• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEpower 300A2, 400A2 and 1500S announced

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally ICEpower is expanding the use of its ICEedge chip to other modules other than the 1200AS. They went with separate amplifier boards (300A2, 400A2) and a separate power supply (1500S).

Still the 400A2 distortion is kind of disappointing.

A400.jpg

300A2 Features:
2 channel 300 W @ 1 % THD+N, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 4 W or
1 channel 600 W @ 1 % THD+N, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 8 W
123.5 dB(A) dynamic range SE
127 dB(A) dynamic range BTL
THD+N = 0.0008 % @ 10 W (4 W, 100 Hz) SE
Load independent frequency response
<25uVrms A-weighted idle noise SE
<35uVrms A-weighted idle noise BTL
https://icepower.dk/buy/as-series/300a2/

400A2 Features:
2 channel 400 W @ 1 % THD+N, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 4 W or
1 channel 800 W @ 1 % THD+N, 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 8 W
121.5 dB(A) dynamic range SE
124.5 dB(A) dynamic range BTL
THD+N = 0.001 % @ 10 W (4 W, 100 Hz) SE
Load independent frequency response
<34uVrms A-weighted idle noise SE
<48uVrms A-weighted idle noise
https://icepower.dk/buy/as-series/400a2/

1500S Features:
1500 W output power
2400 W peak output power
92% maximum efficiency
85 – 264 VAC PFC power supply
9V digital auxiliary supply with 6A supply current
Available in 47V, 57V and 69V configurations
https://icepower.dk/buy/power-supplies/1500s/

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

beren777

I guess the question becomes, is the differing distortion over frequency audible?

ctbarker32

I jumped on the 400A2 and to my surprise it arrived today. I have built Icepower kits in the past with Ghent audio cases.

I was going to retrofit an existing Ghent 200asc build with the 400A2 to test it out. The 400A2 is incredibly small.

I did get the wiring kit as well from IcePower.

I am looking over the documentation and wiring harness. I've got several questions.

The Docs say that P3, input connector, has pin 1 on the left. But the silk screen on the actual board clearly has a pin 1 on the right. Also, the included input wiring harness has the black wire on the right which would be the shield (XLR Pin 1). Also, according to the wiring harness it appears that the white wire is Plus (+) and Red is Neg (-). In past buids Red has usually been the Positive (Pin 2 XLR) hot connection? Should I go with the actual board silkscreen and wiring harness and ignore the revesal in the docs?

Also, the AC power input is a three-pin connector. My previous Icepower builds had only a two pin connector?

If anyone cares to read the datasheet you can do so here: Icepower 400A2 datasheet.

ctbarker32

I jumped on the 400A2 and to my surprise it arrived today. I have built Icepower kits in the past with Ghent audio cases.

I was going to retrofit an existing Ghent 200asc build with the 400A2 to test it out. The 400A2 is incredibly small.

I did get the wiring kit as well from IcePower.

I am looking over the documentation and wiring harness. I've got several questions.

The Docs say that P3, input connector, has pin 1 on the left. But the silk screen on the actual board clearly has a pin 1 on the right. Also, the included input wiring harness has the black wire on the right which would be the shield (XLR Pin 1). Also, according to the wiring harness it appears that the white wire is Plus (+) and Red is Neg (-). In past buids Red has usually been the Positive (Pin 2 XLR) hot connection? Should I go with the actual board silkscreen and wiring harness and ignore the revesal in the docs?

Also, the AC power input is a three-pin connector. My previous Icepower builds had only a two pin connector?

If anyone cares to read the datasheet you can do so here: Icepower 400A2 datasheet.
I goofed up. I didn't realize I would need the 1500s power supply. The Icepower site doesn't make this obvious. Especially since most Icepower products have had integrated power supplies. Not sure I will spend another $500 for the PSU since I have questiions about hookup. Too bad.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's right there in the datasheet and even in the product name:
A - amplifier.
S - supply.
AS - amplifier + supply.
Number - number of channels.
X - bridgeable.

ctbarker32

It's right there in the datasheet and even in the product name:
A - amplifier.
S - supply.
AS - amplifier + supply.
Number - number of channels.
X - bridgeable.
Yes, thank you for reminding me. :( I messed up. As I said, typically when I think Icepower I think integrated power supply.

