• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I thought this was cool

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like a magic trick.
Shame is not an HD video.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The gas cooktop is really cool, but I can't see that working when its hot- may have to wait for it to cool before retracting it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering how they made those parts. It is wire Electrical Discharge Machining. EDM, not to be confused with Electronic Dance Music. :)

A brass wire carries very high voltage. The material to be machined is placed in a tank of liquid dielectric fluid which can be de-ionized water. The electrical pulses at high frequency cut the material and the brass wire actually never touches the part being machined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining#Wire_EDM

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wow, that is just amazing.

One of those pieces reminded me of the Fifth Element Temple key...

1555637574504.png

key.JPG

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering how they made those parts. It is wire Electrical Discharge Machining. EDM, not to be confused with Electronic Dance Music.
Can that do the rounded ball shapes they were showing? I cannot see how a wire could do that.
I just searched for Electrical Discharge Machining in tidal, sadly no hits.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can that do the rounded ball shapes they were showing? I cannot see how a wire could do that.
I just searched for Electrical Discharge Machining in tidal, sadly no hits.
I wondered the same thing myself. Even the helical shaped pieces seem hard to do with a straight wire. However, rotating the machined piece and doing multiple slices in small steps could certainly create most any shape desired I'd think.

I helped make some speakers once out of multiple layers of flat MDF. They were stacked vertically, 3/4 inch thick. I used a jig saw to cut rounded complex shapes and angled each layer on the cut. I and a friend were able to create compound curves for a complex rounded low diffraction shape. But we only made a series of straight angled cuts. We did have to sand the end result, but that was mainly for glue that oozed out of the clamped together pieces. The wood itself fit together just so, and really needed nothing.

Top Bottom