• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I/V conversion and opamps - sorting fact from fiction

Here2Learn

Hi all, I'm not an EE, I love audio and try to be as objective about it as possible. But not being an EE means one can fall for claims that ultimately one can find no evidence for and has just wasted time.

Many years ago, I intended learning some audio because you know, there's a website called DIY Audio, and one would think it's helpful. The problem is, it's full of as much subjectivism as the general hifi press. Sure, some know some electronic engineering principles, but whether these are mixed with 'beliefs' based on subjective sound preferences that are not congruent with neutral and transparent sound, is another matter.

So if trying to do targeted learning on a subject via DIY Audio, one can find themself more confused than at the outset. Which claims should be investigated and learnt about, and which are just 'beliefs' without supporting evidence? Well, in regards to I/V design and using opamps in their design, that's what I'd like to know.

Where am I? That intention of building a DAC many years ago transpires to mean I have 2 PCM1794 chips laying around, a Crystal SRC (8416 I belive) and probably need something like XMOS XU316 and some input multiplexing circuit, but not really interested in that aspect. I believe Twisted Pear Audio can help out as ar as input switching.

I know how to generally calculate gain with opamps. I don't know how to calculate the resulting bandwidth at a particular gain. Similarly, I know that in an inverting use-case, I'd usually need a capacitor in parallel with the feedback resistor to achieve stability, but I don't know how to calculate this. Additionally, I read that many, if not most opamps, require capacitance on the supply rails and that this is also calculated somehow.

Here's an example thread I read on DIY Audio that makes we question things: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ideal-i-v-converter-stage.203695/

Towards the end of that thread, some are saying the AD811 with its high slew rate of 2500V/uS makes it ideal for I/V tasks. But, as I understand it, we need any I/V opamp to perform linearly across the audio range (don't know if that means to 20kHz since we're dealing with analog, or if there is some reason for this to at least be the digital sample frequency) and linear performance requires that the available opamp bandwidth for the gain designed for, exceeds this. So for a PCM1794 to output via I/V stage to 4Vrms XLR requires a gain of 20, for which it appears the AD811 would be seriously short of suitable bandwidth. NOTE: I didn't calculate the resulting bandwidth for the AD811 at a gain of 20, but see from published specs, that its high bandwidth drops seriously sharply just at a gain of 2, let alone 20.

Also in the DIY Audio thread link above, this is mentioned: "The snag is that some opamps allegedly can't cope too well with the pulse transitions which accompany the audio" - what does this even mean?

The same post also says: "The ideal solution is probably an inverting opamp, but preceded by a diplexer to send the pulse transitions to a low value resistor. Alternatively a well-designed valve stage (grounded grid?) could cope with the pulses but may add a little second-order distortion." - what does such a diplexer look like? How is one designed for an I/V stage, or is this and "pulse transitions" just BS?

There are a few other longer-running threads on DIY Audio that are like this. I cannot help but perceive some of the claims may be rooted in objectivity and many of them will not be. Furthermore, as all commentary seems based on subjective preference of resulting sound from design types, I am not sure I can trust any of it for simply achieving the best measured performance.

In addition, I am wondering if a DIYer can ever get close to a state of the art I/V stage, assuming a 4Vrms output means ~5.66Vpeak, which to resolve the 22nd bit of DAC performance, must be able to accurately resolve 5.66/(2^22) = 0.00000135V. This seems a ridiculously tough ask, but SOTA measuring DACs (even the top Chi-Fi ones) are achieving this with ease it seems.

To me, requiring an I/V stage to be accurate to within 0.00000135V to resolve to 22 bits seems to require more than just an interest in opamp noise performance, but also its accuracy its peripheral circuit design to output the correct voltage, its stability to maintain it (when required), and how that also probably ties in with exceptionally ultra low noise on the opamp supply rails, which I assume must be equally as stable.

Obviously the last few paragraphs have reached in to my questioning musings, rather than being anything I actually know But in all the areas I've touched upon, what are the facts, what is the fiction, and how does one go about designing for 22-bit performance in an I/V stage? I initially thought DIYers make stuff comparable to SOTA units for less money, but given my illustration above, I am not so sure - it might just be an exercise in folly if one is not a seriously competent and trained/educated EE already.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your conclusion is correct. State of the art DACs are designed by teams of highly specialized engineers who have spent many years refining their skills. The yearly license fees for their CAD tools alone costs more than most people earn. I am a PhD design engineer at a very top analog chip company and I couldn't design a sota DAC, because that isn't my speciality.

