• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ibasso dc03

Jet Black

Anyone here tried this usb dac dongle with dual dac cirrus logic cs43131? Is it good for its price? Does it compete in sound quality with the likes of e1da or cobalt butterflies? Can anyone give their own feedback and experience about this dac. Thanks.

Asylum Seeker

Those Dragonfly Cobalt, Red, Black dongles haven't been competitive for years. They were first to market and have been milking that ever since.

OP
Jet Black

Jet Black

Those Dragonfly Cobalt, Red, Black dongles haven't been competitive for years. They were first to market and have been milking that ever since.
So you mean the ibasso dc03 is no different in quality to those butterflys? I thought all the while that they are of totally different beast.

Asylum Seeker

I don't know, but Amir did review an earlier version, the DC01 or DC01 and it wasn't so great. The redeeming quality, though, is that iBasso, unlike Dragonfly, is not asking for no $200 bucks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I was curious about the iBasso DC03, based on Cirrus Logic CS43131 (same as Hidizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro), should be good.

And indeed measurements appear to be so:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/ibasso-ds03.php#gsc.tab=0

2,00 Vrms output full scale and an FFT that is similar to Hidizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

FFT.jpg

So it comes down to price. The iBass DC03 is 50 usd while the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is 40 usd and has physical volume buttons. IMO the Tempotec wins.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

So I was curious about the iBasso DC03, based on Cirrus Logic CS43131 (same as Hidizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro), should be good.

2,00 Vrms output full scale and an FFT that is similar to Hidizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

View attachment 116168

So it comes down to price. The iBass DC03 is 50 usd while the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is 40 usd and has physical volume buttons. IMO the Tempotec wins.
Output impedance?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Jet Black

Jet Black

View attachment 116168

How could tempotec win? Ibasso dc03 uses dual cirrus logic as opposed to a single cirrus logic chip on the tempotec sonata hd. Also tempotec only is dsd128 as opposed to dsd256 on the ibasso dc03. Just my 2 cents

nplvu0908

How could tempotec win? Ibasso dc03 uses dual cirrus logic as opposed to a single cirrus logic chip on the tempotec sonata hd. Also tempotec only is dsd128 as opposed to dsd256 on the ibasso dc03. Just my 2 cents
Tempotec supports dsd256 though

Top Bottom