• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iBasso DC02 USB Phone DAC & Amp Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the iBasso DC02 USB Phone DAC and headphone amplifier adapter. It is kindly sent to me by a local member. The DC02 is quite expensive for a dongle at US $67.50 with Prime shipping in US. It sports an AKM AK4490 DAC chip that implies great performance and support for high resolution audio.

The DC02 is a bit more beefy than a typical phone headphone adapter:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Audio Review.jpg

In person it looks a bit cheaper than the pictures on company website.

In use the dongle gets a bit warmer than ambient temp which is unusual for a dongle.

The DC02 was plug and play on Windows 10 but the ASIO4ALL wrapper (software) that I use to measure it would truncate samples to 16 bits. So for some of the tests I used WASAPI exclusive access on Windows to feed it 24 bit data. That made a tiny bit of improvement so for other tests I used the ASIO interface instead.

USB DAC Dongle Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz tone:

iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Audio Measurements.png

The specification says we would only get 0.9 volt output. Here, we are exceeding that by a bit at 0.97 volts. Alas, this is not high enough to drive high impedance headphones as we will see later.

Distortion and noise as summed in SINAD measurement is not bad but not great either:
Best Audio DAC 2020 Review.png

The $9 Apple dongle does better for example.

Distortion is not an issue as we see in the FFT spectrum with highest spike at -105 dB. It is noise that is the problem and we see that in dynamic range test:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

Jitter test shows the myriad of noise sources:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Jitter Audio Measurements.png

This issue may be system dependent and be worse or better in other setups. A good design however won't have system dependency.

Intermodulation versus level shows the same noise issue:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone IMD Audio Measurements.png

Most important test is how much power we have for different load impedance of headphones. Let's start with 300 ohm load:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Power into 300 Ohm Headphone Audio Measurements.png

As I suspected in the Dashboard view, there just isn't much power available here at just 3 milliwatts. Sadly the same situation persists at the other spectrum at 33 ohm:
iBasso DC02 High Res USB Audio DAC Dongle Phone Power into 33 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

These numbers are very low as compared to other dongles:
Highest Power Phone USB Headphone DAC 300 Ohm.png

Highest Power Phone USB Headphone DAC 33 Ohm.png

Headphone Listening Test
I tested the DC02 with the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. The results were very disappointing. There was hardly enough volume. No bass response to speak of and the sound was dull overall as a result of it.

Conclusions
The iBasso DC02 seems to have focused on DAC chip rather than headphone amplifier for performance. The DAC chip is not the bottleneck: the low power and high noise level of the headphone amp is. They paid so much extra for the DAC chip and are passing on that cost to customers even though no value is provided there. I hope everyone here knows that it is all about implementation than what components are in an audio device.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the iBasso DC02.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Well, for a change, I don't need anything for the panthers as they got a ton of gifts for Christmas. I hope those of you who celebrate had a good time as well. If you feel like donating, here is the link again: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
omg I almost wanted it :O

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The iBasso DC02 seems to have focused on DAC chip rather than headphone amplifier for performance.

They paid so much extra for the DAC chip and are passing on that cost to customers even though no value is provided there. I hope everyone here knows that it is all about implementation

May this statement alone be promoted on the home page... forever?

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Got mine for less than $20 so can't really complain for that price, it's more powerful than my s10+ and doesn't distort at the limit like my phone does. The noise can be slightly audible when nothing is playing but not really a problem in practice since it mutes the output after a few seconds of inactivity. Still, it's disappointing that it didn't meet the specifications since it was specified to have >100 dB SINAD. Anyways, thanks for the great test @amirm

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Hope you get a chance to test the Ztella soon. That has the latest ESS mobile chip with built-in amplifier. Should do up to 2v.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Wasn't there another dongle-type DAC-amp that measured far better than this one?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm If you still have the unit could you please test the output impedance and linearity?
Oops forgot to post the output impedance:
Lowest headphone amplifier output impedance.png

I can't run linearity because ASIO interface is truncating to 16 bits so causes high noise there.

thehun

Didn't Darko recommended this in his "DAP days are over"[or something similar] column?

confucius_zero

Gonna go Meizu on that one.

Top Bottom