JaredRad

Forum Donor
I wonder if any of the hypex PSUs available on diyclassd.com would match up with any of these. They’re a good deal less expensive, and I’d imagine would be of high enough quality.

ctbarker32

I wonder if any of the hypex PSUs available on diyclassd.com would match up with any of these. They’re a good deal less expensive, and I’d imagine would be of high enough quality.
It seems plausible on the surface. Something to research. Thanks.

texcor

I have a 300A2 card, It would be interesting to make it work with a low-cost power supply.
Obviously it will be less stable, protectless and more noisy..

According to the doc, so there are two ways to supply it.
- symmetrical high current power supply (+/- 35 to 60VDC) + symmetrical low current power supply (+/- 11 to 14VDC) + Vdrive (+12 to 17)
- symmetrical high current power supply (+/- 35 to 60VDC) + symmetrical low current power supply (+/- 4.5 to 5.5VDC) + Vdrive (+12 to 17)

Vdrive is referring to VS (wich is negative 35 to 60VDC)

Anybody know what does it mean?

ctbarker32

I have a 300A2 card, It would be interesting to make it work with a low-cost power supply.
Obviously it will be less stable, protectless and more noisy..

According to the doc, so there are two ways to supply it.
- symmetrical high current power supply (+/- 35 to 60VDC) + symmetrical low current power supply (+/- 11 to 14VDC) + Vdrive (+12 to 17)
- symmetrical high current power supply (+/- 35 to 60VDC) + symmetrical low current power supply (+/- 4.5 to 5.5VDC) + Vdrive (+12 to 17)

Vdrive is referring to VS (wich is negative 35 to 60VDC)

Anybody know what does it mean?
Just freewheeling, could you power this with an external "laptop" PSU like some of the chip based Class D amps use? Might be an intresting experiment. I guess the lower voltage PSU will limit the ultimate output watts seen at the speaker?

texcor

Just freewheeling, could you power this with an external "laptop" PSU like some of the chip based Class D amps use? Might be an intresting experiment. I guess the lower voltage PSU will limit the ultimate output watts seen at the speaker?

It seems there's logic control, amplifier need a complex PSU design

All power lines should be connected before powering the ICEpower300A2. First VD/VS and VDD/VSS then Vdrive. After all power supplies are applied to the 300A2, the module will read the control inputs and start operating accordingly. If the module controls are left unconnected, the module will start normal operation without further action.

Yes like all class d, the current voltage has an influence on the output power.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-19 à 18.20.04.png

Without having read the documentation correctly, I tried with a Connexelectronic SMPS240R power supply, nothing happened.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
It seems there's logic control, amplifier need a complex PSU design

Yes like all class d, the current voltage has an influence on the output power.

View attachment 124995

Without having read the documentation correctly, I tried with a Connexelectronic SMPS240R power supply, nothing happened.
Welcome Aboard @texcor.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thank's

Is Pascal audio related to IcePower?
300A2/400A2 looks similar to U-PRO2SD, same pcb structure, power supply requirement with unusual "vdrive" referring to negative voltage and same thd curves

View attachment 125117
I think Pascal was founded by ex employees from Icepower or something.

texcor

I think Pascal was founded by ex employees from Icepower or something.
so, that make sense..

I have in stock a low-cost ~30$ PSU with +/- 55VDC, +/- 12VDC and auxiliary 12VDC power supply.
The two symmetrical secondaries have a common ground.

Seems perfect to substitute a 1500S-57, but I must provide a 12VDC referenced to -55VDC in order to supply the Vdrive.
Someone qualified to put me on the right path?

Tobi F.

Hello everybody

is there now a clear understanding about that VDR voltage ?
It seems to be 15V higher, than the lowest VSS negative Power.
Does it need to be regulated (-> = is the quality of the voltage relevant for audio quality )

Where did you receive the 300A2 module ?
Icepower.dk doesn't send to private person.

Best Regards
Tobias

Tobi F.

I would reply to myself,
An isolated DCDC converter to 15V should work.
GND of DCDC will be set to -VS
Input of DCDC is GND of powersupply, so it should be able to handle 60-70V at the input.
Then the output is 15V higher than -VS independently of the real -VS voltage.
And VDR is regulated.

So I'm still trying to find out, where to geht these modules.

By the way, also the Hypex UCD400OEM would be on my list.
And would like to avoid to plunder an IMG stageline STA-800D

Best Regards
Toby

Top Bottom