• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think I’m done

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Better harsh truth than sweet lies. And it's not like I said "you're an idiot for buying this", no?

Harsh, but not necessarily true. You haven't heard them anywhere and certainly not in her room. She has a DAC with built in EQ anyway. Your bias is if it isn't brand G, it isn't worth listening to.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Maybe this isn't the right thing to say to someone who just bought new speakers.

No, its completly stupid, makes me feel like.
Kotzen.jpg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@voodooless I would give it a smaller boost at 400 hz for headroom and it looks like a it much in the graphic. The 3k to 4k range might be ok with less boost for a BBC dip and headroom again.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain to me this floorstander trend where midwoofers are as big as the woofers? It doesn't make any sense.

I think it goes along with the bigger trend over the last 20 to 30 years where woofers and mid range drivers were shrank down to create smaller cabinets to accommodate WAF use in living rooms.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Your bias is if it isn't brand G, it isn't worth listening to.
What do you gain by uttering such bullshit? While I'm probably going to continue buying Genelec, I consider KEF, Neumann, Danley to be very good and honest too (even if somehow limited by their market for some). If you had said that my bias is about brands not presenting any useful measurements of their products, you'd have been right.

Anyway, on such a website, it should be common sense that such a raw response is quite mediocre. But I guess that having both "scientifically" minded and mildly audiophile crowds on the same forum is going to highlight some differences like these.

tonapo

For my Genelec volume change is actually changing input sensitivity so there is no degradation of doing so.

Which Genelec's? I would like to go there next, maybe the 8030c. I am not sure I could accomodate a sub in my desk set-up, but would love to try. I am glad someone else is using the DAC successfully with some Genelec's.

Trell

Major Contributor
Which Genelec's? I would like to go there next, maybe the 8030c. I am not sure I could accomodate a sub in my desk set-up, but would love to try. I am glad someone else is using the DAC successfully with some Genelec's.

I've the 8330A and using the GLM Kit, including a Genelec subwoofer with one system. The 8030C has a sensitivity adjustment using a physical control but the range is quite small so users with, say a MOTU M2/M4, that has high output levels find that the volume control has only a little range of use. Some of them use a passive attenuator to alleviate this. The 8330A (and other SAM enabled Genelec monitors/subwoofers) can set a much wider range of input sensitivity using the GLM kit add-on.

Edit: ADI-2 DAC has AutoRef or four manual set hardware output levels to alleviate the input sensitivity issue. Before I got the ADI-2 DAC I used a MOTU M2 so the Genelec GLM volume level was welcome. Currently the MOTU M2 is used as a mic preamp.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
What do you gain by uttering such bullshit? While I'm probably going to continue buying Genelec, I consider KEF, Neumann, Danley to be very good and honest too (even if somehow limited by their market for some). If you had said that my bias is about brands not presenting any useful measurements of their products, you'd have been right.

Anyway, on such a website, it should be common sense that such a raw response is quite mediocre. But I guess that having both "scientifically" minded and mildly audiophile crowds on the same forum is going to highlight some differences like these.

See post #62.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, it's quite bad. That big LF bump isn't good but nothing compared to that mess in the sensitive band (3.5 kHz dip followed by wide 5~10 kHz peak) which is simply horrifying. Your best bet is to EQ based on anechoic data or use Dirac which does whole spectrum correction.
Actually, given the big grin, I'm thinking her best bet is to leave well enough alone. Chasing "objectively perfect" measurements when one is already pleased with the sound strikes me as a fool's errand.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me this floorstander trend where midwoofers are as big as the woofers? It doesn't make any sense.

They are only 125mm (5"), so not what we traditionally would have considered a mid-woofer. They are crossed over at 370 and 2.8KHz. Personally I don't like from a design standpoint a crossover frequency of 370, but having the same radiating surface for the driver below and above has some advantages w.r.t. transition. They appear to be using the exact same cones for woofers and mids (at least look the same), so I hope we can assume the motor is different.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

They are only 125mm (5"), so not what we traditionally would have considered a mid-woofer. They are crossed over at 370 and 2.8KHz. Personally I don't like from a design standpoint a crossover frequency of 370, but having the same radiating surface for the driver below and above has some advantages w.r.t. transition. They appear to be using the exact same cones for woofers and mids (at least look the same), so I hope we can assume the motor is different.
Indeed the motors are different. The three woofers are in there own ported enclosure with the mids each in a sealed enclosure. At least according to the AE marketing material.
I still think they sound great and I’m very happy!

