• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iBasso DX300 + what closed back headphones?

d0z3y

I decided to treat myself to a new DAC/AMP and headphones to use with my phone to replace my current Sennheiser momentums. This eventually changed into a DAP and I think the DX300 is about the most I would be willing to spend. The problem is what headphones to get. The more I read, the more confused I get, especially as the price keeps escalating and also the shops locally only have a limited range. The reviews and feedback on this forum are great, but due to my lack of experience I do find it hard to translate the reviews in to terms I understand.

I am hoping that with some guidance I can pick a pair that are worth the gamble to buy, and if it turns out disastrously I will either return or sell on.

I listen to a fairly wide range of music but mainly electronic (daft punk etc). Generally from spotify but then some local files and I may give Tidal a go. I mainly listen at night either in bed or whilst my wife is watching TV (hence need closed back headphones). I enjoy hearing the clarity and detail of music but then also like a fair amount of bass.

My current short list is:
Beyerdynamic T5
Audeze LCD2 - Closed Back
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire

When I factor in a balanced cable for the Aeon and LCD2, that does push the price higher than I budgeted.

I am basically now totally confused and so any suggestions would be great!

kami

I’ve been in a similar search to yours and I’m wondering: any reason for not buying the Dan Clark ÆON RT? Amir measured those recently. They don’t require equalization.

The Audeze LCD2C are great headphones, but the “Audeze House sound” is something that in my opinion people should try before buying. I couldn’t do that with my acquisition because of geographical reasons.

From your shortlist, if you don’t have means to audition them, I would buy the Dan Clark’s assuming that “Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire” are tuned similarly to the Dan Clark’s ÆON RT.

@Dan Clark usually writes here in this forum, and he has commented to other people about differences between their models.

I can’t say a lot about Beyerdynamic, I’ve stayed away from them because of their reputation to have undesirable peaks in the treble range.

Also I’m not sure you’re going to need balanced input, however for Dan Clark’s models, I think you can pick an XLR cable as an option without additional cost when you buy them.

KM

Dan Clark

Audio Company
I decided to treat myself to a new DAC/AMP and headphones to use with my phone to replace my current Sennheiser momentums. This eventually changed into a DAP and I think the DX300 is about the most I would be willing to spend. The problem is what headphones to get. The more I read, the more confused I get, especially as the price keeps escalating and also the shops locally only have a limited range. The reviews and feedback on this forum are great, but due to my lack of experience I do find it hard to translate the reviews in to terms I understand.

I am hoping that with some guidance I can pick a pair that are worth the gamble to buy, and if it turns out disastrously I will either return or sell on.

I listen to a fairly wide range of music but mainly electronic (daft punk etc). Generally from spotify but then some local files and I may give Tidal a go. I mainly listen at night either in bed or whilst my wife is watching TV (hence need closed back headphones). I enjoy hearing the clarity and detail of music but then also like a fair amount of bass.

My current short list is:
Beyerdynamic T5
Audeze LCD2 - Closed Back
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire

When I factor in a balanced cable for the Aeon and LCD2, that does push the price higher than I budgeted.

I am basically now totally confused and so any suggestions would be great!

Hi!

FYI there's no extra cost to get an XLR, you just select it or the 1/4"-3.5mm dual tip at checkout.

Top Bottom