• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I was gifted a 2 channel setup and I am befuddled w/ amp (H20 S250) & preamp (H20 Fire)

AuburnM5

I hope everyone is enjoying Thanksgivig Eve (for my American friends!). A quick story and why I am asking this:

My FIL and I had a bit of an awkward begigining while tryig to getin get to know each other. One day he was over at apartment and noticed my vintage McIntosh MC3500 amp and he lit up like I have never seen before. We talked for hours about music and home audio. That Mac eventually gave me the nerve a couple of years later to ask for his daugther's hand in marriage.!

My wife and I got married in 2006 and blessed him (and my parents) with their only grandkids back in 2014 and 2017. We told our family on Monday that we have our 3rd little audiophile on the way, and you can imagine everyone is ecstatic. Sadly, my FIL was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 10 years ago and his health has deteriorated very quickly this year. Has a congratulatory gift (and a way to keep his love for this hobby going), he gifted us his 2 beloved channel audio system as he is not able to use it much anymore:

His beloved Vandersteen speakers, the wonderful sounding class A tube Lector CD player, and a preamp and amp with heavy separate power supplies I have never heard of and can't find out much info on. I found one review from 2002 on 6moons, but not much else. I was hoping perhaps some people here could shed some light and info on these two pieces:

Amp: H20 S250

Preamp: H20 Fire with "Firewater" power supply.

I don't have any manuals and the rears of the equipment isn't a ton of help label wise.

I am begging for some insight, as I really really want to get this setup for tomorrow and have it playing when he arrives.

I was hoping some people on here might know about these two products. Are they pretty good? I have no manuals and there are not any labels on the rears
E39D0767-FBA0-49CD-A1EE-6FC6FBFCB713.jpeg!DC412C0C-EE8D-41CF-97FA-2C4F8F3672A7.jpeg07827A37-50A4-46BC-A91D-9F73D522FE79.jpeg

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I hope everyone is enjoying Thanksgivig Eve (for my American friends!). A quick story and why I am asking this:

My FIL and I had a bit of an awkward begigining while tryig to getin get to know each other. One day he was over at apartment and noticed my vintage McIntosh MC3500 amp and he lit up like I have never seen before. We talked for hours about music and home audio. That Mac eventually gave me the nerve a couple of years later to ask for his daugther's hand in marriage.!

My wife and I got married in 2006 and blessed him (and my parents) with their only grandkids back in 2014 and 2017. We told our family on Monday that we have our 3rd little audiophile on the way, and you can imagine everyone is ecstatic. Sadly, my FIL was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 10 years ago and his health has deteriorated very quickly this year. Has a congratulatory gift (and a way to keep his love for this hobby going), he gifted us his 2 beloved channel audio system as he is not able to use it much anymore:

His beloved Vandersteen speakers, the wonderful sounding class A tube Lector CD player, and a preamp and amp with heavy separate power supplies I have never heard of and can't find out much info on. I found one review from 2002 on 6moons, but not much else. I was hoping perhaps some people here could shed some light and info on these two pieces:

Amp: H20 S250

Preamp: H20 Fire with "Firewater" power supply.

I don't have any manuals and the rears of the equipment isn't a ton of help label wise.

I am begging for some insight, as I really really want to get this setup for tomorrow and have it playing when he arrives.

I was hoping some people on here might know about these two products. Are they pretty good? I have no manuals and there are not any labels on the rears
View attachment 245638!View attachment 245636View attachment 245637
Here is a link to get you pointed in the right direction: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/h2o2/1.html

sq225917

Major Contributor
That cd player is a real gem, especially if its the top loading version with swing arm mech.

OP
A

AuburnM5

Here is a link to get you pointed in the right direction: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/h2o2/1.html
I have read that review, but it appears to be for the S250 Signature amp and I have the S250 "regular" version I guess. I have zero idea what the difference is. I know a glaring difference is there are no markings AT ALL on the rear panel. Ha. It looks like the signature on the back, but it's just connectors.

I have been in this hobby since college and there is one thing that I can't figure out regarding the preamp. The rear has output 1 and output 2 for the left and right channel, but there is not a selector anywhere on the preamp to change the output. What am I missing?

OP
A

AuburnM5

That cd player is a real gem, especially if its the top loading version with swing arm mech.

I am not going to lie, it took me about 2 hours to figure out how to get it to work! It has a seperate power supply and that obviously has to be turned on. The player itself has toggle switches on the rear to switch turn on analog section and to turn on digitl section. There is a 3rd on the opposite side that has an arrow pointing to it that says "GRND/OFF/ON"

I left it in the up position because I thought it meant it was grounded. Couldn't get it to play until I turned to on. That toggle turned the display on! It has a digital out and output, but I don't know how to get it to work, so I am using the internal DAC and playing it from analog outs.

It is the best sounding CD player I have ever heard. Make my McIntosh MCD30, MCT500, Oppo 103 , and Oppo 205 sound like entry level toys,. I am FLOORED!

Top Bottom