DIY is about the fun of doing something and the learning involved, not about making a competive product.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not take a look at manufacturer's application guides first. In particular the document titled "Current-to-voltage converter circuit for audio DACs".

OP
H

Here2Learn

DIY is about the fun of doing something and the learning involved, not about making a competive product.
I am generally what I would call a purposeful learner. If something is not useful for me to know, then usually I won't learn it. In the case of electronics, I'd only want to learn swathes of audio-related areas in order to try building something competitive to what I would otherwise have bought. If I have no chance of that, I will lack suitable motivation.

here are a couple of links with OP amp theory. They contain what you want to know. (About OP amps.)
Thanks, I will give them a read, and in view of my personality type for learning, see how far I get. Who knows, I might read enough that results in good early experiment results, upon which I enjoy improving, so might feel suitably motivated to persist against the seeming conclusion I don't stand a chance of achieving something SOTA.

In particular the document titled "Current-to-voltage converter circuit for audio DACs".
Thanks for this. Despite previously glancing at the OPA1612 datasheet because it's used in so many DACs and the Purifi input buffer, I had not seen a reference to this document. It even is using it on the PCM1794A, which is my exact use-case, since I have these chips laying around. Lots of nice calculations also.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hanks, I will give them a read, and in view of my personality type for learning, see how far I get. Who knows, I might read enough that results in good early experiment results, upon which I enjoy improving, so might feel suitably motivated to persist against the seeming conclusion I don't stand a chance of achieving something SOTA.
It's another arrow in your quiver. Good reference material. :D

robwpdx

You might look up Walter Jung's op amp books. He was involved with the AES. Best with your project!

Zapper

I am generally what I would call a purposeful learner. If something is not useful for me to know, then usually I won't learn it. In the case of electronics, I'd only want to learn swathes of audio-related areas in order to try building something competitive to what I would otherwise have bought. If I have no chance of that, I will lack suitable motivation.
One of the reasons there are so many wack-a-doodle theories in audio is because there are so many guys who want to make something unique and better but lack the skills and resources to do so, so they come up with a novel theory that redefines what "good" is. Then by this new definition, their creations are the best.

I suggest that rather than trying to take on an existing, highly evolved product like DACs, you would find more satisfaction developing a device with unique functions that doesn't have a lot of entrenched, well funded competitors.

Here's an example: at least one company sells active bass traps - a device like a subwoofer that absorbs deep bass rather than produce it. Maybe one could make a device that converts standard subs into bass traps. Maybe there could be control software like Dirac that coordinates multiple subs acting as bass traps to suppress room modes. Or maybe that's a dumb idea. The point is that it's a type of device that isn't being done by companies with billion dollar budgets.

OP
H

Here2Learn

I suggest that rather than trying to take on an existing, highly evolved product like DACs, you would find more satisfaction developing a device with unique functions that doesn't have a lot of entrenched, well funded competitors.
<tongue-in-cheek> Or take on the existing, non-evolved products like cables, and find statisfaction making money by pandering to people's expectation bias and desire for oversized jewel-like cables that look like they were stolen from the local power station. :p ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
<tongue-in-cheek> Or take on the existing, non-evolved products like cables, and find statisfaction making money by pandering to people's expectation bias and desire for oversized jewel-like cables that look like they were stolen from the local power station. :p ;)
And there, you have a real chance at easy money.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read the datasheet and app notes for DACs you can pick up a lot of good tips. It's in the manufacturer's interest that you succeed.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The very first thing you must do is to purchase a thesaurus, so that you can flower the advertisements with loads of adjectives.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The very first thing you must do is to purchase a thesaurus, so that you can flower the advertisements with loads of adjectives.
Resort to mysticism, and hint at secret knowledge. You may be incapable of running a can opener, but with this cable you'll run rings around the finest engineers!

Gradius

If you want quality OPAMPs, just use metal can type. They are always better than the epoxy/pc (aka common/normal) alternative.

This information is directly from opamps engineers.

The "solid state" ones, should be good/better, but then, to get precise analysis (with APx555B for e.g.) isn't easy and haven't found any (still).

