• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think I’m done

gsp1971

Forum Donor
How’s your Polish?
Non-existent. Google translate for the lab commentary.
Red line: On-axis (tweeter height)
Black line: on-axis with grille (excellent grille, does not produce any anomalies whatsoever

Brown line: 15o off-axis horizontal (can hardly tell it apart from on-axis, so good horizontal directivity)
Yellow line: 30o off-axis horizontal (follows the on-axis and 15o lines well, so more good horizontal directivity)

Green / Blue lines: 7o off-axis down / up vertically (good vertical directivity as well)

So it seems they are not fussy with placement, you do not have to point them exactly at you, or sit exactly at tweeter level.
Other than the dip in the 2-4 kHz region (quite common in many speakers), they seem to operate within +2dB from 200 Hz to about 12kHz.

Of course spinorama data will provide more detail, including reflections and estimated in room response, but all in all it looks good.

Congrats on your end game! Hope to reach that point in the near future.

1626346901853.png

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Non-existent. Google translate for the lab commentary.
Red line: On-axis (tweeter height)
Black line: on-axis with grille (excellent grille, does not produce any anomalies whatsoever

Brown line: 15o off-axis horizontal (can hardly tell it apart from on-axis, so good horizontal directivity)
Yellow line: 30o off-axis horizontal (follows the on-axis and 15o lines well, so more good horizontal directivity)

Green / Blue lines: 7o off-axis down / up vertically (good vertical directivity as well)

So it seems they are not fussy with placement, you do not have to point them exactly at you, or sit exactly at tweeter level.
Other than the dip in the 2-4 kHz region (quite common in many speakers), they seem to operate within +2dB from 200 Hz to about 12kHz.

Of course spinorama data will provide more detail, including reflections and estimated in room response, but all in all it looks good.

Congrats on your end game! Hope to reach that point in the near future.

View attachment 141256
Thank you gsp1971! I really appreciate your effort. And I’m grateful for the data. Kind of confirms what I think I’m heating.
Good luck on your endgame. I hope you get there. Though it may make your face hurt!

Hate to lobby, but...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...uest-for-a-new-forum-books.24939/#post-846829

OP
Eidie

Eidie

3x5" woofers is not much more than a single 8" though.. but as for everything, there's a place for thin waf-design speakers too. :)
And Home Acceptance Factor. Everything I hold dear is in a 6.5m x 6.5m space. With 4m ceilings. Height is unimportant. Width is.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Thank you gsp1971! I really appreciate your effort. And I’m grateful for the data. Kind of confirms what I think I’m heating.
Good luck on your endgame. I hope you get there. Though it may make your face hurt!

No problem.
Not to distract you from your lobbying, but for comparison, this is how my current Bowers & Wilkins home cinema system performs.
I cannot find any spinorama measurements for those, but frankly I don't think a lot can be salvaged from that all-over-the-place tweeter.
No hint of linearity on any axis past 3kHz ... ouch!

1626347975420.png

OP
Eidie

Eidie

No problem.
Not to distract you from your lobbying, but for comparison, this is how my current Bowers & Wilkins home cinema system performs.
I cannot find any spinorama measurements for those, but frankly I don't think a lot can be salvaged from that all-over-the-place tweeter.
No hint of linearity on any axis past 3kHz ... ouch!

View attachment 141260
That is an interesting comparison, would I be right in thinking I got lucky?

I live in rural Tasmania, a state with one “hi-fi” shop. The AE520s were bought, unheard, from a shop in Melbourne. A, barely, educated punt. My face hurts!

gsp1971

Forum Donor
That is an interesting comparison, would I be right in thinking I got lucky?

I live in rural Tasmania, a state with one “hi-fi” shop. The AE520s were bought, unheard, from a shop in Melbourne. A, barely, educated punt. My face hurts!
If they bring a smile to your face, what else is there to say? Enjoy!
1626348942350.png

OP
Eidie

Eidie

kschmit2

Nice system. No shortage of power and clean. Wow those speaks really are towers.
Any measurements of them anywhere?
more measurements here:
https://acoustic-energy.de/wp-conte...nergy-AE520-stereoplay-2021-03_lowres_pdf.pdf
fr ae520.png

same measurements (same publishing house) here: https://acoustic-energy.de/wp-conte...ic-Energy-AE-520-Audio-2021-05_lowres_pdf.pdf

The audio.com.pl measurements shared earlier cut off the prominent peaks around 20 kHz: https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3384-acoustic-energy-ae520#laboratory
64878-acoustic-energy-ae-509-audiocompl-lab1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zvu
OP
Eidie

Eidie

Thank you kschmit2. Could you interpret those measurements please? I know I can no longer hear 20kHz. The rest looks good to me. Am I wrong? And....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...uest-for-a-new-forum-books.24939/#post-846829

kschmit2

Thank you kschmit2. Could you interpret those measurements please? I know I can no longer hear 20kHz. The rest looks good to me. Am I wrong? And....

I was just suprised to see that region cut off in the audio.com.pl measurements. Of course it is just outside the audible range for most listeners. You shouldn't worry about it and enjoy your beloved system!
Btw, I updated my previous post with screencaps of the measurement. They align fairly well.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I was just suprised to see that region cut off in the audio.com.pl measurements. Of course it is just outside the audible range for most listeners. You shouldn't worry about it and enjoy your beloved system!
Btw, I updated my previous post with screencaps of the measurement. They align fairly well.
Thank you. It seems to be something that gets lost. Why change what you have if it makes you happy. The 19th century name for TB was consumption. The same (consumption) is killing millions today.

I still have an achey face!

Books help! And make it worse!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Most people dont know what they talk about. Try to hear such a high Q peak at 20khz. For 99.99999 percent of humans its not hearable. And iam sure this number is on the conservative side. If i look at FR of a speaker and see this, i think,oh cool it could add some very airy air to the speaker. That i wont hear but at least i could imagine, i could hear. I mean this peak is so airy its more like a very thin hydrogen air in a interstellar hydrogen cloud air. ;)

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor

Honestly, it's quite bad. That big LF bump isn't good but nothing compared to that mess in the sensitive band (3.5 kHz dip followed by wide 5~10 kHz peak) which is simply horrifying. Your best bet is to EQ based on anechoic data or use Dirac which does whole spectrum correction.

Trell

Major Contributor
Most people dont know what they talk about. Try to hear such a high Q peak at 20khz. For 99.99999 percent of humans its not hearable. And iam sure this number is on the conservative side.

I would love to be able to hear anything near 20 kHz, or anything above 13 kHz for that matter.

Last edited:
OP
Eidie

Eidie

Honestly, it's quite bad. That big LF bump isn't good but nothing compared to that mess in the sensitive band (3.5 kHz dip followed by wide 5~10 kHz peak) which is simply horrifying. Your best bet is to EQ based on anechoic data or use Dirac which does whole spectrum correction.
Really? I’ve still got a huge grin!

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I would love to be able to hear anything near 20 kHz, or anything above 16 kHz for that matter.
It is a happy day when I can feel the 2 x 4. 16kHz? Oh yeah!

OP
Eidie

Eidie

My experience (and not only mine) is that very good and neutral speakers don't wow you unless they also include a good amount of headroom that makes you want to use it. They're just right.
Please forgive my ignorance. I don’t understand this. Please could you explain?

Top Bottom