• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think I figured out what the ‘DAC signature sound’ every YouTuber is talking about.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since the majority of the DACs that are being pushed to the public at the consumer level absolutely suck. And they often do not have the necessary Dynamic range to produce the full dynamic range provided by the CD quality format (106 db i think?)

it’s very much possible that this ‘signature sound’ thingy they keep mentioning is just the imperfections in these DACs disguised (intentionally?) as ‘Character’ or ‘Color’

I mean they cannot all collectively lie to each other unless they realize these lies are actually true lol.

Reactions: wje

wasnotwasnotwas

If you exclude Topping, the majority of the popular brands bellow 500$ cannot reach that score.

Name some brands /models that are being pushed this way without 96dB range please.

Or that are being pushed as you say but you don't know how it measures. Genuine question by the way

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If you exclude Topping, the majority of the popular brands bellow 500$ cannot reach that score.
You can run the numbers yourself, if you wish, of things that have been tested here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

I did ADCs and DACs (all of the relevant boxes I noticed) less than ca. $700 (that was the easiest point that I could drag to near 500 smackers).
1606169456050.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Brands that are viciously pushed as budget solutions for consumers by YouTubers, Like audioquest. Almost never reach that score.

By "score" you mean dynamic range. Did I understand correctly?

And if so, what do you believe to be the minimum dynamic range necessary for a DAC to not have "character" or "colour"?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Name some brands /models that are being pushed this way without 96dB range please.

Or that are being pushed as you say but you don't know how it measures. Genuine question by the way

Basically all of Schiit’s line up except the modi3 and all of Audioquest ‘s line up.

The bluesound node 2i

Very very pushed products that have terrible performance.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, your tranducers perform way worse in THD+N compared to solid state electronics like DACs and amps. The distortion figures in DACs are just being masked by the distortions induced with transducers. Hence there are test here such as https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...test-distort-audibility-of-distortions.10163/ that adds distortion to sound output, but even a -60 dBFS level of distortion is inaudible when music is playing at normal volumes due to masking effect.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By "score" you mean dynamic range. Did I understand correctly?

And if so, what do you believe to be the minimum dynamic range necessary for a DAC to not have "character" or "colour"?

i mean if you’re playing a CD track on a DAC that cannot achieve CD dynamic range some of the sound will be covered by noise.

this phenomenon will change from DAC to DAC. Thus the ‘sound color’.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically all of Schiit’s line up except the modi3 and all of Audioquest ‘s line up.

The bluesound node 2i

Very very pushed products that have terrible performance.

I'm sure some of these products are terrible enough to have a slight, subtle audible effect on SQ.

But I expect psychological/social factors are overwhelmingly the primary cause of beliefs about DAC "sound signatures" etc.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i mean if you’re playing a CD track on a DAC that cannot achieve CD dynamic range some of the sound will be covered by noise.

this phenomenon will change from DAC to DAC. Thus the ‘sound color’.

Not necessarily. Have you tried listening to audio with only e.g. 8, 12 or 14 bits of dynamic range? It's very hard to hear the differences between 12, 14 and 16 bits using the kind of gear most people own in the kinds of environments most people listen in at home.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, your tranducers perform way worse in THD+N compared to solid state electronics like DACs and amps. The distortion figures in DACs are just being masked by the distortions induced with transducers. Hence there are test here such as https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...test-distort-audibility-of-distortions.10163/ that adds distortion to sound output, but even a -60 dBFS level of distortion is inaudible when music is playing at normal volumes due to masking effect.

The noise off your DAC will be amplified meaning any errors in this process are definitely audible. If not as audible. Everything in your chain should have adequate performance.

wasnotwasnotwas

I think it's more likely that they feel the need to attribute some unique characteristics to each product regardless of whether they believe they actually have one or not.

It is, after all, pretty much just a type of marketing after all. Each product needs a story.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure some of these products are terrible enough to have a slight, subtle audible effect on SQ.

But I expect psychological/social factors are overwhelmingly the primary cause of beliefs about DAC "sound signatures" etc.

it’s hard for me to believe that this whole disillusionment is not backed up by measurements some how and it’s mostly psychological. But indeed it could be a significant part of it.

Top Bottom