OP
H

Here2Learn

If you read the datasheet and app notes for DACs you can pick up a lot of good tips. It's in the manufacturer's interest that you succeed.
Sure, but they don't tell you how to supply stable power to opamp supply rails that are stable to tens of millionths of a volt.

I've discovered a few things since my original post.
  1. A PSU thread on DIY Audio for a phono stage that has nanovolt levels of noise. Over 900 pages though.. so will be a slow read. Would be nice to repurpose for generating reference supply rails for DAC chip, opamps etc.
  2. The Hypex regulators over at DIYClassD.com offer 290nV noise, but only seem to be for +/- 12V supplies (Hypex HPR12, HNR12 respectively).
  3. Many engineers actually prefer to use batteries as a starting point for such low levels of noise (but the above two points are not that scenario).
It seems to me, that SOTA DAC performance (also ADC) is related to accuracy and stability of PSU. I see no reason why if engineering such PSUs for opamp supplies, that one wouldn't do the same for the DAC chip supply also. What I know I don't know is... how to keep such rails clean and free of EM/RF interference that would be above the levels of noise trying to be maintained. That seems another type of deep knowledge art/skill in itself, so knowing how to optimally route reference rails is definitely going to be a thing.

If you want quality OPAMPs, just use metal can type. They are always better than the epoxy/pc (aka common/normal) alternative.

This information is directly from opamps engineers.

Is this evidenced anywhere, or just anecdotal? I can intuitively see that shielding an opamp from EM/RF would have some benefits in terms of handling extremely low signal levels with accuracy, but what's the real story for the claim?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thermal conduction could be a reason when the opamp has to provide some current. In that case the chip temp would not rise as much that quickly which could result in slightly better distortion in such circumstances.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but they don't tell you how to supply stable power to opamp supply rails that are stable to tens of millionths of a volt.
Some do, actually. Recently ultra low noise LDOs have become available. Op amps typically have great PSRR to 100s of Hertz, so the trick is to filter the higher frequencies. For that I've used the good old capacitance multiplier, an emitter follower bipolar with a big cap on the base. Yes, there is a lot to designing state of the art stuff.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the case of electronics, I'd only want to learn swathes of audio-related areas in order to try building something competitive to what I would otherwise have bought. If I have no chance of that, I will lack suitable motivation.
I'd say that it's pretty hard to build audio electronics that are competitive with SOTA on a DIY basis. But not having any EE skills, that's just a general impression.

With speakers, it's actually achievable because it depends in part on being able or willing to do things that aren't economical at scale. Concrete-filled speakers, 3D printing, just buying really expensive drivers, making the speakers really huge, etc.

If you can think of a technique in electronics that is practical enough to do at home but not practical to manufacture, you may find an avenue to SOTA-like performance. However, since electronics don't depend on physical bulk / dimensions / weight, I am not sure such a path exists.

OP
H

Here2Learn

Some do, actually. Recently ultra low noise LDOs have become available. Op amps typically have great PSRR to 100s of Hertz, so the trick is to filter the higher frequencies. For that I've used the good old capacitance multiplier, an emitter follower bipolar with a big cap on the base. Yes, there is a lot to designing state of the art stuff.
Thanks for the input. More for me to study, but valuable.

OP
H

Here2Learn

I'd say that it's pretty hard to build audio electronics that are competitive with SOTA on a DIY basis. But not having any EE skills, that's just a general impression.

With speakers, it's actually achievable because it depends in part on being able or willing to do things that aren't economical at scale. Concrete-filled speakers, 3D printing, just buying really expensive drivers, making the speakers really huge, etc.

If you can think of a technique in electronics that is practical enough to do at home but not practical to manufacture, you may find an avenue to SOTA-like performance. However, since electronics don't depend on physical bulk / dimensions / weight, I am not sure such a path exists.
I have thought the same for some time. But I happen to have some electronic parts laying around, so I thought I'd learn what I can and see if I get motivated to try for SOTA. Speakers are interesting. It's actually a long-held dream to go down this route and have a little cottage business building speakers. I've studied copious amounts of theory, but without practice. Suitable space as a workshop is the issue for me. Personally, I'd never use concrete as I hate the stuff. I'd more likely go for epoxy-granite or a polymer acrylic resin (like Corian), or something I can thermoform.

Top Bottom