• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I thought it was just me going deaf

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After watching DUNE I was almost deaf by the constant drone of the soundtrack.
Blade Runner 2049!!! OMG it sounded like some subwoofer torture track. On the other hand, I read that for Stop Making Sense they mixed a second soundtrack for home listening, which is so different from a theater. It's funny, people will discuss where the rears and side rears etc should be, and dipole monopole bipole tripole...but every theater I've seen has rising seats, and speakers distributed well above those seats all along the wall. Nothing like any home whatsoever, even customer theaters in magazines.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[Audyssey's] "Midrange Compensation"
Yeah, what the heck is up with that? A tool to flatten response and it has a dip on purpose, that I can't defeat? (without the App). That's like that PS Audio Sprout, with the nondefeatable huge 70 Hz boost. BOO!!!! HISS!!!!
- Totally agreed that turning off the dip and Dynamic is an improvement, at least on the Focal 936/CC900/SR900 system we did, plus a gentle 1 dB boost of the upper mids.

Andreas007

I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan and have noticed this in the new ST: Discovery series. It seems the dialog track is so full of sounds beyond dialog its difficult to hear the dialog. Also the music and effects tracks are louder than they should be - drowning out the dialog. It's almost like they can't stand to have any part of the soundtrack quiet. When I watch ST: The Next Generation (from the early 1990's) on the exact same equipment, from the same streaming service, this isn't a problem at all.
Well said!
Today, almost everything has to be big, enormous and overwhelming to get recognised.
What a wrong direction! I guess it is the attempt to cover the poor story writing we’re experiencing for the last ten years or so.

Top Bottom