• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I wonder: Are Subjectivist or Objectivist more suggestable to Hypnosis?

Are Subjectivist or Objectivist more suggestable to Hypnosis?

• Objectivists

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Subjectivist

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which often begins with speculation...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which often begins with speculation...

True, but you gather empirical and objective measured data to support our speculations. Key word is objective facts (obtained by measurements from medical instruments that target brain activity related to hypnosis) and not opinionated data

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly.

You take your speculations and attempt to transform them into a testable hypothesis. If you can*, then you go looking for grant $$ to test them.

* If you can't, then you toss them in front of graduate students and see which way they scramble.

Lorenzo74

I really never thought a post like this could ever appear on Audio SCIENCE review.
it’s full of discussion like this elsewhere... subjective was J G Holt, is Steve Guttenberg, J. Darko, ...
But not here, pls.
don’t try to mix “snake oil sellers” with serious competent employees of this business.

Music is art (subjective)
Audio is science (objective)
My Best to all
Lorenzo

Wombat

Master Contributor
Subjectivists can sometimes seem to be hypnotised by audio marketing spin.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Given no other information, I vote (well, I would) Equally susceptible.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Agree.

One can be an 'objectivist' on audio matters yet be a 'subjectivist' on other things, frinstance.

A800

Also there are 1 million or more shades in between the 2 extremes.

cjfrbw

"The power of suggestion, it is strong in this one!"

"I have some cables and the Brooklyn Bridge available for sale!"

A800

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really never thought a post like this could ever appear on Audio SCIENCE review.
it’s full of discussion like this elsewhere... subjective was J G Holt, is Steve Guttenberg, J. Darko, ...
But not here, pls.
don’t try to mix “snake oil sellers” with serious competent employees of this business.

Music is art (subjective)
Audio is science (objective)
My Best to all
Lorenzo

At least by then of his editorship, Holt was an objectivist -- he lamented the lack of respect for DBT in Stereophile and its brethren.

Reactions: Wes

Hiten

Gentlemen, please Look at picture and kindly read below . . .

e837cc50ab8c6b75acdba485ba1b4b98_w200.gif

Powercords make difference

buy Hiten's custom Powercord
transfer money

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it’s the wrong question . We all become subjectivist when we don’t use proper controls or realise what it is or can do for us . So clicked both
For example I would never again try to listen to DAC’s as work done by others has shown them to be transparent to any human listener .
Ofcourse if do a layman casual sighted listening tests and do find differences ? What I do from here sets which camp i’m In :)

Sometimes it’s not that clear as my simple example, so I figure sometimes people with the ambition of being objectivists becomes subjectivist without realising it , taking shortcuts or using assumptions.

But there seems to be a personality type that buys it in every aspect of life the believe in all conspiracies horoscopes alternative medicine healing etc .

But I think being objective or subjective about the engineering niche of audio is not necessarily an indicator of being more or less suggestible to hypnosis? It could be if you also have other personality traits that does this. but I can’t know so that’s the other reason to select both alternatives.

A800

Gentlemen, please Look at picture and kindly read below . . .

e837cc50ab8c6b75acdba485ba1b4b98_w200.gif

transfer money

I found I got problems to do both at the same time.
Also I think it doesn't work somehow.

Blujackaal

Subjectivists easily, There 1 reviewer going around i know. That has not taken olive from harman view that detail/res is a audiophileism?. Then others getting upset as the fact of mimic a FR of another headphone, In a DBT i highly doubt many would know a ER4PT/ER3SE was used to carefully mimic a W40, Andro, 846, more. Since the ER4/ER3 can handle a 10db bass boost with zero problems.

Objectivists can be hypnotised by measurements

Yep, They can be fooled the same way. Like get a faked ER4 chart paper that shows it being <1% ER4SR, Then at the end tell them it was a <0.45% ER4SR the whole time.

Because I've seen so many reviewers get sore that at 80db and under, A 0.9% ER4XR is 0,45%. Go look at DIY's review on Shure's SRH1540 distortion at 80db and below, 0,4%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom