• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want to Buy a Pair of Speakers, Help.

moh33

Hello friends, I have been using jbl lsr308, adam audio s1x, mackie mr 524 in our own studio for a long time. But now I want to move to a better and perfect system. I have received so many suggestions by ear that I am really undecided and I am waiting for an honest answer from you. Which of the reference monitors below can you recommend?

1-) KS Digital C88 (£1,099) Single price
2-) KS Digital A200 (£2,059) Single price
3-) ik Multimedia iLoud Precision MTM (€1199.99) Single price
4-) Adam audio s3x-h (3.389 €) Single price
5-) Focal Twin 6 BE (£1,750) Single price
6-) PMC Result6 (€ 2,299.00) Single price
7-) PMC 6 (£5,760.00) Pair price

I would be glad if you could sort it out.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I wouldn’t pick any from your list but the Neumann and Genelec's are great options. Maybe D&D 8c

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which models of Neumann and genelec do you recommend ?
All of them. You need to supply more information about the intended use (listening distance, position, limitations of size like on a desktop, max SPL required, full range down to 20 Hz required, ...) to get a proper recommendation.

OP
M

moh33

Have you ever listened to a Genelec 8260 or Neumann KH420?
No, I definitely didn't listen. But I'm a little biased because I've seen it in very few studios, it doesn't seem to be preferred very much.

OP
M

moh33

Have you ever listened to a Genelec 8260 or Neumann KH420?
I'm looking at the prices right now, and they are much more expensive than all the speakers I recommend, and I don't have that much money, unfortunately, I have a maximum limit of 5000 or 6000 euros pair. I'm just waiting for suggestions from the above.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Never used either.
Unknown performance.
Probably okay-ish, but nothing special.

Bad. MTM design causes all kinds of weird dispersion... not to mention the huge presence hole.
PMCs are among the worst speakers I've ever heard in my entire life. Boomy, scooped, super bright.

Go for Neumann, Genelec, the three-way Focals (Trio6 or Trio11), or (gasp) ATC.

For 6000 Euro, a pair of KH310s will leave you room for a subwoofer or two. That's endgame performance right there.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen it in very few studios,

Really? Genelec seem to have a monopoly on any studio worth their name. they're very hard to miss.

There is a couple in an Ed Sheeran's video

One of the youtubers i like has a Genelec the one, he's a really good producer.

That's what i remember off the top of my head, their list of references is bottomless:

Matthias McCready

If you want a great sounding pair of speakers, I would recommend listening first, and looking second (even if it is what others Studio's use).

----

Also right now your criteria seems based solely on price, and what you have seen; these are not great guides for a purchase.

If you want more helpful answers I recommend answering these questions from above:

All of them. You need to supply more information about the intended use (listening distance, position, limitations of size like on a desktop, max SPL required, full range down to 20 Hz required, ...) to get a proper recommendation.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking at the prices right now, and they are much more expensive than all the speakers I recommend, and I don't have that much money, unfortunately, I have a maximum limit of 5000 or 6000 euros pair. I'm just waiting for suggestions from the above.
A pair of Neumann KH310 and one or 2 subs are hard to beat for many situations, from near field to far field. I have the predecessor (K&H O300D + Genelec7060B) here in my living room.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Canada these fall below your price range and GLM is included. You'll also want a sub so with sub you should be at budget in Euros.
Speakers
Sub

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Hello friends, I have been using jbl lsr308, adam audio s1x, mackie mr 524 in our own studio for a long time. But now I want to move to a better and perfect system. I have received so many suggestions by ear that I am really undecided and I am waiting for an honest answer from you. Which of the reference monitors below can you recommend?

If you want to be a smart guy: Atc, pmc.
If you want to be a music lover : neumann, Adam.

I use kh420 since 2017 and k+h o300 (now KH310 )since 2009.

YSC

Major Contributor

out of the options I will definitely rule out the PMCs, not good as far as accuracy or so I've seen so far, and seems you prefer the MTM configuration, which from measurements so far, mostly just don't work especially for dispersion and weird interference cancellation issues in return for some SPL, if you insist on the list it looks like the KS A200 could be the best bet, or I would say get some upright 3way like Adam S3-V or Focal Solo 6 Be.

Genelec and Neumann should be good for studio, especially the Neumann with KH750DSP so you could use their MA-1 for room mode correction, or genelec 83xx serise with GLM.
seeing you are using JBL LSR 308 and adam S1X which is quite ok in dispersion department and linear frequency, I think the best bet you can get is get something with enough bass extension and the calibration DSP to counter the room modes or console reflections. IME that EQ out the huge reflection peaks did clean up the sound and imaging a lot

Since you quote in Euro I searched in Thomann,

using 2x 8331 with 7360 and GLM cost around 5.5k Euro, if you go cheaper on 8330 you can even use dual sub if you wish for a full range linear sound in LP, that should work better than your current studio quite a bit. of course I myself is a Genelec fan so it's biased, similar offerings can be found for Neumann

Last edited:
OP
M

moh33

out of the options I will definitely rule out the PMCs, not good as far as accuracy or so I've seen so far, and seems you prefer the MTM configuration, which from measurements so far, mostly just don't work especially for dispersion and weird interference cancellation issues in return for some SPL, if you insist on the list it looks like the KS A200 could be the best bet, or I would say get some upright 3way like Adam S3-V or Focal Solo 6 Be.

Genelec and Neumann should be good for studio, especially the Neumann with KH750DSP so you could use their MA-1 for room mode correction, or genelec 83xx serise with GLM.
seeing you are using JBL LSR 308 and adam S1X which is quite ok in dispersion department and linear frequency, I think the best bet you can get is get something with enough bass extension and the calibration DSP to counter the room modes or console reflections. IME that EQ out the huge reflection peaks did clean up the sound and imaging a lot

Since you quote in Euro I searched in Thomann,

using 2x 8331 with 7360 and GLM cost around 5.5k Euro, if you go cheaper on 8330 you can even use dual sub if you wish for a full range linear sound in LP, that should work better than your current studio quite a bit. of course I myself is a Genelec fan so it's biased, similar offerings can be found for Neumann
Ks digital is not a very well-known company. but it sounds great because I listened to it. Actually, I really want KS Digital, but I'm also undecided about pmc. In fact, iloud ik multimedia needs to listen to the mtm it has just released, and we need to look at its measurements. this is a really difficult decision. I have made a solid investment and I never want to change it again.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ks digital is not a very well-known company. but it sounds great because I listened to it. Actually, I really want KS Digital, but I'm also undecided about pmc. In fact, iloud ik multimedia needs to listen to the mtm it has just released, and we need to look at its measurements. this is a really difficult decision. I have made a solid investment and I never want to change it again.
I would never ever buy speakers for a studio / mixing without measurements. Go for Genelec or Neumann. Proven, great quality, great (lifetime) support and perfect performance, independently confirmed (see the many reviews here). Plus room correction. That’s what I call a lifetime investment. (Yes I am biased with my KH80 DSP and KH750 DSP and MA1 measurement mic).

Top Bottom