• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Icepower 700AS1 Red LED Stays On After Power-off

mengfpoliver

I built 2 mono amplifiers using Icepower 700as1. They work well but there is a small issue. After about 13 minutes without any input signal, it goes into standby mode from operation and the red LED is on. Then if you turn off the AC power, the red LED keeps on for about 2 minutes. I know capacitors need some time to be discharged but this is still a little bit annoying, because it looks like the power is still on. Is there any simple and safe way to solve this issue? Or to make the LED fade out sooner?

kiwifi

I built 2 mono amplifiers using Icepower 700as1. They work well but there is a small issue. After about 13 minutes without any input signal, it goes into standby mode from operation and the red LED is on. Then if you turn off the AC power, the red LED keeps on for about 2 minutes. I know capacitors need some time to be discharged but this is still a little bit annoying, because it looks like the power is still on. Is there any simple and safe way to solve this issue? Or to make the LED fade out sooner?
I have the same amp. If the power is turned off while the amp is enabled then the enable LED turns off quite quickly, if the amp is disabled it takes much longer, presumably because the power supply capacitors cannot discharge through the load (speaker) when the amplifier section is disabled.

If it bothers you, can fit a switch to the enable pin rather than using the auto on/off feature.

OP
M

mengfpoliver

I have the same amp. If the power is turned off while the amp is enabled then the enable LED turns off quite quickly, if the amp is disabled it takes much longer, presumably because the power supply capacitors cannot discharge through the load (speaker) when the amplifier section is disabled.

If it bothers you, can fit a switch to the enable pin rather than using the auto on/off feature.
Yes, exactly as you described. Anyway it's not a big issue. Thanks.

kiwifi

Yes, exactly as you described. Anyway it's not a big issue. Thanks.
No worries!

Do you find that the heatsinks on the 700AS1 get quite hot? I ended up adding an additional heatsink to my build.
IMG_20220107_154607_095.jpgIMG_20220107_155034_837.jpg

OP
M

mengfpoliver

No worries!

Do you find that the heatsinks on the 700AS1 get quite hot? I ended up adding an additional heatsink to my build.
View attachment 180303View attachment 180304
I mounted the 700as1 as top side down, with the heatsinks directly against the bottom of the metal box. Please see datasheet page 39 for details. As a result the working temperature is similar to human body temperature.

Attachments

• 20220114_191849.jpg
    20220114_191849.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 174

kiwifi

I mounted the 700as1 as top side down, with the heatsinks directly against the bottom of the metal box. Please see datasheet page 39 for details. As a result the working temperature is similar to human body temperature.
I considered doing that but ridges on the inside of my case made that difficult, so I went with the makeshift heatsink. It seems to work well. There are ventilation holes in the bottom of the case under the pcb and at the top of each end plate.

audio2design

Major Contributor

You could make a circuit that discharges the capacitors quickly when the AC is removed but you will need to tie right into the incoming AC and prototype something.

OP
M

mengfpoliver

You could make a circuit that discharges the capacitors quickly when the AC is removed but you will need to tie right into the incoming AC and prototype something.
Thanks. Yes, it's possible to link some discharging switch together with the AC switch. I'm afraid that could make things too complicated.

Top Bottom