• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think I’m done

Eidie

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Acoustic Energy AE520
They look impressive with that array of woofers! Nice that they put the tweeter one step lower. When it is too high you have to sit far for them to not sound that way.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can someone explain to me this floorstander trend where midwoofers are as big as the woofers? It doesn't make any sense.
I don't know acoustically but from manufacturing, they get better quantity pricing and machining of the baffle requires less tool change.

tuga

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me this floorstander trend where midwoofers are as big as the woofers? It doesn't make any sense.

Design a midwoofer. Use it as a midwoofer in a 2-way, use it as a mid and as a woofer in a 3-way. Cost-cutting?
Jack of All Trades, Master of None...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gives often a B&W like euphonic presence dip in the sound power do to the high beaming before the tweeter takes over, also most original and retro BBC loudspeakers behave similar.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice system. No shortage of power and clean. Wow those speaks really are towers.
Any measurements of them anywhere?

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
3x5" woofers is not much more than a single 8" though.. but as for everything, there's a place for thin waf-design speakers too. :)

OP
Eidie

Eidie

They look impressive with that array of woofers! Nice that they put the tweeter one step lower. When it is too high you have to sit far for them to not sound that way.
Sorry Guru, two mids in a D’Appolito with the tweeter. Three woofers in their own enclosure below. Different motot structures between mids and woofers. Allegedly. I can’t wait for the data!

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Design a midwoofer. Use it as a midwoofer in a 2-way, use it as a mid and as a woofer in a 3-way. Cost-cutting?
Jack of All Trades, Master of None...
A valid point. Not being defensive but...

Allegedly the motors are different between the mids and woofers. Who am I to say. All I know is I’m very happy!

jae

Major Contributor
Not yet. Next purchase is a calibrated mike. Then learn REW. Then yes!
Then rest assured, aren't "done" yet! Arguably the mic and processing you apply can still be seen as still a key part of the system if you choose to implement it. Experimenting with positioning and axis is another journey. It may impact your experience more than any other component, maybe with exception to the speakers themselves o_O

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Then rest assured, aren't "done" yet! Arguably the mic and processing you apply is still a key part of the system if you choose to implement it. And it can impact your experience more than any other component, maybe with exception to the speakers themselves.
You are absolutely correct. In the meantime my face hurts!
I can look forwards, to some future, when it will again. Even more!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom