this lack of 12v seems to be an outlier in this thread. I have never had any of this stuff in practice so it could just be the theorhetical situation being imagined way different than the reality of when I get it. Do you need a separate Alexa device or can it just be with an app from a smart phone? I really do not want a hot mic connected to the internet running in my house (other than my phone.)

Top Bottom