• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IcePower 1000ASP amplifier

santrik

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice regarding amplification.

Does anybody have any input on the datasheet for this ASP1000 amplifier from IcePower?

Download link to the .pdf directly from their website, or go to this and scroll all the way down to the 1000ASP

Why I'm asking is because I'm standing at a crossing in choosing two Hypex NC400-modules or two of these 1000ASP.

I've been searching around the web but can't find anything reliable except for Icepowers own .pdf

Today I have the SMSL M500 DAC, to it for the moment is a CCA and a TV connected via the two optical inputs. In the future I'm planning for ROON but for the moment all the money goes to amplification.

eorange

I purchased a pair of Wyred 4 Sound SX1000-R mono blocks that use the ICE ASP modules. I have had them for 2 years and they are superb. The system consists of Magnaplana MGIIIa speakers, Velodyne S1200 subwoofer, Schiit YggdrasII DAC, Schiit Freya+ preamp, and Emotiva ERC CD player. I was very pleased with the SX1000-R's performance and acoustics especially with classical music.

My only complain was that the midrange was not quit as good as the B&K M200 mono blocks that the SX1000-R's replaced. I just did not have as good detail and I did not know if it was the mono blocks or some other component. The B&K M200's were just silky smooth (once they warmed up) and I still love them! Not to mention that I could use them to heat my living room, but that's ok. So I went to Class D with the SX1000-R's.

About 2 months ago I decided to try the Hypex NC400's after reading some very good reviews. The assembly was straight forward and easy. The binding posts were cheap WBT knock offs so I replaced them with genuine WBT's. I hooked them up to the MGIIIa's (after a brief test on a different set of speakers) and WOW! The audio was very comparable to the B&K M200's and the midrange improved dramatically. I am very pleased with the Hypex NC400 mono blocks and my Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000r's are boxed up and ready to be sold on Ebay.

Hope this helps.

ebslo

Forum Donor
Main red flag I see is the output impedance has a steep upward slope above 1kHz; it's 0.3 Ohms at 7kHz giving damping factor re 8 Ohms of only 26 @ 7Khz, and dropping. I would say it is unsuitable for speakers that have very low and/or steeply changing impedance above maybe 3kHz.

Edit: Oops, just realized how old the question was :oops:.

OP
S

santrik

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply!

After some thinking I did go with the Hypex NC400 monoblocks since I couldn't find any useful information/reviews about the ICE ASP-modules. I couldn't be any happier at the moment with these modules. They truly do "it" for me and I'm satisfied.

The only thing I need now is a bigger apartment :)

Top Bottom