• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MrPotatoHead

Your module if a fake Chinese clown.

Do you know that from the photograph or are you guessing from @JamesC's experience? I'm asking because I have one in bubble wrap that looks very similar to his that I bought on ebay (high seller feedback score) - maybe from the same dude.

@JamesC, I'd be curious to see how ebay handles your case if you file a complaint.

EB1000

I plan to buy the ICEpower 200ASC plus 200AC pair from PartsExpress, but they do not carry the 125AXS2

200ASC is an old and discontinued module. It was replaced by the 200AS1 in 2018.

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/as-series/

It is only available from profusionplc if you first register as a company. But since it is a mono amp, I'd recommend using two 125ASX2 in BTL and use Ghent's RTX phase splitter. The 125ASX2 in BTL will outperform the 200AS1. ICEPower's best module is the 700AS1 (400$ per module).

EB1000

Do you know that from the photograph or are you guessing from @JamesC's experience? I'm asking because I have one in bubble wrap that looks very similar to his that I bought on ebay (high seller feedback score) - maybe from the same dude.

@JamesC, I'd be curious to see how ebay handles your case if you file a complaint.

I'm guessing, but if he will post some high res images, I might be able to tell for sure. Again, I've never seen a genuine ICE module that failed, even if you short circuit the speakers output, you're still won't cause any damage, as it is fully protected.

JamesC

I'm guessing, but if he will post some high res images, I might be able to tell for sure. Again, I've never seen a genuine ICE module that failed, even if you short circuit the speakers output, you're still won't cause any damage, as it is fully protected.
Here are photos of the front and back. How can you tell if its a fake?

Attachments

• 20200116_203701_HDR.jpg
    20200116_203701_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 885
  • 20200116_203713.jpg
    20200116_203713.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 970

MrPotatoHead

Here are photos of the front and back.

That is identical to mine, right down to the screen printing. I hope to assemble mine this weekend. Finger crossed...

I have a small barcode sticker that I'm assuming is a S/N (?). Mine is 014141011.

EB1000

Here are photos of the front and back. How can you tell if its a fake?

You modules use a different brand of main DC caps. I've never seen genuine 125ASX modules with black caps before. See the ASX series pictures on ICEPOWER web site:

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/asx-series/

Also, I cant see the FTC approval stamps on your board. Also, the soldering work doesn't look very good. See attached image for a genuine
ICE1.jpg
125ASX2 board, I'm currently assembling for a friend (BTL monoblock).

JamesC

No FCT stamps on mine at all so most likely its a fake. The price was ~160.00 USD and the one from profusion is 245USD plus 50USD shipping to Canada. I am going to try to repair this one before buying from profusion. Does any one know the ohms of the resister by the P100 connector?

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
200ASC is an old and discontinued module. It was replaced by the 200AS1 in 2018.

That's interesting, because Ghent Audio (China) still sells cases for the 200ASC plus 200AC, and Parts Express (USA) and other legitimate DIY supply retailers still sell the modules. So there is either a lot of inventory to clear out, or they are continuing to make the modules, but not promoting them.

The 200ASC and 200 AS seem to be well-regarded, and I already have a new Ghent case and wiring harnesses here in a remote region of Western Panama, so I might as well complete the kit for another $200 (the price for the two modules from Parts Express.)

Edit: ICEpower still has the 200ASC and 200AC listed on their website for sale [LINK], so they are obviously not "discontinued."

Last edited:

MrPotatoHead

It's interesting to note that the graphics on @JamesC's and my modules look more like the graphics shown on ICEPower's website than does @EB1000's, likely since there have been 7 versions since 2014. Still, the black caps and no FCT stamp is troubling.

CerealKiller

https://icepower.dk/products/amplifier-power-modules/as-series/

It is only available from profusionplc if you first register as a company. But since it is a mono amp, I'd recommend using two 125ASX2 in BTL and use Ghent's RTX phase splitter. The 125ASX2 in BTL will outperform the 200AS1. ICEPower's best module is the 700AS1 (400$ per module).
Why is it necesary to ad the RTX input bufer when the modules are used in BTL mode? Is it for doubling the input level if feeding an unbalanecd signal? what if the input signal is already balanced and 4V nominal? is RTX module still necesary? and lastly (and my bigest doubt yet) I see in Genth website that the case they sell for the 200ASC mono or the 200ASC+ 200AC dual mono has balanced input conections. Lets say you feed via and adapter cable, (not trough an RTX doubler) an unbalanced signal that is 2V nominal amplitude, will it be able to drive the amps to max output?? or is it madatory to feed a larger signal? I know..... those are too manny questions. Sorry for that in advance.

EB1000

Why is it necesary to ad the RTX input bufer when the modules are used in BTL mode? Is it for doubling the input level if feeding an unbalanecd signal? what if the input signal is already balanced and 4V nominal? is RTX module still necesary? and lastly (and my bigest doubt yet) I see in Genth website that the case they sell for the 200ASC mono or the 200ASC+ 200AC dual mono has balanced input conections. Lets say you feed via and adapter cable, (not trough an RTX doubler) an unbalanced signal that is 2V nominal amplitude, will it be able to drive the amps to max output?? or is it madatory to feed a larger signal? I know..... those are too manny questions. Sorry for that in advance.

RTX modules are necessary only when you want to feed the BTL amp with single-ended RCA input signal. If your pre-amp is already balanced, then you don't need the RTX. The RTX modules split the single-ended signal into a balanced signal with +,- and ground, which you feed into the amp. It also provides the BTL synch signal and acts as an input buffer.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Brand and model of the capacitors may change during the product life cycle as far as I know.

hyperknot

Your module if a fake Chinese clown. I've seen many of these cheap 125asx2 and 50asx2 fail or even fry after some time. If you want genuine Icepower, then order them from profusionplc.com

https://www.profusionplc.com/news/i...t-amplifiers-that-excel-on-audio-performance/

I've built many DIY amps for many friends using the 125ASX2 and the 50ASX2, NEVER had any complaint! Never buy crap from eBay or Aliexpress

Also, I don't know if the 125ASX2 modules Amirm reviewed here were also from eBay, but I'm willing to bet that your gonna see a major performance difference between genuine Ice and fake Chinese Ice.

@EB1000 yes, there was a big performance difference between the Yamaha WXA-50 and the DIY build he tested. My conclusion is that it's because the DIY used cheap eBay modules. BTW, the best way to source genuine ones is to buy the Vocopro Featheramp in one of the saleout deals.

CerealKiller

RTX modules are necessary only when you want to feed the BTL amp with single-ended RCA input signal. If your pre-amp is already balanced, then you don't need the RTX. The RTX modules split the single-ended signal into a balanced signal with +,- and ground, which you feed into the amp. It also provides the BTL synch signal and acts as an input buffer.
Ok thanks, do rtx modules have dual input for SE and Balanced?

hyperknot

Adorama still has stock:
https://www.adorama.com/vpfampfa500.html

So if you want a 100% genuine module + a case + binding posts for free, buy this amp. But be aware, you need to remove all the non-Vocopro electronics, or just use the module and put it in a Ghent case, as the Vocopro parts are really bad.

Top Bottom