Reactions: Wes
OP
Eidie

Eidie

Actually, given the big grin, I'm thinking her best bet is to leave well enough alone. Chasing "objectively perfect" measurements when one is already pleased with the sound strikes me as a fool's errand.
Thank you MaxBuck. This seems to be a point that gets lost. To continuously chase the self imposed unattainable is a great route to penury! I put this system together intent that, barring failure, it would last me, happily, 20+ years. It’s early days but at the moment I think I have achieved this. I will have a play with REW and the PEQ but as an education. If it aint broke why fix it?

David Harper

I also think I'm done. Because I decided that for me the audiophile compulsion to spend more and more money on gear was, in fact, an addiction not to the pursuit of better sound but rather an addiction to spending money on toys.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will have a play with REW and the PEQ but as an education. If it aint broke why fix it?

Once you get your measurement mic you'll know how the speakers are responding in your space. There are many guides for using REW out there so fixing up the response in the lower regions (if needed) will truly make it the end game.

I'm done too unless someone gives me a few Benchmarks or Purifys, it's nice to know your signal is as clean as it can be before it reaches the speakers.

And thanks for plugging the book thread!

Trell

Major Contributor
Once you get your measurement mic you'll know how the speakers are responding in your space. There are many guides for using REW out there so fixing up the response in the lower regions (if needed) will truly make it the end game.

I'm done too unless someone gives me a few Benchmarks or Purifys, it's nice to know your signal is as clean as it can be before it reaches the speakers.

And thanks for plugging the book thread!

Soon enough he'll know that he entered a bottomless rabbit hole when he bought a measurement mic and downloaded REW :D At least Alice hit the bottom.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I also think I'm done. Because I decided that for me the audiophile compulsion to spend more and more money on gear was, in fact, an addiction not to the pursuit of better sound but rather an addiction to spending money on toys.
Very true. Much better to spend on music. Surely the point of having the system in the first place!

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Soon enough he'll know that he entered a bottomless rabbit hole when he bought a measurement mic and downloaded REW :D At least Alice hit the bottom.
Can I have some potions on the way down?

OP
Eidie

Eidie

You know if one wasn’t born to be mild one could be upset by your second paragraph. As it is...whatever.

The Genelecs that I would have bought (8351b + GLM) are 50% more expensive in Aus. (in real terms) than they are in the US. We can only buy what is available and within budget (Danley are not available in Aus.). The amps and dac were purchased because of their stellar measurements. Transducers are more difficult. Tasmania has one “hi-fi” shop. With limited range (low range B&W and Monitor Audio). I had no choice other than to trust.

Still happy!

I am curious...

Do you use room correction with your Genelecs (GLM)?

Room correction is a simplification. It’s really “room and transducer correction” is it not? We work with what we have.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You know if one wasn’t born to be mild one could be upset by your second paragraph. As it is...whatever.
Well, I don't need to be nice to personal bullshit.
The Genelecs that I would have bought (8351b + GLM) are 50% more expensive in Aus. (in real terms) than they are in the US. We can only buy what is available and within budget (Danley are not available in Aus.). The amps and dac were purchased because of their stellar measurements. Transducers are more difficult. Tasmania has one “hi-fi” shop. With limited range (low range B&W and Monitor Audio). I had no choice other than to trust.
Which is why I'm not blaming you for your choice. It's just a sad fact that the response is quite mediocre for the price, if we're to believe these measurements' accuracy.
Though I'd have considered KEF, in your situation; even if it may have meant buying blind and online. The R7 appears to be the same price as those AE520 on some Australian websites.
Do you use room correction with your Genelecs (GLM)?
Can't use GLM, I have the analogue models for now.
Room correction is a simplification. It’s really “room and transducer correction” is it not? We work with what we have.
Hmmm? There are many speakers that don't need to be corrected anechoically. LF is always messed by them room, sure, but that's not an argument for the hypothesis that you're correcting the transducer response; in fact, under the Schroeder frequency, the transuder linearity doesn't account for much, it's the room that's playing.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Well, I don't need to be nice to personal bullshit.

Which is why I'm not blaming you for your choice. It's just a sad fact that the response is quite mediocre for the price, if we're to believe these measurements' accuracy.
Though I'd have considered KEF, in your situation; even if it may have meant buying blind and online. The R7 appears to be the same price as those AE520 on some Australian websites.

Can't use GLM, I have the analogue models for now.

Hmmm? There are many speakers that don't need to be corrected anechoically. LF is always messed by them room, sure, but that's not an argument for the hypothesis that you're correcting the transducer response; in fact, under the Schroeder frequency, the transuder linearity doesn't account for much, it's the room that's playing.
Thank you q3cpma! I appreciate your honesty. The R7s were my first choice but was not an option as the dealer I use don’t stock them (the tale is complicated and, frankly, boring). Whilst the AE520s may have a mediocre FR they’re still the best speakers I’ve ever owned. They do me.

Top Bottom