• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I wonder why the gap between Spinorama theory and reality.

iec 60318-4

It has been proven by numerous blind tests that a speaker with a flat response and uniform directivity has a high preference.
However, the reality is that 'hi-fi' speakers with distortion in the response are much more audible than monitoring speakers, and the opinion dominates that monitoring speakers are very boring to hear. I fully support Dr. Toole's theory, but it is very difficult to argue against these opinions whenever there is a fight on the Internet.
If Spinorama had a great speaker that sounded so good in a blind test, wouldn't the audio market already naturally choose a flat speaker, and the distorted speaker should already be abandoned by the industry? The myth that hi-fi is good to hear and monitoring is not fun has created a predominant bias in people that neglects that fact? Or is it a problem due to 'Circle of confusion'?

There may be content or theories that I don't know because I've been buying and reading 'Sound Reproduction' some time ago.

(I am still learning English, so I used a translator. Thank you for your understanding!)

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
However, the reality is that 'hi-fi' speakers with distortion in the response are much more audible than monitoring speakers, and the opinion dominates that monitoring speakers are very boring to hear.

The distinction between monitors and so called Hi Fi speakers continues to blur, at least to me, with more and more using them in their home environment.

I see the difference primarily being aesthetic in nature. Not everyone would go for big black plastic boxes with handles in their living room. They are certainly boring to look at, and often the looks will blend into the subjective impression.

I wouldn't consider my 708P's boring.

OP
iec 60318-4

iec 60318-4

The distinction between monitors and so called Hi Fi speakers continues to blur, at least to me, with more and more using them in their home environment.

I see the difference primarily being aesthetic in nature. Not everyone would go for big black plastic boxes with handles in their living room. They are certainly boring to look at, and often the looks will blend into the subjective impression.

I wouldn't consider my 708P's boring.
How does the 708p sound? There are many opinions in the Korean speaker community that the 705p and 708p sound very unique in the high frequencies. They are based on the fact that the directivity remains very constant up to 10 kHz or more.

Top Bottom