• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

maltux

I just finished the 200ASC & 200AC, from parts express, using the ghent audio case and cables. It is replacing my Rotel RB981 (130 wrms @8 ohms) Power amp. I am very happy with results. I am finishing off part 1 of the video very soon.

35B56AB5-6BC5-49B6-B472-B0495A2BEB2B_1_201_a.jpeg

153A6AF4-295A-47F5-B99C-B80FD7ACBF47_1_201_a.jpeg

I just started a new thread in the DIY forum to not take away from the original thread.

Last edited:

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does someone know where to get genuine models in Europe?

hyperknot

Does someone know where to get genuine models in Europe?

I paid shipping + import duties + VAT for the Vocopro amp when it was reduced to $94.

Price $94.05
Shipping $52.20
Import charges $36.50
Total charged $182.75

Still cheaper than the module alone from the UK!

Daniellu

I received my 125ASX2 yesterday, and it took me more than an hour to build it. I listened my favorite albums today. I felt the sound quality can't not be judged by the first a few hours of listening. I like it better today!
after reading the threads, my amp board has BLACK capacitors, unfortunately, the quality of manufacturing is not the best. But impressively I like the sound, I discovered the extremely low /none noise when no signal, this is better than my hypex NC400, although NC400 is good enough. I really don't care about it's fake or not , just another project after my NC400.
My only question is , the one of the 2 large black capacitors, the one close to the AC input, can get really hot after playing a while. I can't rest my finger on it, the actual temperature was 45 C degree,when the case is open , and 56 c degree when it's closed. I read somewhere , it was said these capacitors can tolerate as long as less than 60 degree. I feel the heating of the capacitor is not very healthy. I would like to know what you think and how is your amp (12ASX2) thanks.

JamesC

Adorama still has stock:
https://www.adorama.com/vpfampfa500.html

So if you want a 100% genuine module + a case + binding posts for free, buy this amp. But be aware, you need to remove all the non-Vocopro electronics, or just use the module and put it in a Ghent case, as the Vocopro parts are really bad.
Adorama just shipped mine out today. On the website they have it now listed as "This item is no longer available." Looks like I got the last one.

MrPotatoHead

Adorama just shipped mine out today. On the website they have it now listed as "This item is no longer available." Looks like I got the last one.

I ordered one this morning so maybe I ordered the last one!

My ebay seller wouldn't confirm nor deny the authenticity of my ICEPower module so I am returning it. She/he offered a $50 discount if I'd keep it which was generous but I'd rather have the real deal.

MrPotatoHead

Okay, I bought the Vocopro amp from Adorama and just pulled the board out of the case... and it looks identical to the one I bought on ebay that I suspected was a fake - no fct stamp, black caps, etc. Aargh.

hyperknot

Okay, I bought the Vocopro amp from Adorama and just pulled the board out of the case... and it looks identical to the one I bought on ebay that I suspected was a fake - no fct stamp, black caps, etc. Aargh.

That's interesting, then the eBay one might not have been fake.

Reactions: wje

MrPotatoHead

Exactly. And he offered me $50 off to boot. It's been a big hassle and now I feel badly for the guy.

JamesC

I recieved the Vocopro from Adorama today too. Its does look like the one I got from China however there is some small board layout changes. It might be just a rev change. I swapped the board into the ghentaudio case and it worked great. I am happy with the sound and it will make a home in my den connected to Audioengine HDP6 bookshelf speakers with an Audioengine D1 DAC. The DAC is fed from an Allo USBridge Pi running ropieee to my roon core. The amp is replacing an Audioengine N22 which was too underpowered for the HDP6s. The D1 is going to be replaced with a Topping D90 soon.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering the calyx femti uses icepower modules and cost retail $1950. Do you think is Worth it?

here are some measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1011
I own 3 of them. It has the module inside and a custom board for the inputs, and a beautiful chassis with their logo CNC machined into it etc. They were expensive when new, nowadays they are sold a lot cheaper used. I like them, up to you to decide if the price increase is worth it.

By the way Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 v2, ST-500 mk.2 and mAMP amplifiers are also based on 125ASX2.

Last edited:

wje

Forum Donor
Ha anyone seen the 250asx modules somewhere online ?

The pre-assembled kits with the 250asx modules seem to be priced at about $999. You could buy 2 VocoPro VP-300 amps @ $330, run them in bridged mode for 300 watts @ 8 Ohms. Granted, you'd have 2 boxes/cases, but the price would be a little better price. In comparison, the NAD M22 v.2 runs $3,299, providing 300 watts per channel. Performance would be the same/similar.

mslim

Just want to add some information because I have been looking at the IcePower 125SAX modules on Aliexpress/eBay as well. Also looking at the pictures in the Official icepower site.

1) the brown caps on the module are SE models while the black caps are BTL

2) look at the boards - the BTL is missing a speaker connector for one of the channels. This is mentioned in the spec sheet.

3) Most modules on Aliexpress are BTL. Some sellers mention it, some don’t.

I actually have a question: if I use 2x the 125ASX BTL modules to make monoblocks, do I need the RTX module from Ghent?? I saw some pictures on the net where the guy did it without the RTX.

mslim

From the net. Looks like using the BTL module (missing 1 connector) but not using the RTX module from GhentAudio.

Attachments

• EA45B866-DE1D-4D58-B8EF-7C5533082864.jpeg
    EA45B866-DE1D-4D58-B8EF-7C5533082864.jpeg
    888.6 KB · Views: 1,303

hyperknot

I don't get it, isn't the data sheet saying that there is only SE / BTL splitting on the 50W level?

125 should be only one model.

Top Bottom