• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I2S via HDMI pinout wiring.

L Plate

Attachments

• Opt DSD.jpg
    Opt DSD.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 183
  • SACD DSD.jpg
    SACD DSD.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 175

linger63

mateusfig

I bought one of those black boxes from China and didn't have any luck with it using my Oppo BDP-83 and Topping D90. YMMV
Now it collects dust.
Did you use a customized HDMI cable to try it or a normal one?

I do have a chinese DAC board with ES9028PRO. I want use it along with my Oppo BDP-83 through HDMI. I wish buy one of these chinese board to convert HDMI to I2S.

Which should I pick?

1640220576035.png

1640220591354.png

L Plate

Don't buy this type of box or naked board. You should buy the more expensive version which is DoP using coaxial or optical to play DSD. No hassle. No fumbling with I2S compatibility issue.

L Plate

Did you use a customized HDMI cable to try it or a normal one?

I do have a chinese DAC board with ES9028PRO. I want use it along with my Oppo BDP-83 through HDMI. I wish buy one of these chinese board to convert HDMI to I2S.

Which should I pick?

View attachment 174143

View attachment 174144
Sorry mate. One more thing before you buy DOP capable board. Check that your DAC is DOP compatible. Topping D90 is NOT DoP compatible.

2.82 MHz

Has anyone some real life experience if these hdmi audio de-embedders benefit from a little more serious PSU, like a Topping P50 (I know this is not top of the pops, but likely more serious than your spare phone charger). Thx!

Fench

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sony X800 that I have does not send DOP over coaxial. It sends PCM over its coaxial output.
Anyone who got DOP64 over coaxial/optical, 2CH stereo, from such extractor when playing SACD on a Sony UBP-X800M2?

Last edited:

Michal

Hi
I'm looking for I2S to HDMI ( audio/video ) converter. Could some one help me?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi
I'm looking for I2S to HDMI ( audio/video ) converter. Could some one help me?
What exactly do you want to do with it?
Which devices should be connected?

Roland68

Major Contributor
I would like to connect a player, e.g. SMSL sd-9 from his I2S output to the HDMI input in the receiver
I haven't seen an adapter like this before.
The receivers do not have an input for i2s. The i2s signal would have to be encoded in TMDS (video/audio) so that the receiver can do something with it via HDMI. I don't think that makes sense.
Does something speak against SPDIF? Or AES, if the receiver can do that?

Michal

I haven't seen an adapter like this before.
The receivers do not have an input for i2s. The i2s signal would have to be encoded in TMDS (video/audio) so that the receiver can do something with it via HDMI. I don't think that makes sense.
Does something speak against SPDIF? Or AES, if the receiver can do that?
I just would like to try such a connection because HDMI has a differential signal transmission with a separate clock and I think it will be better than SPDiF.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I just would like to try such a connection because HDMI has a differential signal transmission with a separate clock and I think it will be better than SPDiF.
Which receiver do you have?

Roland68

Major Contributor
JVC RX-D411
Please don't take it amiss if I say it so directly, but save your time and your money.
I've paired over 40 devices with i2s over the past few years. The difference to SPDIF/AES, if it existed at all, was marginal.
In addition, the DACs used with i2s are very complex and the built-in DAC chip is x times more expensive and much more specialized than the DSP all-in-one chip in the receiver.

The i2s signal certainly doesn't get any better when converted to a video signal and I don't think there will be any benefit from that.
It would probably make more sense to charge a Raspberry with a good DAC, e.g. Topping E30 or E30 II via USB.

Michal

Please don't take it amiss if I say it so directly, but save your time and your money.
I've paired over 40 devices with i2s over the past few years. The difference to SPDIF/AES, if it existed at all, was marginal.
In addition, the DACs used with i2s are very complex and the built-in DAC chip is x times more expensive and much more specialized than the DSP all-in-one chip in the receiver.

The i2s signal certainly doesn't get any better when converted to a video signal and I don't think there will be any benefit from that.
It would probably make more sense to charge a Raspberry with a good DAC, e.g. Topping E30 or E30 II via USB.
Earlier I listened smsl sd-9 connected via coax but PC Strawberry Ubuntu connected via HDMI is much better so I would like to try I2S to HDMI. What do you think about smsl sd-9 connection thru special USB to HDMI adapter. Sorry but topping not for me.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Earlier I listened smsl sd-9 connected via coax but PC Strawberry Ubuntu connected via HDMI is much better so I would like to try I2S to HDMI. What do you think about smsl sd-9 connection thru special USB to HDMI adapter. Sorry but topping not for me.
USB to HDMI will not work because you need a driver.

If you say "much better" then there are only 2 possibilities. Either your memory is failing you, or something on one of your devices is defective. Of course, it can also be that the receiver is simply bad via SPDIF. A third possibility would be any different sound settings on your receiver.
It doesn't have to be topping, there are enough excellent DACs in the ASR list. It would be the easiest way to narrow down the problem.

Again, even with excellent equipment (not in terms of price but in terms of sound) you will only be able to guess the differences.
Do a blind test with both devices.

But why not take the Raspberry? You can use USB, HDMI, SPDIF, i2s over HDMI, RCA, XLR etc. as outputs, there are dozens of boards for this and you have an open system with many software options.

Top Bottom